Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Dominic,
Your last words were hurtful to say the least, the reason why i decided to write you this open letter. Hopefully you’ll change your mind about me and many of us sharing the same situation after watching this video. Don’t get me wrong, i don’t blame you for what you are or this current situation because after all, it’s mainly up to national and international federations to look after tennis family and sort out difficulties, for the sake of this sport. But this answer is a way to bring light to our situation and maybe also protecting our integrity... Our voice deserve to be heard also...
Thanks for those who helped me put my anger into words, and words into images
🙏🏻

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Shame on you Dominic!,

Seriously, I like Dominic but I think he should have stayed away from this if he didn´t want to take part of it, it´s true there are unprofessional players but the idea was to help the ones who don´t have enough resources to thrive not just to make charity.

On the other side, it´s true also that financial help should go first to the ones who need it regardless if they play tennis or not, specially in this situation when the world seems to be crumbling apart, even in Ibbou´s country Algeria and in Africa there must be people who could need help much more than any tennis player to survive, to eat rather than to be a succesful player, and it´s not just Dominic who thinks like that, maybe he´s already helping financially to poor people in other countries and that´s why he reacted, who knows

·
Registered
14,728 Posts

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Dominic’s very “Republican” approach to this situation is absolutely shameful. He really doesn’t understand his status of privilege and the very idea that the entire sport of tennis has allowed him the success he has amassed. Just because he “knows” that there are “unprofessional” players who “don’t deserve” his “money” doesn’t mean he gets to say words like this out loud as if they don’t carry any weight for the people who are actually struggling to survive during this pandemic. It’s disgusting. He doesn’t want to help, fine. He’s a piece of shit.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
He refused to contribute to the player fund , calling some of lower ranked unprofessional

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This from Thiem's interview:

“No tennis player is fighting to survive, even those who are much lower-ranked.

What's his definition of "much lower-ranked?" From the tone of this piece you would think he means players ranked around 100 - certainly not Sofia Shapatava (375), and as sure as hell not Ines Ibbou (620).

None of them are going to starve,” Thiem told Austrian newspaper Krone. “I don’t really see why I should give such players money,” he added. “I would rather give money to people or organisations that really need it.”

How the hell could he possibly know that? Ibbou has earnt $3,135 this year (Shapatava $3,304). She might not starve but, even in Algeria, that money won't stretch to a year's worth of food and shelter. Most (if not all) of it has probably already been spent anyway, on travel, entry fees and living expenses.

Just to show how good Ibbou MIGHT have been with the right support, she came from a set down to beat current World No. 101 Varvara Gracheva in the final of a tournament in Hammamet, Tunisia, two and a half years ago.

·
Registered
84,931 Posts

·
Registered
84,931 Posts
Dear Dominic,
Your last words were hurtful to say the least, the reason why i decided to write you this open letter. Hopefully you’ll change your mind about me and many of us sharing the same situation after watching this video. Don’t get me wrong, i don’t blame you for what you are or this current situation because after all, it’s mainly up to national and international federations to look after tennis family and sort out difficulties, for the sake of this sport. But this answer is a way to bring light to our situation and maybe also protecting our integrity... Our voice deserve to be heard also...
Thanks for those who helped me put my anger into words, and words into images
🙏🏻

Tragic. But what the hell Thiem has to do with her problems?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nobody looked after Dustin Brown having to drive a van around to tournaments. Nobody looked after Victor Estrella for 15 years as a failed pro until hefinally made his first us open major main draw at age 33. these players should not be wasting time complaining, they should be out in the gym or on court working harder.

·
Registered
84,931 Posts
Nobody looked after Dustin Brown having to drive a van around to tournaments. Nobody looked after Victor Estrella for 15 years as a failed pro until hefinally made his first us open major main draw at age 33. these players should not be wasting time complaining, they should be out in the gym or on court working harder.
So much this.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well the point is that there are no tournaments. Many players at ITF level won't have savings, if they come from a poor country they won't get any help from their federation, so they're screwed. I don't see how anyone could begrudge these players getting a few thousand dollars to keep them afloat in this difficult time or to help them pay for travel when the tour resumes. The tennis pyramid structure is vital for tennis to thrive whether those at the top care about it or not.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
The blame lies at the hands of the governing bodies (USTA, AELTC, TA, FFT, ATP, WTA and ITF)

Under their leadership, the gap between the top elite and bottom feeder pros has increased (after first decreasing until around the turn of the century — since then things have become regressive and tennis is looking more and more aristocratic activity by the 1%

Time to unionize pro tennis. That's the only real way to reverse the course and bring tennis back to its progressive traject that had started in the 1970s when it became open to the masses.

·
Registered
35,771 Posts
Gyms aren't open now. Courts aren't open for much of the world now.

Under normal circumstances, this logic would work. Most ITF players work extremely hard just to break even. They don't have 6-9 months worth of emergency savings and don't have an opportunity to earn money now, so at this point the fund is literally helping them survive and pay rent. Dominic is within his right to not give money to it, but the number of hard-working players at that level greatly outnumber the few very rich "unprofessional" players he describes.

·
Registered
40,308 Posts
I think Dominic does a lot for wildlife conservation instead, sadly I agree I’d rather his money went to help the wildlife and environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The problem is not Dominic Thiem but the tour because the players are the tour's employees that do the work so the tour should be supporting the players. If the tour cannot afford to give the top 500 or 1000 players a base payrate then that raises serious questions because this is not a poor sport.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
It would be a pity if scrubs with rich millionaire dads (or mums) end up getting handouts from this fund too

Ideally it should only be distributed among the pros who are middle class and below.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts