Tennis Forum banner

In this case, which is the best method of splitting almost identical picks?

• Use TB1 even though it was an unfinished match

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Let both players split rd2 points

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 5 38.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have a problem with what to do regarding a TT match in Prerov. Two players made the exact same picks, with the only difference being in a TB1 match which ended in a retirement. The question is really who should advance to the 2nd round?

Should we use TB1 to decide it, even though that match ended in a retirement and we don't usually count such matches?

Or, since both participants lost in the next round anyway, should they just split the ranking points for the 2nd round?

Or if you have a better idea, please suggest it in this thread.

The idea with the most votes will be used.....unless there is a universally loved "other" idea :lol:

In fact, we will be adding some kind of rule to ensure that this doesn't happen again, and I would like the views of the TT players. So please, post your views here.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Other:
1. Countback
2. If they have the same on countback, use ranking.
3. If same ranking, a coin toss.

·
Registered
14,340 Posts
I don't think ranking points should be split.. I just think this opens up the possibilities of people sending identical picks or something just so both people can get some points. :shrug: That might be the pessimest in me.

I run Suicide, and when there's an absolute tie, the final Tiebreak for us has been to see who posted first.. I don't know if you want to go that route though, because it hasn't exactly been popular for us either.

I was thinking though that maybe you can have them send picks for the next set of matches (ie, tomorrow when today was the tie), and whoever has the higher score then will be deemed the winner for the current match. I'd go as far as to have them predict the scores for every match on the OOP just so that there'd definitely be a winner.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Countback
2. If they have the same on countback, use ranking.
3. If same ranking, a coin toss.
To make it clear, countback is generally used, but obviously can't be used in rd1 matches :p

·
Kookie Supporter
67,605 Posts
To make it clear, they had identical picks two days in a row, with the only exception the TB on day 2.

I don't feel comfortable with using ranking as a way to decide. That way the lower ranked player always loses out.

Fairest way for me is using the one match that is different, even if it was a retirement.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. I don't like using ranking to decide either...

·
The only girl in the world.
20,969 Posts
I was thinking though that maybe you can have them send picks for the next set of matches (ie, tomorrow when today was the tie), and whoever has the higher score then will be deemed the winner for the current match. I'd go as far as to have them predict the scores for every match on the OOP just so that there'd definitely be a winner.
I agree with this one. Actually we've done it before so why not now?

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with this one. Actually we've done it before so why not now?
This situation is slightly different in that they had the same picks twice in a row.

Also, both competitors are out already as they would both have lost in rd2 regardless of who won between them. But yes, perhaps they should send picks for tomorrow.....:unsure:

·
The only girl in the world.
20,969 Posts
but I think they will pick the same tomorrow too.
What then?
It sounds stupid but I think they should send their picks as long as there is no difference.
But I could also agree on counting TB with retirement.
Using the ranking is not the best solution and it wouldn't be fair for the lower-ranked player.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
80,451 Posts
They should send picks for tomorrow and this should decide.

They must send picks anyway cause they are still alive in doubles.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They should send picks for tomorrow and this should decide.

They must send picks anyway cause they are still alive in doubles.
Yes, this seems like a sensible idea.

But I guess the poll is still relevant, cos the picks might be identical again :tape:

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I go with the first option. I still believe it's the oen that can be more fair...in this case they would both lose in the next round but in case that didn't happen how could we split the points? That automatically discards option 2...

·
The long and winding road.
50,744 Posts
In this case, seeing how they obviously discuss picks and agree on them together, we do have a case of match fixing in a way. :shrug:

I mean, you'd think they'd use common sense and not do that if they face each other.

·
Premium Member
23,144 Posts
In this case, seeing how they obviously discuss picks and agree on them together, we do have a case of match fixing in a way. :shrug:

I mean, you'd think they'd use common sense and not do that if they face each other.
The manager can send a PM to them to predict the score of different games in case of many ties

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I think we're making a bigger deal out of this than what it really is all about. Clearly we have only had this problem with those two, so instead of making a big fuss we shoudl give the victory to the one who has the best TB even if the match was discarded because of a retirement...period.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts