Tennis Forum banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Not Claire Curran? A flip flopper from Belfast who started her career for Ireland and then in a laughable attempt for WCs changed to GB and I think got one Wimbledon Doubles WC. She’s about one level above a club player, tell me Prime haven’t roped her into commentary. 😂😂
Yes it's her.
I don't watch on Prime, but through some kind of international feed the Canadian Cable company uses. But I'm hearing posters in Holland and elsewhere suffering through the same dynamic duo.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Apparantly it's international commentating on many channels in the world. Can channels buy commentating because it's cheaper then to pay a national commentator for those dark hours in the night? (In Europe that is)
Well just guessing but I think sports cable networks who aren't sending their own teams to events--and that would be most--buy some kind of "international feed" which includes commies and of course the live video of the match itself.

The only time I've heard commies calling the match who aren't there was ESPN during the pandemic, so you saw McEnroe and Chrissie et al in Snowy Conneticutt calling the AO from a distance. I think these "international feeds" are produced by the atp and the wta.

Here in Canada we are either getting those, or ESPN, or Tennis Channel or SKy SPorts, via TSN (the Canadian Sports network).

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I actually wonder if Fernandez is intimidating for her opponents right now, not just because she plays well and you know she will come at you until the last ball, but also because every time she turns the table on you in a point, she will get an uproarious reaction from the crowd. It must be jarring to feel that energy directed toward her, sure, but inevitably also against you, again and again. She’s this little conductor who can use the crowd’s energy like a blunt instrument against you.
Leylah intimidating? She of the slight frame and 5'4" or 5'5" at most intimidating taller and bigger opponents?

Sounds absurd but I remember Jokoy, the comedian. He says he's intimidated by a 4'8" woman - his Filipino mom. 😀😅

So yeah - maybe Leylah does intimidate opponents - not with her physical stature - but by the physical aspect of her game + her influence on the crowds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Leylah intimidating? She of the slight frame and 5'4" or 5'5" at most intimidating taller and bigger opponents?

Sounds absurd but I remember Jokoy, the comedian. He says he's intimidated by a 4'8" woman - his Filipino mom. 😀😅

So yeah - maybe Leylah does intimidate opponents - not with her physical stature - but by the physical aspect of her game + her influence on the crowds.
Idk she gets this look in her eyes like she's out for blood when she's on the court. I'd be intimidated by that 🥺

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for saying it. No one ever talks about her lack of fitness.
Such nonsense.
If you're implying fat--total nonsense and insulting.
If you're implying a history of injuries, all kinds of fit players get injured a lot, Nadal being the prime example.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The people’s US Open champion.
Well like it or not - these days a player's popularity can largely be gauged by their Instagram following - and Fernandez' following is a fraction of Raducanu's.

Of course Fernandez is popular with the US spectators watching live - as they are enjoying 3 set comebacks as their heroine uses her fitness and mental toughness to eventually defeat more talented players.

It's a bit like watching a drunk stumbling across the street, though - she gets there in the end through sheer determination without impressing very much....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well like it or not - these days a player's popularity can largely be gauged by their Instagram following - and Fernandez' following is a fraction of Raducanu's.

Of course Fernandez is popular with the US spectators watching live - as they are enjoying 3 set comebacks as their heroine uses her fitness and mental toughness to eventually defeat more talented players.

It's a bit like watching a drunk stumbling across the street, though - she gets there in the end through sheer determination without impressing very much....
It's clear that Raducanu is far more popular than Fernandez at present - her global presence (establishing her brand in China etc) outweighs anything Leylah can currently achieve.

That's not to say that Leylah isn't popular, and if/when she wins a slam, her popularity shall also surge.

:whistle:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Why is every discussion about Leylah turning in to a 'but Emma is better' discussion

Are they conjoined twins who has no seperate lives ?
I kinda like that. Let them have their "rivalry" while other girls' fans can focus on tennis.

Reactions: ChrisR

·
Registered
70 Posts
Leylah has this habit of disrupting the momentum of her winning opponents. Always takes a bathroom break after loosing a set. And makes a fuss when someone is taking a genuine medical break.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I wonder why all the radu fans aren't spraying you with hate, as they were in my case--and still doo-- when I put it more mildly, by saying the simple truth that Leyleh had the tougher draw and was tired by the final.
That isn't how tennis works though. One could also point out how Raducanu has less experience at WTA level, had more matches in the afternoon sun compared to mostly night matches for Fernandez which makes a hell of a difference. You feel more tired in hotter afternoon sunlight than in night time conditions

Interesting that Fernandez won the two matches at night, failed v Rogers in sunlight.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts