Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
35,524 Posts
Kudermetova gifted this match and Iga said "TYSM", easy pickens, but she does look awfully comfortable on these courts, has to be one of the favourites to go all the way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To soon to say this. It was only Martic and Kudermetova. Even Raducanu would have beaten them easily. There is still many players (Krejcikova, Jabeur, Azarenka) who can be a challenge for her.
Ok. Shut up please.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
IW is basically a clay tournament on a hard court, so Iga should go far and win this, or against a good counter puncher / defensive player.

Petchy today said they reduced the tennis ball pressure a little to help against the sandpaper court. still, heavy topspin is a big benefit on clay and sand paper.

·
Registered
90,106 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: *Jool* and guitarra

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Ok. Shut up please.
I didn't insult Iga. She was very solid and confident, but Martic and Kudermetova are not really the best opponents to gauge her level. Her path has still some strong players. We will say how she will handle Ostapenko who is still a tricky player. But yes, Indian Wells is a perfect place for her tennis.

·
Banned
8,416 Posts
What is Bill doing there ?
Did he know Iga ?
Or is he here because he thought the new Queen would play today :LOL:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Slow courts are not helping anyone, slow courts EXPOSE weak players.
Slow courts demand perfect technique, stamina and consistency.
And Iga is the best on these courts.
Any idiot can get a Hammer racquet and play on fast surface, but they never win on slow surface.
Not at all, Nadal owned clay, Federer and Joker owned faster courts. Are you saying Federer and Joker are weaker than Nadal ?

its different, clay courts respond more to spin, and give more time to hit the shot as balls jump up, so heavy kick serves and heavy spin work well, and you have more time for a big take back in your technique. Good for Iga.

On a fast hard court, need shorter take back, and taking ball early and hitting flat is deadly. See USO, any match really. Not so good for Iga.

Its not easy for players to develop a good early take flat game and a heavy top spin kick serve game. Its one or the other most of the time and gives benefits depending on surface. To believe one is more skillful is just your bias.

Iga could win this, and Miami, and RG and other clay. I would not be voting for her to win USO or AO or wimbledon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not at all, Nadal owned clay, Federer and Joker owned faster courts. Are you saying Federer and Joker are weaker than Nadal ?

its different, clay courts respond more to spin, and give more time to hit the shot as balls jump up, so heavy kick serves and heavy spin work well, and you have more time for a big take back in your technique. Good for Iga.

On a fast hard court, need shorter take back, and taking ball early and hitting flat is deadly. See USO, any match really. Not so good for Iga.

Its not easy for players to develop a good early take flat game and a heavy top spin kick serve game. Its one or the other most of the time and gives benefits depending on surface. To believe one is more skillful is just your bias.

Iga could win this, and Miami, and RG and other clay. I would not be voting for her to win USO or AO or wimbledon.
Nadal won GS on every surface.
But my point is that saying someone being good on slow surface is a sign of weakness is totally wrong.
Slower surfaces, such as clay, require a lot more skills, what you talking about modifying swing means that anyone can grab really stiff racquet and just block the ball, and this does not require any skills.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Ok Bill, please send one lil bil the WTA's way. How surprising. I hope Iga will be his favourite, hence the next WTA saviour from the jaws of Title 11.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But my point is that saying someone being good on slow surface is a sign of weakness is totally wrong.
If someone actually said, you should be able to provide a quote from this thread. "For sure the courts help her too" doesn't count as most players have preferred surfaces and it's no indication of weakness.
Slower surfaces, such as clay, require a lot more skills, what you talking about modifying swing means that anyone can grab really stiff racquet and just block the ball, and this does not require any skills.
I flat out disagree. Tennis is a game of consistency with 65% of points won off errors at the elite level. The game is weighted against risky strategies. Think of the infuriating success rates of all the pushers at your club.

Driving on 4 wheels is a core skill set. Balancing your car on 2 wheels requires more skill but can go badly wrong and only gives you an advantage in a narrow set of situations. For most drivers it's better to focus on becoming really good at driving on 4 wheels.

Similarly I would argue ultra-aggressive baseliners (Sabalenka, Yastremska) and serve-and-volleyers (the only one I can think of is Mischa Zverev) are more like stunt drivers, attempting a higher skill level which is very hard to maintain and often falls apart on off days. It's amazing they can even compete at the top level. Again, think of the players at your club who try to hit a highlight shot with every swing - they usually lose.

More defensive play styles rely on a more basic skill set (albeit honed to an incredibly high degree) that works on most surfaces, but particularly slow ones like clay. I'm not judging which play style is "more attractive", "more successful" or "better" - just which requires more skill.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Her exact post on Facebook was:

🧠
When I am able to enjoy my performance, like today, I am happy and grateful.
This is unusual post-match post, but it is not an usual day. I found that it would be good to share some thoughts about mental health on the occasion of #WorldMentalHealthDay. It's important to raise awareness in terms of looking for help and support if we need it. It's a sign of strength and wisdom, not weakness. As Michael Phelps wrote today: It’s OK not to be OK.

My day was more than OK. I would like to dedicate today's win to all the people who aren't OK. And contribute to help them even if only a bit for now. I will donate 50k $ of my prize money for the 3rd round in Indian Wells to non-profit providing mental health support. You can help me choose a charity in comments. After the tournament I will read your your ideas with my team and choose an initiative that I'll support. For sure, I'll let you know about it, as it will be our joint choice.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts