Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,886 Posts
Svitolina has lost the two most important matches she had for Guadalajara last two weeks with both her fellow contenders so easily… She’s still in a fight for the first ALT place if Barty withdraws, but even that can be gone if Pegula continues the run.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Jess is getting better and better. She definitely can win the whole thing if she continue to play like this. Hopefully she will. Go go girl

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Sometimes I can't wrap my head around Svitolina still being in the top 10.

She hasn't won anything above a 250 since 2018 and her last final above a 250 was YEC 2019. Crazy. I get she's gone deep in bigger tournaments to sustain her ranking but it's still weird to me.
That’s kinda how the rankings work. Even not counting her “Covid” points, she’s still top 10 in the 2021 race rankings.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
go jess!!!! i really admire how she's effectively used her unlimited cash to become a really well-rounded tennis player and truly maxing out her potential. i remember watching her in 2013 and she was nothing like the player i see now. rooting for her to make YEC!

as for the other one.... stay basic
LOL yes speak that truth. On the one hand I admire her tenacity and hard work but on the other hand grinding it out and finally reaching new heights in your late 20s after many injuries probably wasn't an option for many talented players who hit an unlucky streak. One can't help but feel indignant for them. Nothing against Jess. It's good she made the best of what she had though and she has a great game now, even if it feels constructed (in the way of many American players with college experience)

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOL yes speak that truth. On the one hand I admire her tenacity and hard work but on the other hand grinding it out and finally reaching new heights in your late 20s after many injuries probably wasn't an option for many talented players who hit an unlucky streak. One can't help but feel indignant for them. Nothing against Jess. It's good she made the best of what she had though and she has a great game now, even if it feels constructed (in the way of many American players with college experience)
You're right, but then again, Pegula working so hard to achieve some degree of tennis success speaks volumes for her motivation and work ethic. Considering how many players who've become rich the past few years seem to have lost some of that fire, I find it remarkable that Pegula has it in the first place.

·
Registered
21,766 Posts
well we will see

Pegula is 1 point behind Svitolina who is at #10 right now. Pegula not scheduled to play anything else but Svitolina is... and we all know Svito will try her darndest to make it
Hope Pegula keeps going far then. Svitolina has hardly had any inspiring wins this season, except one over out of form Halep.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
On the other hand..not many people in her position might have found the motivation to grind out in lower levels in mid 20's when you are already so goddamn rich.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
i don't know if indignant is the right word for me, of course jess is unbelievably privileged and that's probably the main factor as to why she didn't hang it up after the injuries, but i can't help but think if i had that huge wad of cash waiting for me i'd just be an instathot doing some lines in cabo or something

sometimes i feel like i'm more indignant when i see privileged people get so much credit for doing the least but for jess and seeing her grow over the years i feel like she's really done everything she can for this sport, and i think it's a nice counterpoint from what we generally see

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Also to add to the conversations above, Jess was not above grinding it on the ITF circuit many times over. Her family could've literally bought her copious amounts of WC's into events, and she rarely ever used WC's, or anymore than a typical American would. It's not like she was a huge prodigy or thought of to have mega success on the tour. 2021 has just been insane for her!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Also to add to the conversations above, Jess was not above grinding it on the ITF circuit many times over. Her family could've literally bought her copious amounts of WC's into events, and she rarely ever used WC's, or anymore than a typical American would. It's not like she was a huge prodigy or thought of to have mega success on the tour. 2021 has just been insane for her!
She got where she is thanks to her hard work, props to Jessica.

On the other hand..not many people in her position might have found the motivation to grind out in lower levels in mid 20's when you are already so goddamn rich.
How much of that cash as in her dad's fortune though literally belongs to her? She might have shares but I don't think she's the one that gets generous pocket money for her parents at this stage.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
How much of that cash as in her dad's fortune though literally belongs to her? She might have shares but I don't think she's the one that gets generous pocket money for her parents at this stage.
they definitely paid for medical, coaching travel expenses, etc. when she was a journeywoman. she doesn't have the biggest sponsorships. also her current coach is a pretty big name too.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
She got where she is thanks to her hard work, props to Jessica.

I doubt anyone outside their family and their family lawyer would know about these details

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
if i had that huge wad of cash waiting for me i'd just be an instathot doing some lines in cabo or something
I think a lot of money when you are young can go both ways. Either you go the way you suggested, living a life of easy luxury, or you realize / are taught by your environment much earlier that money will never be an end in itself for you. The accomplishment of making more money for its own sake can lose its luster. A lot of tennis players are out there playing tennis not because they love the sport, but because it's the thing they know how to do and their best chance of making a living. It's not that surprising when their motivation drops after they've made it -- they probably also need to figure out how to handle great wealth for the first time, maybe who they are and what they like in the face of this freedom. Someone with an infinite safety net who wants to do something can actually spend all the energy doing the thing they want to do for as long as they want. And that's the true privilege.

Again, credit to Jess for being in the latter category. Just feel like the hard work needs to be caveated and contextualized, only because people at the top of the capitalist pyramid always trot out this line: work hard and you'll be rewarded, if you didn't succeed, you just didn't try hard enough. Jess might be grinding out on the ITFs when her ranking forced it, she didn't take shortcuts in that sense, but I'll be surprised if she has not always had the full logistical support in building a team around her that only a prodigy / top player would have been given the financial resources to, without even having to deal with the external expectations and pressure that comes from that.

For those who have watched Squid Game, it's like a certain someone choosing to participate in Squid Game for the love of the experience and not because they need to. And they don't have to pay the price for entry either.

Reactions: Cloudy Sky
41 - 60 of 65 Posts