Tennis Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Amazing victory.
Not so long ago, Leylah was frequently losing against the big hitters like Pavs. But she's been improving very fast since she left her previous coach (now with Anisimova).
If she can improve her first serve % and grow some muscle in the future, she could be a fixture in the Top 10.

At the start of the match, I thought if it goes to 3 sets, Pavs will run out of gas because she's like 25 pounds overweight.

Leylah's father was in her box in the first set, but was nowhere to be seen later. He seems to be very superstitious.
:LOL: Now that he knows Leylah wins when he's not in he player's box, he will not be in her box ever again LOL

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I actually wonder if Fernandez is intimidating for her opponents right now, not just because she plays well and you know she will come at you until the last ball, but also because every time she turns the table on you in a point, she will get an uproarious reaction from the crowd. It must be jarring to feel that energy directed toward her, sure, but inevitably also against you, again and again. She’s this little conductor who can use the crowd’s energy like a blunt instrument against you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I actually wonder if Fernandez is intimidating for her opponents right now, not just because she plays well and you know she will come at you until the last ball, but also because every time she turns the table on you in a point, she will get an uproarious reaction from the crowd. It must be jarring to feel that energy directed toward her, sure, but inevitably also against you, again and again. She’s this little conductor who can use the crowd’s energy like a blunt instrument against you.
Not if you’re a mental titan yourself.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The new Andreescu.
they are nothing alike.
Are people making this comparison because they're both Canadian?
Andreescu plays a lot of 3 setters because she loses the plot for a bit.
Fern has played, recently, 3 setters against top 5 players she shouldn't even be beating.
Such a difference.
Most on this thread don't seem to get it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
they are nothing alike.
Are people making this comparison because they're both Canadian?
Andreescu plays a lot of 3 setters because she loses the plot for a bit.
Fern has played, recently, 3 setters against top 5 players she shouldn't even be beating.
Such a difference.
Most on this thread don't seem to get it.
👍

·
Registered
716 Posts
Like Serena?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well, I enjoyed your last line--well described!
There's no denying she gets the crowd on her side in a big way. Maybe if she plays an American here it won't be like that.
But I don't think that is having that much effect on her opponents--they're all used to having to compete whether the crowd fav or not. But it certainly helps her! Have rarely seen a new player win over crowds like this. Last one was ...?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Fernandez needs be more clinical if she wants to reach the absolute top, otherwise she's going to get stuck on the periphery with a lot of other good players riding confidence waves and then being mediocre the rest of the time.
Its pretty much my thoughts too. Plus pretty much the majority of her service games her opponent gets to at least 30. Her serving stats were decent too. 13 break point opportunities

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Amazing victory.
Not so long ago, Leylah was frequently losing against the big hitters like Pavs. But she's been improving very fast since she left her previous coach (now with Anisimova).
If she can improve her first serve % and grow some muscle in the future, she could be a fixture in the Top 10.

At the start of the match, I thought if it goes to 3 sets, Pavs will run out of gas because she's like 25 pounds overweight.

Leylah's father was in her box in the first set, but was nowhere to be seen later. He seems to be very superstitious.
:LOL: Now that he knows Leylah wins when he's not in he player's box, he will not be in her box ever again LOL
Thanks for saying it. No one ever talks about her lack of fitness.

·
*Sesil*
21,920 Posts
Maybe, was he calling the match with Clair some irish women on what must have been an international feed?
Didn't sound like an ex-player, hard to say what he sounded like other than an idiot
Not Claire Curran? A flip flopper from Belfast who started her career for Ireland and then in a laughable attempt for WCs changed to GB and I think got one Wimbledon Doubles WC. She’s about one level above a club player, tell me Prime haven’t roped her into commentary. 😂😂

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Her service stat's were alright yet still managed to give up 13 break opportunities and almost every service game the opposition went to 30

If hanging in for every point when having an average service game every service game makes you a moral slam champion then Sara Sorribes Tormo has beaten Court's 24

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Not Claire Curran? A flip flopper from Belfast who started her career for Ireland and then in a laughable attempt for WCs changed to GB and I think got one Wimbledon Doubles WC. She’s about one level above a club player, tell me Prime haven’t roped her into commentary. 😂😂
Apparantly it's international commentating on many channels in the world. Can channels buy commentating because it's cheaper then to pay a national commentator for those dark hours in the night? (In Europe that is)

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
It’s unfortunate Pavs got this draw. I just don’t see top 10 happening 😪
Pavly lost in the first round of the AO this year. There is a very good reasonable 50/50 chance that won't happen next year. Plus she didn't even win Monterrey this season (can't remember who did now but I'm sure they are very talented.). Been waiting a decade I can wait another few months.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pavly lost in the first round of the AO this year. There is a very good reasonable 50/50 chance that won't happen next year. Plus she didn't even win Monterrey this season (can't remember who did now but I'm sure they are very talented.). Been waiting a decade I can wait another few months.
Leylah won Monterrey this year lol

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Is Pav's tarnishing her legacy? What's her top 10 chances now?

121 - 140 of 155 Posts