Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun match! Lots of good rallies. Happy that the elders dragged the children and silenced both the crowd and their obnoxious camp (who got a soft warning). 😂 To be fair it was an amazing crowd, especially for doubles (I swear there were about as many people there as a singles slam SF). IW always delivers in that respect.

Hsieh wore this hat in the interview, apparently the physio (or physio's child?) requested it as it's her birthday :)

Tennis Sports uniform Muscle Polo shirt Tennis player

The match was won on Hsieh's netplay. She was fantastic today and only misplayed a single lob in the whole match. Made up for her DF on deciding point in the second set. Beautiful angles, too. Mertens probably made the least mistakes of anyone on court (although did dump a few easy returns). Her backhand was the most solid shot in this match, really hard to break that side down when she plays like this. Also played her DTL shot at just the right times.

Gauff competed well, but her serve was a bit of a letdown today. She also DF'd on a break point, and was just overhitting a bit in general even though she was great at the net. Leylah doesn't have strong doubles instincts (yet), she is often left a bit confused by the lobs and fakeouts. But solid defence and they chose her almost every time on the deciding points to return, and she didn't miss.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It was a fun match. Glad to see CoCoLey smiling after some tough singles losses. I still hope this partnership continues whenever it's a possibility in the future.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As someone with a master's degree in journalism, like to see accuracy is comments. First off, I was at the match tonight and it was a big crowd but didn't fill court 3. Probably about 3/4 full at best so don't imagine it was larger than a slam SF. I can't find a capacity for the court but would guess 3,000 or so.
Also, on another thread about whether Gauff should team with Fernandez, there was a comment that Fernandez is a great doubles player. Far from it. She was the weakest player on the court tonite. She is not active at the net. She hasn't played that much doubles and may become good since her singles play has shown she is talented. And yet, at the end, Coco didn't play well with some overhits going long and double fault or two. Hsieh was outstanding at the net and Mertens was good from the baseline.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Leylah’s serve was a weak point. Missed too many 1st serves I think and she just looked a little tired with some of her errors . Coco was good especially around the net and with overheads and her forehand was ok but there’s no excuse for hitting several double faults when Hseih Wei is returning.
Hsei Wei was very good around the net and hit some down the line winners as Coco moved across and Mertens was solid on serve and gave little away in general and they both caught out Coco and Leylah with a few lobs and down the line shots. They just understand each other better but it was a competitive match.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
So will we see them back together next season or was this the first and last time

I like this team , but I think also its better for both to focus only at singles and I hope Coco will stop with all those doubles playing everywhere

I also dont think that Leylah has double ambitions ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So will we see them back together next season or was this the first and last time

I like this team , but I think also its better for both to focus only at singles and I hope Coco will stop with all those doubles playing everywhere

I also dont think that Leylah has double ambitions ?
I do get the impression that Leylah treats doubles as an extra practice session and not really anything more, but they're so fun I hope they pair up again here and there in the future.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
I do get the impression that Leylah treats doubles as an extra practice session and not really anything more, but they're so fun I hope they pair up again here and there in the future.
i think Coco played also the doubles because this helps her in singles, more as a practice yes
but she can not play everything next year

I hope that when they play a couple of doubles next year they will team up again , they are fun to watch and the crowd loved them too

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Does Leylah play doubles regularly outside Grandslams & 2 week WTA1000 tournaments like IW, Miami?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Fun match! Lots of good rallies. Happy that the elders dragged the children and silenced both the crowd and their obnoxious camp (who got a soft warning). 😂 To be fair it was an amazing crowd, especially for doubles (I swear there were about as many people there as a singles slam SF). IW always delivers in that respect.

Hsieh wore this hat in the interview, apparently the physio (or physio's child?) requested it as it's her birthday :)

View attachment 199820

The match was won on Hsieh's netplay. She was fantastic today and only misplayed a single lob in the whole match. Made up for her DF on deciding point in the second set. Beautiful angles, too. Mertens probably made the least mistakes of anyone on court (although did dump a few easy returns). Her backhand was the most solid shot in this match, really hard to break that side down when she plays like this. Also played her DTL shot at just the right times.

Gauff competed well, but her serve was a bit of a letdown today. She also DF'd on a break point, and was just overhitting a bit in general even though she was great at the net. Leylah doesn't have strong doubles instincts (yet), she is often left a bit confused by the lobs and fakeouts. But solid defence and they chose her almost every time on the deciding points to return, and she didn't miss.
Interesting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts