• Miami

Votes: 104 72.7%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which you you prefer and WHY?

Personally I prefer Indian Wells. I just think the back to back nature of these events leaves players very tired for Miami and the best players often struggle to produce their best tennis. And the IW Tennis Garden is just magnificent. :worship:

·
Registered
22,165 Posts
Historically Miami has always been a bigger tournament, and judging by the matches this year and last year (even though Miami hasn't been played this year), the players seem to play better at Miami. There's been tons and tons of low quality matches this year, while Miami offers a lot of exciting finals (ie 2008, 2007 and Venus vs. Capriati)

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Please, Miami is much better

·
Premium Member
181,942 Posts
Miami has A LOT more history and seen as more prestigious.

But the Indian Wells tennis center and the background with the mountains is just beautiful.

I prefer Miami as a tournament still.
a LOT ?? 2 or 3 years isnt alot.

·
Registered
84,762 Posts
Even some of the top players tanked their matches in IW to get enough rest for Miami, so this is more than enough to say Miami is better.:worship:

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Miami for me. It's always been seen as more prestigous, and even though both are now on par with each other in terms of points and prize money, Miami will still be thought of as the more valued tournement of the two. Both have a beautiful backdrop, but again I think Miami has the edge. From a viewer in the UK's point of view, it's better to watch because of the time difference. And it has both Williams sisters. Like them or not, there is no denying that an event is not the same without them. Plus some of my all time favourites have won the title - Kuzzy & Clijsters :D

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Indian Wells because Ana results since 2002 WTA Miami was private tournament owned by Serena Williams (lose just one match in last 7 years) :shrug:

Since this season Money Prize was equal, mandatory status and ranking points are same, so since this year no more reasons to favor Miami at all :wavey:.

·
Stanning for Andi
20,980 Posts
Miami - Indian Wells is always the ugly sister out of the two.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,469 Posts
I would go with Miami, but not by some huge margin. I don't subscribe to the "Miami is great, Indian Wells is crap" line of thinking however.

I'd also say that in terms of fitness these two tournaments are amongst the least demanding in women's tennis. Yes, they can both get quite hot but the same can be said about a great many outdoor events. The thing Miami and Indian Wells have going in their favour is that as two week tournaments players normally have a day off between matches. Playing 4 to 6 matches, which would mean for a seeded playing getting to the quarters or better, over a two week period isn't that demanding at all. Certainly not compared to the clay season when the girls have to play the Italian Open and Madrid back to back. Those events are 64 player draws, although as I understand it the Semi Finalists at the Italian will get a bye into the 2nd round of Madrid. Even so, that still means players face the possibility of 11 matches over two weeks on clay, a surface that tends to produce much longer more physically demanding matches. Now that is physically demanding.

Frankly there is no reason a player shouldn't physically be able to do well at both Indian Wells and Miami. It is the back to back one week events, especially those with six rounds that can be tough on a player fitnesswise.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
Haven't been to IW but I can vouch for Miami's fun atmosphere. It's such a cosmopolitan city. You meet fans there from every corner of the globe.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
I would go with Miami, but not by some huge margin. I don't subscribe to the "Miami is great, Indian Wells is crap" line of thinking however.

I'd also say that in terms of fitness these two tournaments are amongst the least demanding in women's tennis. Yes, they can both get quite hot but the same can be said about a great many outdoor events. The thing Miami and Indian Wells have going in their favour is that as two week tournaments players normally have a day off between matches. Playing 4 to 6 matches, which would mean for a seeded playing getting to the quarters or better, over a two week period isn't that demanding at all. Certainly not compared to the clay season when the girls have to play the Italian Open and Madrid back to back. Those events are 64 player draws, although as I understand it the Semi Finalists at the Italian will get a bye into the 2nd round of Madrid. Even so, that still means players face the possibility of 11 matches over two weeks on clay, a surface that tends to produce much longer more physically demanding matches.

Frankly there is no reason a player shouldn't physically be able to do well at both Indian Wells and Miami. It is the back to back one week events, especially those with six rounds that can be tough on a player fitnesswise.

Actually, Miami is not hot at this time of year. THe normal weather pattern is upper 70's to low 80's with winds from the NE off the Atlantic, making for quite beautiful weather actually. The biggest problem is the wind, which can be quite gusty.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts