Keep calm and be gay.
51,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dead.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
It was a good demolition job. Pegula earns my respect here.

·
Apart from that 250 title she disgustingly vultured, Svitolina has had a mediocre year no? I'm surprised it isn't her who is on the receiving end of these "is she done?" threads. It looks like she has exhausted her game and has no more room for improvement, she's just doing what she can to survive until she inevitably gets beaten by a good player.

·
Registered
36,341 Posts
So Pegula is really going to qualify for the WTA finals? If she wins her next match, it looks pretty good for her (if Barty pulls out).

Some impressive hitting again from her. With that easy power and her no-nonsense attitude, it's enjoyable to see her dismantle uninspired opponents like that.

Svitolina however was not at her best physically. She took a MTO after the first set, her serve was a mess and she kind of gave up in the end. Let's hope this won't affect her too long.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I am not surprised at the result as Pegula has had a very solid year on HCs and both of them were roughly at around same points in YEC race...I am just surprised at how easily she won though.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
go jess!!!! i really admire how she's effectively used her unlimited cash to become a really well-rounded tennis player and truly maxing out her potential. i remember watching her in 2013 and she was nothing like the player i see now. rooting for her to make YEC!

as for the other one.... stay basic

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
She now ties Barty and Sakkari for most top 10 wins this season. 7 scalps in total (Osaka, Svitolina x2, Pliskova x4). I don't want to jinx her, but the way the draw is going, this could be a really important week for her in terms of making that next career breakthrough. Certainly making ground towards the YEC as well, whilst others are stalling (Svitolina, Sakkari, Muguruza, with Swiatek and Jabeur still fighting here).

She plays Azarenka or Sasnovich next. She and Azarenka have split wins this year (Jess winning on hard at the AO) and played doubles together in Cinci.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would love for Pegula to make at least the SF and accept a WC to one of the upcoming European 250s to firmly secure her position for YEC, with the looming expected withdrawals form Barty and Osaka

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
I guess Elaine was injured so she deserves some sympathy, but this kind of match sums up her career and year. So close but so far. She still has a small shot at the YEC if she wins Tenerife and PAVLYUCHENKOVA/PEGULA stop winning (or KONTAVEIT/KERBER/BADOSA/FERNANDEZ don't somewhat unexpectedly win IW), but once again she let an opportunity slip away from her control. I want to support her but she makes it so hard…

Very impressive for PEGULA yet again… Crazy to imagine her in the top eight, but she kind of deserves it for the consistency she has shown this year.

Reactions: Phil=)

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I used to think Pegula’s coach David Whitt who was Venus’s long time coach wasn’t very good but since he became Pegula’s coach shes significantly improved.
I hope Svitolina doesn’t qualify for YEC.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Pegula had the complete game going today, Svitolina had no chance.

·
Registered
117,455 Posts
Very good chance at the YEC and deserves it more than 2021 Svitolina

Reactions: theperson
1 - 20 of 65 Posts