Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched almost all of this match yesterday and have to offer a few observations...

1) I think it was evident that these two players were not too fond of each other, I think the vibe between the two players was...tense...

2) There was one changeover where the two players were literally within 2 feet of another 'bump' incident, where neither went close to 'giving way' when crossing the net, and it looked like Serena actually had to do a mini 'hop step" to avoid bumping into Anna who was looking str8 ahead and (seemingly) oblivious to how close Serena was...

3) Anna has a very annoying (for her opponents) habit of not playing the ball when its close to the baseline...If its a close call, SO OFTEN, Anna wold just not hit the ball on VERY close calls - it was obviously intimidating/pressuring the linesman into making the call... Often Anna was right, but there were 3 or 4 very close calls, and Anna didint play the ball, and a LATE call of "out" came - this seemed to annoy Serena who shot a few filthy looks up the other end....There was also a couple of times when Anna DIDNT get the call, and she looked a bit silly for not playing the balll..Poetic justice I say.

4) Anna was very good at making Serena wait to serve. Anna was very obviously holding her up, I find this amusing to watch, cuz its so funny to see whether its affecting a player or not...

Anyway, those are a few observations from that match... Overall I was impressed with Annas fighting ability, and Serena is all class to play so badly, yet still manage the win....

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Hmmm, didn't see the match myself but when they played in Canada in 2000 there seemed to be a bit of attitude between them. I like both though. Maybe with Martina-Venus being such big personal rivals Serena and Anna want to establish a similar one.

·
Registered
17,916 Posts
LOL! Nice try anyway, Anna! :rolleyes:

SO many players used to do this to Steffi -- try to slow her down & get her out of her rhythm. But Anna can't really pull off these tactics too well, because the top players don't really view her as very threatening. But it can't hurt to try, right? :D

(It didn't work too well against Stef, either!) :eek:

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I wouldn't make a big deal of this. This is competition and these girls are not out to be best friends. I think Anna was out to prove she could play with the big girls and she acquited herself very well. Besides, Martina, Anna's doubles partner and friend, has a huge rivalry with the Williams sisters and I think the attitude on court may come from that.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaDave - Whatever.

Im not a fan of either player, I was merely offering my observations...

I also dont think I was making a big deal out of it.. I was watchign the match smiling at all the little mind games going on - its part of why I love tennis!!!

It was a very good, entertaining match, and Anna K definitely had a good opportunity to beat Serena...But Serena was too tough.

Im sure if you were a player, youd HATE to play Anna, or let me rephrase - youd LOVe to beat her... When she was pressuring the linesman into giving her the calls she wanted, the crowd would get on her side as well, and sarcastically cheer the next call that went her way... Little things like that would make victory over her that much more sweet in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thanks for the review Czechfan! Seems Anna was really fired up for this match. Good for her! Serena needs to be tested as often as possible. These tight set matches will do nothing but help her when she gets to Oz. :cool:

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Great.

Great to hear that another rivalry is brewing. Maybe they'll play
each other again in the Aussie Open.

About - the timewasters. It's actually the right thing to do against
someone like Serena or Jen. You can't let them run the match;
slow things down- take control of the outcome.

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
I'm not surprised to hear that there was a bit of an edge in this match, I think it's just because they don't like each other that much. There's a definitely rivalry between Anna/Martina and Venus/Serena for whatever reason. I think it's good for the game though.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Czechfan, there might be a little tension between Serena and Anna. But I think that's good. It is afterall a competition.

As for the near bumping incident. I think it's the bigger girls responsibility to not run over the smaller girl. In this case it was nice of Serena to avoid Anna. Otherwise, Anna might be out for another 8 months!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Why was it ALL Anna did this and Anna did that.
Leave Anna alone.

·
Registered
17,916 Posts
I think it is all very funny! :D

It reminds me of the matches Hingis and Kournikova used to have against each other when they were 16-17 years old and were expected to become huge rivals. Between the two of them, there was so much attitiude on court you could cut it with a knife! Very hilarious. :D

To me its all part of the drama that makes sports so much fun.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Czechfan said:
I watched almost all of this match yesterday and have to offer a few observations...

1) I think it was evident that these two players were not too fond of each other, I think the vibe between the two players was...tense...

Very true but that is nothing new..

2) There was one changeover where the two players were literally within 2 feet of another 'bump' incident, where neither went close to 'giving way' when crossing the net, and it looked like Serena actually had to do a mini 'hop step" to avoid bumping into Anna who was looking str8 ahead and (seemingly) oblivious to how close Serena was...

I think you may be exaggerating a little here,

3) Anna has a very annoying (for her opponents) habit of not playing the ball when its close to the baseline...If its a close call, SO OFTEN, Anna wold just not hit the ball on VERY close calls - it was obviously intimidating/pressuring the linesman into making the call... Often Anna was right, but there were 3 or 4 very close calls, and Anna didint play the ball, and a LATE call of "out" came - this seemed to annoy Serena who shot a few filthy looks up the other end....There was also a couple of times when Anna DIDNT get the call, and she looked a bit silly for not playing the balll..Poetic justice I say.

Only Once that happen, but as for intimidating the lines people, get real.. they are there to do a job.. As for late calls coming that favoured Anna.. that's crap..
Oh and if she was intimidating the lines people why did she get such a bad call at 3-5 30-40 (Break point) An Ace given to Serena when it was so far out it was not funny..

4) Anna was very good at making Serena wait to serve. Anna was very obviously holding her up, I find this amusing to watch, cuz its so funny to see whether its affecting a player or not...

Um, obviously you have 25 seconds between points and every player has every right to play within the time period.. If Serena wants to play really quick, well her opponent does not have to play at her pace..

Anyway, those are a few observations from that match... Overall I was impressed with Annas fighting ability, and Serena is all class to play so badly, yet still manage the win....

Play so badly, I am amused at this statement, obviously you have not watch Serena play too often, she always hits a lot of unforced errors.. so if she played so badly against Anna, I suppose when she won the US open in 99 against martina and had 40 odd unforced errors in that match but still managed to win in 2 sets, she played poorly aswell..

Simple fact is, if you try and smash every ball at 100mph, you are going to make mistakes, that's serena's game..

If Serena played so badly then Anna was not that much better either

[/B]

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ajayeres - Sorry bud, anna is obviously your fave, and you live in the world of "my fave can do no wrong"....

NOT that anything Anna did was wrong, or BAD, most of the players employ similar tactics to varying degrees in their matches, I just offered my observations from watching the match...

"I think you may be exaggerating a little here" - your opinion, thats fine.

"Um, obviously you have 25 seconds between points and every player has every right to play within the time period.. If Serena wants to play really quick, well her opponent does not have to play at her pace.." - I agree with you 100%!!! Im not saying Anna was BAD for holding play up, I merely said she was doing it, and you launch into a "DEFENSE" of something that DOESNT NEED DEFENDING!!!

"Only Once that happen, but as for intimidating the lines people, get real.. they are there to do a job.. As for late calls coming that favoured Anna.. that's crap..
Oh and if she was intimidating the lines people why did she get such a bad call at 3-5 30-40 (Break point) An Ace given to Serena when it was so far out it was not funny.."

- If you think linespeople are never intimidated by players then think again - it happens, the linespeople are human..
Anna let at least 6 CLOSE balls go, in an OBVIOUS attempt at getting the call. If you are the linesman, and the player doesnt even BOTHER to hit it, you are going to SENSE that the player thinks the ball was out and maybe be a bit more inclined to call it out....

Yes, Serena always makes a lot of unforced errors, but surely ajayeres, even you would admit that it was Serena's first match of the season, and she was VERY rusty...Im not saying that to take away from Anna - Anna came close to winning, but if you think that was Serena in NORMAL or AVERAGE form, you are kidding....

Finally, I just want to stress, that all my 'observations' are observations without judgement!!!

Hell, just about all the players at some point deliberately let close balls go that they want called out, all players slow other players down at some point...They arent criminal acts, and I wasnt judging Anna negatively at all.... I just dont understand fans of Anna coming to defend her, when there is no need!!! I dont think anything either player did was bad!!!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sure, Serena didn't play her best match ever, but she didnot play her worst either..

Now the only point I do strongly disagree with you on is this leaving the ball on the close line calls, I have watched the match a few times and unless you want to call the the ball missing the baseline by a good foot as close, well that's your opinion, but I don't see it that way..

As for this comment "my fave can do no wrong" Well it might apply to others, but not to me, I live in a realistic world..

Oh, if I came across as defensively, that would be a result of reading hundreds of BS posts on Anna (especially on this board)]
Perhaps I did over react to your post.. but I didn't see it the same way as you, especially the pt I mentioned above..

But hey that's life we are all not going to agree are we??

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
so anna was trying to slow down serena between points....usually anna's the one who rushes her opponents...

it's obviously to try to break serena's rhythm
....or maybe the points were long sometimes and they're both out of breath still...or maybe anna's thinking what to do next...

and as for the intimidation factor anna has, yes maybe she does influence line calls sometimes...i don't think she really intends to do that, but if i was her, i'll take it anyway
.... as for anna not hitting some balls, maybe she was tired of rallying and she just wanted to get the point over with...that's unlike anna though...so im thinking maybe she just really thought the balls were out...

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i was courtside and noticed it all too...i was thinking wtf with the way she handled those close balls , and was thinking it was part of her ploy!

but even if anna did have all these characteristics which czechfan stated and i agree to , its nothing major...lots of players do worse such as Hewitt in 'tense' situations! it just shows how much of an appetite anna has to win which has actually made me like her more , shes not just there for the show! on ya anna :)

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Don't forget Serena's part as well, she held Anna up on her serve numerous occassions..I refered to most of this in my scoring thread on this match, especially at one stage where Anna wasn't ready, held her hand up..then positioned herself. Serena then walked away, they cut to the Umpire who brought the hand to the mike, then I thought a warning was coming, but Serena quickly scuttled to serve..it was quite a bit of by play :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
All these things make a match interesting... :)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i also noticed serena wasnt taking the 'heat' as well as anna in one respect...that is the physical side , anna sems much fitter :).which will be good as u need that to last the seven matches next week! serena really wnjoyed the few shaded corners of the court...moreso than anna did

1 - 20 of 20 Posts