Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is old news, but I heard this from Eleni herself at an autograph-signing session. It might not be new to her fans, but I will proceed anyway...

Eleni said that her grandmother literally lives across the street from Mark Philippoussis' grandmother back home in their native Greece. One day, Eleni's grandmother decided to invite Mark's grandmother over for tea and they started talking. It was during one of their conversations that they found out that both had grandkids who played tennis professionally - Eleni on the women's tour and Mark on the men's tour. Talk about a coincidence! The grandmothers became and remained friends.

Eleni also mentioned that she first started playing tennis when a professional (she didn't say who) offered her a free tennis lesson when she was 11. Her town had just had its first tennis courts installed and it was quite new to her. At the time, she was playing other sports and tennis didn't interest her in the slightest. The tennis pro had one hour to spare before he had to leave. He encouraged Eleni to give it a go. He saw potential in her. She loved it and continued with the sport.

Eleni also has a bit of a crush on Mark Philippoussis. She said that she would love to have Mark as a boyfriend, but that they've never really met, so it seems a bit impossible for her at the moment. She thinks that he's very good-looking and also added that "you never know, we'll see," then cue slightly mischievous grin. She feels she's in with a chance because they have similar backgrounds and feels that they would have a lot in common. A fan then asked her if their grandmothers had ever tried to match-make them. Eleni said that it would be a unique coincidence if she and Mark ever found themselves in the same place.

Hmmm, maybe Eleni will get her big chance at the Australian Open next week. ;)

I knew very little about Eleni Daniilidou before this year, except that she was injured for a while and then returned to the tour in 2001 with a vengeance, doing very well primarily at a 75K challenger event in Dubai before qualifying and going on to make the third round at the US Open. All of a sudden, I know one of her deepest, darkest desires. hehe.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
Thanks for posting that! I like Eleni, andI think the WTA benefits form having players from a wide variety of countries.:)

As for her Poo Dream, I think she will have to give that up! I don't know if he likes women! :eek:

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Love these little anecdotes. Eleni's played two Slams so far - second round of Wimbledon as well - and she's not lost in a Slam first round yet, so it would be pretty cool if she kept that record going.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Funny story.

It's great to see Eleni in the draw again at a slam; I hope 2002 is her
breakout year. The kid's very entertaining- sort of the lost love
child of Amelie Mauresmo and Andrew Ilie. HEHEHHEHE

·
Premium Member
21,311 Posts
omg, an Eleni thread in General Messages!!! Thankyou Aloysius!!! I luv Eleni so much, I hope she cracks the big time this year :D

She sounds and looks like the kind of girl that likes to have fun and a good laugh...to pick up the game at 11, and be in the top 100, 8 years later is quite phenomenal.

I had never read that before, so thanks again :)

janie, what makes u say that? lol, Mark is definately not gay!

Mark and Eleni could definately pass for brother and sister! I would luv to see them play a mixed doubles match...the Greek community is huge in Melbourne, so hopefully if she can get noticed (Im sure the Greek newspapers would be on the job) they can organise something between the two ;) Hopefully once she sees me, she'll change her mind about Mark :angel: j/k

and greenut, she looks nothing like them! lol

·
Team WTAworld, Superskyderen
13,888 Posts
<FONT COLOR=Green SIZE=1>*ping!*</FONT>

Very entertaining read, Aloysius - thanks! Hope Lena can do some Oz Open damage next week. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, Iva's #1 Fan. :) I thought Eleni picked up the game rather late too, but wow, what she's done in that time! She never answered the question properly, but I wonder if her grandmother and Mark's grandmother have ever really tried to set them up. Oh well, if it was meant to be, they'll bump into each other in Melbourne. The rest would be up to them. Go on Eleni, take the bull by the horns (or the Mark by the... balls? ;))!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Thanks for that......veeery interesting.;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
janie, I agree with you. Mark probably isn't into women. I think he's into girls. ;) Women are still too smart for him. :p ;)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thanks Aloysius, interesting article! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts