Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Medical timeout from Iga Swiatek again in the 2nd set. Hmmmm.

The battle of one time Roland Garros Champion wonders and Jelena Ostapenko came on top.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
In the battle between the 2 best things to happen to the WTA since the Belgians, the Latvian ended up winning, albeit Świątek wasn't 100% and clearly had some issues. I'm glad she was respectful to the public and played the whole match without withdrawing. Not trying to take anything from the Oyster, she played well, and I'm sure a 50% Iga still beats a lot of players. But it feels like we were robbed of a potential classic match for the ages, as with the 2 well it could be so much better.

Hopefully it is nothing serious with Iga and she'll still qualify for the Finals and boss there. As for the oyster, who knows? She always has the capacity to win everything, hopefully she can do it this time.

·
Jelena played well but I'm sick of top players and new hopefuls this year not doing what they're supposed to be doing. Barty and Sabalenka seem to be the only exceptions. It's not good enough I want them all to get their shit together in 2022.

Also Iga really needs to learn how to win when she's not playing that good (in ways other than taking questionable MTOs and long bathroom breaks)

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Penko is such a greater hitter when she is on.
But her questioning the system 😅

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
People were too excited by Iga scores against dreadful Martic and Kudermetova. I said it. It was not revelating of Iga true level. Ostapenko was always in her confort zone . Iga never tried to change the rythm, always feeding to Ostapenko easy balls, hoping she would miss.

This match proved that Iga until she change her game won't win a GS on HC or even a WTA 1000. She can't beat a single big hitter.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
In the battle between the 2 best things to happen to the WTA since the Belgians, the Latvian ended up winning, albeit Świątek wasn't 100% and clearly had some issues. I'm glad she was respectful to the public and played the whole match without withdrawing. Not trying to take anything from the Oyster, she played well, and I'm sure a 50% Iga still beats a lot of players. But it feels like we were robbed of a potential classic match for the ages, as with the 2 well it could be so much better.

Hopefully it is nothing serious with Iga and she'll still qualify for the Finals and boss there. As for the oyster, who knows? She always has the capacity to win everything, hopefully she can do it this time.

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Somehow I saw this one coming. I should start betting (although pretty sure I'm wrong more often than not).

Iga is really embarrassing herself with these extended toilet breaks and MTOs whenever she's in trouble. And they don't even help her turn things around. Also lmao that people thought she was title favorite because she drubbed a few scrubs in the early rounds. I like her (though losing respect with all these stalling tactics), but it's clear that she's not good at winning ugly at this point.

Great to see OSTAPENKO slowly getting things together though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jelena played well but I'm sick of top players and new hopefuls this year not doing what they're supposed to be doing. Barty and Sabalenka seem to be the only exceptions. It's not good enough I want them all to get their shit together in 2022.

Also Iga really needs to learn how to win when she's not playing that good.
I'm confused why Jelena isn't considered a top player in this context...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Some superb hitting from Ostapenko. If she repeats that trick, she might go all the way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good for Jelena. She was a bit better serving and quite a bit better at taking control of the points with her forehand which was in fine form on this day.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts