Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often get estimated numbers of HIV positives but we hardly get the realistic picture of where we are.
To be honest, I have no friend or nobody I know in person who is an HIV positive, but it's just I'm not aware.
I'm sure there are more people then people who are officially listed as positives that are infected without knowing.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
there are, but usually they present the early symptoms. however, some people are fine and dont present any of the symptoms so its hard to tell

people who have a very promiscious sex life without using contraceptions should definitely get tested though once in a while, just to be on the safe side

also people who share needles

and people who have blood transfusions/operations in a 3rd world country

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
http://www.avert.org/aafrica.htm
Sub-Saharan Africa is the region of the world that is most affected by HIV/AIDS. An estimated 26.6 million people are living with HIV/AIDS and approximately 3.2 million new infections occurred in Sub-Saharan Africa in 2003. In just the past year the epidemic has claimed the lives of an estimated 2.3 million Africans. Ten million young people (aged 15-24) and almost 3 million children under 15 are living with HIV. An estimated eleven million children have been orphaned by AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa.

In four southern African countries, the national adult HIV prevalence rate has risen higher than was thought possible and now exceeds 30%. These countries are Botswana (37.5%), Lesotho (31.5%), Swaziland (38.6%) and Zimbabwe (33.7%), whereas in South Africa and Zambia around 20% of the adult population is infected.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i think the 2003 worldwide stats are around 40 million.
5 million of those cases are new in 2003.

"in reality"?? that's not possible since not everyone gets tested. :) an estimate is the best we can do.

i think the top 3 countries with NEW cases are subsaharan africa, north africa, middle east...and then southeast asia i think...

the reason why you dont know anyone with HIV may very likely be becasue they DONT WANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO KNOW??? and so they havent told anyone?? i dont think telling others would be the first thing on my mind if i had HIV.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
oh, forgot to add that about 28 million have died from AIDS since 1985 ( and those are the reported cases!!)

so since 1985 about 68 million people have contracted HIV. not including those who never got tested. or where there was no record of cause of death. :)

roughly estimating, about 5 million new cases per year....just like in 2003.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts