Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Maybe they're all just instances of the same proto-commentator.
At some point the Dutchies go to sleep and ESPN.nl obvious doesn't bother anymore where they get it from.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Couldn't watch. My thoughts are that it would be better if she could figure out a way to start better and win that first set and not have to work two and a half hours to beat such opponents. But a win is a win, so here's hoping she goes all the way.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Great match, Fernandez is really starting to grow on me. She doesn't have the biggest game but her drive and mental strength are incredible.
Pavs had this match but got a bit tentative after being up a break in the second and eventually ran out of steam. Hope she can still make top ten somehow.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wonder if you guys are talking about Kevin Skinner, I heard him earlier in the tournament for the first time in ages.
Definitely him, believe it or not he has improved. Unbearable when he is on his own. Has his own thread I believe. 🤦

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Don't know how Leylah won that match but she did. She just never quits on any point. Pavlyuchenkova went the same way as Sabalenka in the USO, in control and playing a solid game for the first set and a half, then some DF's and UE's appeared and a straight sets win was suddenly going to a 3rd and her energy wasn't there in set #3. Fernandez survived with a missing 1st serve in the first half of the match, closes it out with an ace! She was missing the t-line all night by a meter or more but hit the mark on MP#2!

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
117,483 Posts
46 in the 3rd sounds like the French final to Krejcikova. There goes YEC
Maybe if she can win Moscow again she has a slight chance

Reactions: flying_FF

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
These Canadians love their dramatic 3 set matches, eh?
3 sets in tennis match the 3 periods in a hockey game so maybe the Canadian players are making it easier for new Canadian tennis fans to understand the game! :D 🎾

• Haha
Reactions: Radical Emma

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
These Canadians love their dramatic 3 set matches, eh?
She really seems to go down the Andreescu path, it's a bit dangerous though because at some point she's going to lose one or two of these three-setters. But at least she usually only plays them vs top players and not vs everyone. 🤣

Pavlyuchenkova could've (should've?) won this as well but her level dropped and you cannot afford it against current Fernandez who's so fired up, full of confidence and with the crowd behind her she just wears you down. Is she ever going to get a day session though? I want to see her do the Leylah trademark move with only a handful of Aperol Spritz drinking spectators responding. 😅

·
Registered
13,774 Posts
It's weird but sometimes a loss like she suffered in the US Open final can be better for a player overall in their career than a win as it keeps that player grounded and with a desire to keep proving themselves, I get the feeling it's like that for Fernandez.

·
Banned
8,416 Posts
Well done leylah you are such a fighter! For 2 years she is sweet and shy and mostly under the radar and suddenly she is 1 of the best top ten beaters in the field.

·
Registered
597 Posts
To be fair, watched this back and still unimpressed. It honestly looked like a combo of Pavs freaking out at her last chance to make Top 10, and Fernandez just not getting tired. (Wasn't there someone else who never seemed to get tired, no matter how many 3-setters she played? 🤔)

·
Registered
55 Posts
To be fair, watched this back and still unimpressed. It honestly looked like a combo of Pavs freaking out at her last chance to make Top 10, and Fernandez just not getting tired. (Wasn't there someone else who never seemed to get tired, no matter how many 3-setters she played? 🤔)
Who are you referring to?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Another valuable win for Leylah to her already great collection of top players beaten.

She's a great fighter, very good mover and that FH can do quite a lot of damage. Her tennis IQ is also very high.

Looking forward to her match vs Rogers. On paper she'll be the favourite but with Rogers you just never know, one day she beats world no1, the other day she flops badly eating bakery products...

41 - 60 of 155 Posts