Tennis Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I love how start of the year Iga stans were telling us how she’s an all court player and on path to become #1.
No, she’s just a clay court player.

Not surprising reading that she took fake MTO. She is not the sweet girl people portray.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
She double bagelled Pliskova on CLAY. On HC, she is always hopeless against them. Yes, Ostapenko played well for her standards, but come on, she is not Prime Serena or Prime Sharapova. Swiatek made her way better that she is really.

Iga doesn't have other options when her game doesn't work against the opposition. Her serve is not strong enough to bail her out, and she doesn't have the defensive abilities like Halep or Prime Nadal/Djokovic, or the variety like Barty, Henin or Federer to disrupt the opponent's game.

The way she lost to Sakkari at the FO show that even on clay, she is vulnerable to big hitters. Her FO 2020 was terrific, but let's face it : she didn't meet any of them. Halep and Kenin were good victories but if she met Muguruza, Jabeur or even Ostapenko instead of ? I still think that if Kvitova beat Kenin in the SF, she would have been a tough challenge for her - as Kvitova is always good at GS finals
Iga has variety but sometimes doesn't use it and this match was a good example. I have seen her hitting a lot of good slices, here almost none of it, the same goes for dropshots or even moonballs. She was too occupied with trying to prove she hits as big as Jelena.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Iga has variety but sometimes doesn't use it and this match was a good example. I have seen her hitting a lot of good slices, here almost none of it, the same goes for dropshots or even moonballs. She was too occupied with trying to prove she hits as big as Jelena.
I don't understand. Iga doesn't know that engaging the power battle against Ostapenko is pure suicide ? It's like Sharapova trying to outgun Serena.

Ostapenko lost plenty matches to players who aren't talented or good as Iga. I don't think Iga really studied Ostapenko. Yes, she is always able to paint the lines but her game has been figured by everyone right now . Even Jacqueline Cristian beat her on indoor HC this year

·
Premium Member
27,921 Posts
one of the 3 or 4 times a year Ost goats… and we all know her best is better than Iga best

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I'am not sure finally. Kvitova wouldn't have let Iga dictate the game. Different game to deal. Kvitova hit a heavier ball than Halep or Kenin and has a much better serve (although prone to DF of course)

Sakkari beat Swiatek easily at the FO and Krejcikova nearly beat her too at Rome. Why Kvitova who is still a multiple GS champion and who won many others titles wouldn't be able to challenge her ?
Kvitova is not exactly a good mover, one should start from that.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Medical timeout from Iga Swiatek again in the 2nd set. Hmmmm.

The battle of one time Roland Garros Champion wonders and Jelena Ostapenko came on top.
To early to say if they are one slam wonders

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Let's all say a prayer for Iga's psychologist tonight. This was after her win against Kudermetova:

“I was just feeling pretty confident,” she said. “But basically, I wanted to make a gift for my psychologist because usually when I lose there is some drama, so let’s just say she has the day off today.”

·
Registered
Azarenka Kenin Ostapenko Badosa
855 Posts
Battle of the one slam wonders.

The difference is Ostapenko won hers legit while Swiatek vultured her asterisked slam in a covid-affected messy tour.
The same as Nadal vultured at the men's side? Come on, that's just bullshit.
She beat Halep and Kenin for the title, that's enough. Not her fault that other claycourters didn't reach her in the title run, so Ostapenko, Collins, Krejcikova and Svitolina + Kvitova (not a claycourter, but she went far) all lost on route to the quarters/final.

Iga has a big issue with big hitters, doesn't she? She should thank her lucky stars that Kenin took out Petra in Paris
Kvitova in a big real clay final? That's an unknown entity.
She won Madrid thrice, but we all know that Madrid plays very differently from RG/Rome/Stuttgart clay... she never even reached a semi in Rome.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Swiatek's going to be a trainwreck on clay next season if she comes into it hoping it'll all turn around like magic and then learns the hard way the problems are more fundamental. The surface differences don't help but someone with a game as big as she has shouldn't be routined in straights over and over again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kvitova is not exactly a good mover, one should start from that.
And the draw she had to reach the SF
QF 66 Siegemund 6-3 6-3
4th 39 Zhang 6-2 6-4
3rd 100 Fernandez 7-5 6-3 (maybe future RG champ)
2nd 94 Paolini 6-3 6-3
1st 118 Dodin 6-3 7-5

At least she got it done in straights with that draw.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
she made the same errors against Konjuh... so no improvement

still young

81 - 100 of 135 Posts