Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
35,771 Posts
There is a GoFund me now . They already raised $20000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. The guy who started the GoFundMe is a famous football player in Algeria and donated $25,000 personally.

In all seriousness though, even if the Algerian government has offered to fund her training, where would she even go? There are only three men with very low professional rankings, she's the only woman and has said there are no coaches at an international level. Her only chance seems to be getting enough money to train overseas for 2-3 years and hope that she's self-sustaining by then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow. The guy who started the GoFundMe is a famous football player in Algeria and donated $25,000 personally.

In all seriousness though, even if the Algerian government has offered to fund her training, where would she even go? There are only three men with very low professional rankings, she's the only woman and has said there are no coaches at an international level. Her only chance seems to be getting enough money to train overseas for 2-3 years and hope that she's self-sustaining by then.
she is training in tunisia with selima sfar

·
Registered
36,151 Posts
extremely disappointing from thiem. it just boggles my mind how you can take a stance like this over such an amount when you're a millionaire. i guess solidarity and supporting your line of work seems too much to ask for.

i also thought saying "They're not going to starve" was utterly dumb. so only people who are on the brink of starving are woth helping? SMH

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've got no objection to Thiem spending his money however he likes, but he's STILL saying that "none of the tennis players were going to starve." :eek:o_O:sick: If he's going to continue in this vein, he needs to restrict his comments to German so that there is absolutely no chance of him saying things that he doesn't realise sound different from what he intended, or that will lead to him being misquoted.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
I've got no objection to Thiem spending his money however he likes, but he's STILL saying that "none of the tennis players were going to starve." :eek:o_O:sick: If he's going to continue in this vein, he needs to restrict his comments to German so that there is absolutely no chance of him saying things that he doesn't realise sound different from what he intended, or that will lead to him being misquoted.
He didn’t say it again, Myles quoted from both interviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Athletes, singers, actors, social media artists obviously make an obscene amount of money, but it´s the world that put that price tag on them, and I always find it hilarious that they are at the forefront of the "you need to give back" cries, because of their public life. On the other hand you have trillionaires hiding in the shadows. Why does nobody cry for people with $5000 million in their bank accounts that got rich off the back of these underpaid and now unemployed workers, unlike Thiem who is purely self-made and maybe worth $50M.
They have not only been criticised by also been accounted for things far worse than Thiem if you have ever read a leftist magazine. May be we are criticising Thiem and not Jeff Bezos here because it is a tennis thread?

·
Registered
31,678 Posts
They have not only been criticised by also been accounted for things far worse than Thiem if you have ever read a leftist magazine. May be we are criticising Thiem and not Jeff Bezos here because it is a tennis thread?
Well then you should apply your rigid rules to the context of Thiem´s words, too.

Any top 1000 tennis professional fighting for survival yet?
Any one of them starved to death yet?
Any one of them part of the 800M people suffering from undernutrition and living under the poverty line?

Well then what are you complaining about.

Thiem´s statement is 100% correct.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well then you should apply your rigid rules to the context of Thiem´s words, too.

Any one of them part of the 800M people suffering from undernutrition and living under the poverty line?

It was his characterisation of these people s undeserving. Players such as Innes Ibbou can speak about their difficulties without having it to be adjugated by Thiem. Nobody asked for his money or said he must help the players. It was his condescending tone.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Charity is a choice. He said what he felt. Everyone have their own problems/ It is not others job to take care of you/ If you can't afford playing tennis, find other job

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thiem was right. It's embarrassing to see players poncing of off other players who's hard work and talent got them to the top, I'd be ashamed to to go public with the begging bowl, it highlights why lowly ranked players are lowly ranked players, they don't have the mentality to succeed, Thiem fought for everything he had, he didn't have top players funding his career. Top players are not charities, what sense of satisfaction can you get taking other players money to get further up the rankings, like winning the lottery, you didn't work for it it landed on your lap.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
It was his characterisation of these people s undeserving. Players such as Innes Ibbou can speak about their difficulties without having it to be adjugated by Thiem. Nobody asked for his money or said he must help the players. It was his condescending tone.

Honestly....

Keep stretching, you can touch your toes soon. No?

How the hell can you judge tone from a single sentence misquote?!?!
The issue is with you the audience not with what Thiem said

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

For all anyone knows, a couple of those top 1000 might have already been killed by the coronavirus. Several of them come from countries where starvation and malnutrition are not just words that you read in a newspaper, so maybe they are affected. We just don't know.

And Thiem doesn't know that, either.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This is something which should give a few people pause to think:

I ask myself, how many tournaments could I not afford? How many tournaments I’ve missed because of flight delays, missed connections, no budget to modify ticket, no refund from the hotel I previously booked, and on top of that a 400 dollars fine from ITF for late withdrawal. Great, a whole budget from generous and compassionate people gone.

Seriously, how can the ITF justify fining a player in a situation like that?

How many points lost? I could literally write a book about my crazy adventures on the tour, and many other issues in the tennis world.

Maybe she should. At least in the short term, it would probably earn her a lot more money than her tennis.

·
Registered
84,931 Posts
This is something which should give a few people pause to think:

I ask myself, how many tournaments could I not afford? How many tournaments I’ve missed because of flight delays, missed connections, no budget to modify ticket, no refund from the hotel I previously booked, and on top of that a 400 dollars fine from ITF for late withdrawal. Great, a whole budget from generous and compassionate people gone.

Seriously, how can the ITF justify fining a player in a situation like that?

How many points lost? I could literally write a book about my crazy adventures on the tour, and many other issues in the tennis world.

Maybe she should. At least in the short term, it would probably earn her a lot more money than her tennis.
🤦‍♀️ What a cry baby she is ..better look for another job when you are so unhappy with the conditions...

·
Premium Member
62,381 Posts
Thanks for this, Ines.
I really appreciated it.
Hope you can maximise your potential in the future!!

201 - 220 of 238 Posts