Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Detecting marketing potential? How many brands pay IG celebs/athletes to promote their products through social media these days? What is the total market value for those endorsements alone? TV commercials and newspaper ads are passe.
they were talking about her number of chinese followers jeez....

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Detecting marketing potential? How many brands pay IG celebs/athletes to promote their products through social media these days? What is the total market value for those endorsements alone? TV commercials and newspaper ads are passe.
It's still a skewed metric. A few years ago Twitter and Facebook were the main social media apps for athletes and yet Li was the most followed player based on her Weibo account. Instagram may tell a lot about an athlete's marketing potential in Western or Western-alligned countries, but it doesn't serve well for the ever growing Chinese market. There have been talks ever since Wimbledon about Raducanu's potential with the Chinese public - her Insta followers really do not tell much about it.

·
Rise up from ignorance
21,491 Posts
It's still a skewed metric. A few years ago Twitter and Facebook were the main social media apps for athletes and yet Li was the most followed player based on her Weibo account. Instagram may tell a lot about an athlete's marketing potential in Western or Western-alligned countries, but it doesn't serve well for the ever growing Chinese market. There have been talks ever since Wimbledon about Raducanu's potential with the Chinese public - her Insta followers really do not tell much about it.
Raducanu won't turn the needle for the Chinese market. They need someone under the Chinese flag outright.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
She's now just passed the 500,000 mark, but to be honest, I thought it might have grown further within the past 2 or 3 hours. She's had a lot of big UK sporting names congratulate her, and even Piers has seemingly offered a sincere congratulatory message, and none of his usual 'pep talk' bollocks.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
So in other words, the more shallow the player's character is, the more Instagram followers they have. With the exception of Halep whose total looks too high and well off the curve.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
She's now just passed the 500,000 mark, but to be honest, I thought it might have grown further within the past 2 or 3 hours. She's had a lot of big UK sporting names congratulate her, and even Piers has seemingly offered a sincere congratulatory message, and none of his usual 'pep talk' bollocks.

Is this guy important in Britain? Is he planning to run for office like Trump? He seems to have quite a big media presence.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Is this guy important in Britain? Is he planning to run for office like Trump? He seems to have quite a big media presence.
I wouldn't say important, but he is very well known with the whole News of the World scandal, then appearing on things like the 'Got Talent' series, and then popular breakfast shows.

Mind, I've just checked his Twitter profile since, and he's back to being a [email protected] :LOL:

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
Lol @BARBIE not respected and given the biggest courts? I wonder why...

·
Registered
Iga Swiatek
496 Posts
I feel bad for Barty. only 370k? she is one of the best sportswoman in Australia, it seems to me that Australians offer little respect to a great champion like Ash.
Kenin 212k? wow o_O
The difference in followers between Simona and Naomi is not so great considering that Naomi is promoted very aggressively around the world while Simona is so reserved.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
UPDATE AS OF 06/01/2022:

1 Ashleigh Barty - 372k (+2k)
2 Aryna Sabalenka - 305k (+30k)
3 Garbiñe Muguruza - 891k (+28k)
4 Karolína Plíšková - 441k (+7k)
5 Barbora Krejčíková - 68k (+4k)
6 Maria Sakkari - 343k (+27k)
7 Anett Kontaveit - 122k (N/A)
8 Paula Badosa Gibert - 433k (N/A)
9 Iga Świątek - 461k (+8k)
10 Ons Jabeur - 362k (+27k)
11 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - 140k (+3k) -
12 Sofia Kenin - 209k (-3k)
13 Naomi Osaka - 2.8M (=)
14 Elena Rybakina - 69k (-1k)
15 Elina Svitolina - 830k (+15k)
16 Angelique Kerber - 674k (-1k)
17 Petra Kvitová - 627k (+3k)
18 Jessica Pegula - 27k (N/A)
19 Emma Raducanu - 2.1M (+1.6M)
20 Simona Halep - 1.6M (=)

Notable Others:
Serena Williams - 14M
Venus Williams - 1.5M
Andreescu - 700k
Gauff - 730k
Bencic - 391k
Ostapenko - 176k
Bouchard - 2.1M

·
Registered
32,401 Posts
Is there a get 1M IG followers get one Slam free exchange somewhere, otherwise...eh.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
This is a bit old (March 2021) but it does show quite interestingly the fact that some players are a lot stronger on different platforms - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram - than others. Sania Mirza and Maria Sharapova were ruling Facebook at this point, Serena the queen of Twitter and Instagram.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts