Tennis Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
So happy that Vika is finding form again after last summer. It would be amazing to see her lift the trophy for the third time and end her season on the highest of notes.

·
Registered
Azarenka Kenin Ostapenko Badosa
899 Posts
Here is hoping Azarenka will work on her fitness in the off season and will be a serious contender for next AO.

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
The tennis gods answered my bedtime prayers last night - a delicious result to wake up to. Tennis wins.

Watching the highlights, there were flashes of peak Vika. Whatever happens in the SF, this has a been a great tournament for her, her best of the year. Where has this Vika been all year?

I’m a happy WTA fan today. Not sure if I will wake up feeling like that tomorrow though (I’m relying on you Kerber!)

·
Registered
90,106 Posts
Reactions: iGOAT

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
When I read they were friends and practice together I knew who was winning. Azarenka is taking advantage of a weak draw.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Surprised that Vika found her form here, at the end of the season. It's great to have her back in contention for a big title, alongside with Kerber.

·
Registered
12,901 Posts
Yay Vika (y) 😀 :)
Possible dream final still alive 😀

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
The tennis gods answered my bedtime prayers last night - a delicious result to wake up to. Tennis wins.

Watching the highlights, there were flashes of peak Vika. Whatever happens in the SF, this has a been a great tournament for her, her best of the year. Where has this Vika been all year?

I’m a happy WTA fan today. Not sure if I will wake up feeling like that tomorrow though (I’m relying on you Kerber!)
When you look at who she lost to this year, the only really surprising losses are PEGULA at AO (after a hard quarantine for Vika, and she was bossing that match until she had a panic attack, plus after this year PEGULA is not a bad loss at all), SAMSONOVA in Berlin and CÎRSTEA at Wimbledon (a period when Vika was relatively low on confidence and match play, and both played out of their minds in those matches). She was underwhelming during the summer hard court season but only lost to very good players. Her problems imo are that she gets discouraged very easily and is very stubborn with her scheduling, but her tennis has not been that bad this year. She also had a pretty easy draw at Indian Wells, so is clearly playing (and fighting) better, but not suddenly back to her best.

And I love Angie, but PBG in the semis (or more) would be great for the WTA 😇

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
When you look at who she lost to this year, the only really surprising losses are PEGULA at AO (after a hard quarantine for Vika, and she was bossing that match until she had a panic attack, plus after this year PEGULA is not a bad loss at all), SAMSONOVA in Berlin and CÎRSTEA at Wimbledon (a period when Vika was relatively low on confidence and match play, and both played out of their minds in those matches). She was underwhelming during the summer hard court season but only lost to very good players. Her problems imo are that she gets discouraged very easily and is very stubborn with her scheduling, but her tennis has not been that bad this year. She also had a pretty easy draw at Indian Wells, so is clearly playing (and fighting) better, but not suddenly back to her best.

And I love Angie, but PBG in the semis (or more) would be great for the WTA 😇
I don’t agree with your last sentence ;) but otherwise good post.

The main let down for me in 2021 for Vika was her disappointing USO series.

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
I don’t agree with your last sentence ;) but otherwise good post.

The main let down for me in 2021 for Vika was her disappointing USO series.
Yeah it's bizarre because other than that 2020 run, she's actually had some of her worst results since the baby on the summer hardcourts and the Australian series. I'm guessing she puts too much pressure on herself, but hard to say.

Reactions: jimbo mack
21 - 36 of 36 Posts