Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just too solid from Vika! And far too many errors off the racquet of Pegula!

It's really nice to see that Vika is just slightly increasing her level in each match!

Into the Semifinals against the winner of Ostapenko/Rogers, which are both very winnable games!

Come on Vika and get that 3rd IW title. It is looking very attainable, as long as she just focusses on the match in front of her!

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
Yessssss :love: :love: :love:

I said earlier this week that her tennis has been decent this year, but confidence and injuries have gotten in the way. Great to see her finally putting things together and showing she still has it.

Two more please ?!

And an excellent year for PEGULA, both on the tennis court and off — congrats on her upcoming wedding.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Where was this first serve all these years Vika? Seriously, her First serve has been so impressive this tournament...probably the best it has looked through out her career. She won 81% of her FS points today which is just seriously impressive on these courts against a good returner like JPeg. I wish someone asks her in PC about her current serve and whether she has made any specific changes.

Vika started slowly but got better as match went on...was very solid from ground. JPeg just didn't get many cheap points on serve and she had to struggle to hold in most of her service games.

Reactions: iGOAT

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Yeah, pretty routine after the first 2 games.

Pegula presumably out of YEC contention now, especially with the wedding next week as iGOAT says, and yes, what a fabulous year she has had. She was up to 11th in the race, 4 big QFs (W1000+), including a slam, as well as a SF. Hopefully she can keep that up heading into to next year, and at least maintain her form.

Well done to Vika for a very good tournament, another SF, and keeps her (probably slim) Mexico chances alive.

Yessssss :love: :love: :love:

I said earlier this week that her tennis has been decent this year, but confidence and injuries have gotten in the way. Great to see her finally putting things together and showing she still has it.

Two more please ?!
One more. Let's not get greedy now! 👿 :D

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Yeah, pretty routine after the first 2 games.

Pegula presumably out of YEC contention now, especially with the wedding next week as iGOAT says, and yes, what a fabulous year she has had. She was up to 11th in the race, 4 big QFs (W1000+), including a slam, as well as a SF. Hopefully she can keep that up heading into to next year, and at least maintain her form.

Well done to Vika for a very good tournament, another SF, and keeps her (probably slim) Mexico chances alive.
nah..Vika is out of YEC race...she said that IW is her last tournament

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Phenomenal match by Azarenka. Considering her track record this year, she did amazing by winning this match in straights. Pegula was not playing bad, but Azarenka was rock solid. Held serve with a lot of focus even after failing to break Jessica in some grueling games.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Fair enough. Do you reckon that includes BJKC as well? Man, Belarus might have gone from a potential favourite, and obvious attraction, to trying to round up Lapko in the space of 2 weeks.
I think she planned her schedule much in advance..so I expect her to play in BJKC because the squad was only confirmed like 2 weeks back...doubt her plans would change much in last 2 weeks especially since she isn't focussed on YEC

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Very impressed with Vika today, I think that is the best match I have seen from her this year. She was very focussed and got better and better as the match went on and romped home with the last four games with aces. She was very determined to finish the match in two sets and not let go of her lead or let Pegula back into the match and it worked. She played like she is gunning to win this tournament, well she is just the only one left who has won it before, so why not?

Pegula on the other hand could not find the level she had when she squashed Svitolina. She was missing a lot of the balls she made the other day. Maybe she felt a bit pressurised, with both the YEC unexpectedly looming onto the horizon and her upcoming wedding on her mind. Given that she does not intend to play any more WTAs this season, this loss has brought the curtain down on her season. Another excellent result and she will debut in the top 20 next week most likely.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Vika and slow hard courts are a match made in heaven. Go girl!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Can someone explain these girls that the hawk-eye can´t be challenged?.

Otherwise vintage Azarenka, it will be tough for anyone in the final if she gets there

·
Art & Futures
22,873 Posts

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Like others said, these courts suit her very well. And it's good to have some star power still in the tournament I suppose. Winning a third IW title (fourth incl. doubles) would be a great string to her bow, but given how inconsistent she has been this year i'm still keeping my expectations tempered for her.

Pegula got off to a great start but after that she struggled, just too many errors. Also quite a poor relationship with the net in this match. She approached off the wrong shots, had a few easy misses, got passed quite a bit... that could be an area to improve. Honestly she has looked quite tired in these past few events, and with her wedding coming up, I don't mind her taking herself out of the YEC race to reset for next year.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Solid win Vika. Next up will be a tough one. Hope she gets this title this year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts