Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sometimes I can't wrap my head around Svitolina still being in the top 10.

She hasn't won anything above a 250 since 2018 and her last final above a 250 was YEC 2019. Crazy. I get she's gone deep in bigger tournaments to sustain her ranking but it's still weird to me.

·
Registered
32,350 Posts

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
That was abysmal from Elina. It was clear from her 3rd round she was no near her best form, and she wasn’t able to step up at any point during the match today. Negative body language was evident too. The match point smash summed up her belief in her shots this tournament.

Pegula, sigh, what can I say. She played well. I’ll leave it at that.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Pegula queens it again over a ropey top 10 player. She keeps producing these performances, she has done it throughout the year, she has played well all year. Way better than her way more lauded compatriot Gauff IMO.

Svitolina's YEC chances are given a heavy blow. She was injured, but would she have won anyway? All the players left besides Jabeur and Babs are below her in the standings and there are about half a dozen who could pass her in the standings if they win the YEC, eg Leylah.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm confused. Are the numbers in front of their names the order they registered for the tournament or something?

·
Premium Member
37,914 Posts
pegula's development has been really impressive.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sometimes I can't wrap my head around Svitolina still being in the top 10.

She hasn't won anything above a 250 since 2018 and her last final above a 250 was YEC 2019. Crazy. I get she's gone deep in bigger tournaments to sustain her ranking but it's still weird to me.
I think it’s because YEC 2019 points hasn’t dropped yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How is Svitolina 10th in race this year? Just one MM title, nothing more, not even any other final at any level, no big slam run. By winning 1-2 matches everywhere?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

how long did it take?

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
There is nothing flashy, nothing super exciting, nothing crowd energizing, no drama, no gamesmanship, no super highs or super lows....but Jess is just hard working, professional, no frills tennis player.
I really respect that about her. And super respect the fact that despite her families billionaire status, she has obviously put in the hard yards and worked hard to get where she is.
Who would've had her in the YEC in the beginning of the year? Or even in the conversation for a spot?

·
Art & Futures
22,842 Posts
So Pegula is really going to qualify for the WTA finals? If she wins her next match, it looks pretty good for her (if Barty pulls out).

Some impressive hitting again from her. With that easy power and her no-nonsense attitude, it's enjoyable to see her dismantle uninspired opponents like that.

Svitolina however was not at her best physically. She took a MTO after the first set, her serve was a mess and she kind of gave up in the end. Let's hope this won't affect her too long.
well we will see

Pegula is 1 point behind Svitolina who is at #10 right now. Pegula not scheduled to play anything else but Svitolina is... and we all know Svito will try her darndest to make it

21 - 40 of 65 Posts