Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from this week's mailbag. Which kinda leads to the question, which one of US is Wertheim?

I thought I heard an announcer mention that Stefan Edberg once launched a serve at the U.S. Open that hit an elderly linesman in the groin area, causing him to fall down and hit his head on the ground, which ultimately resulted in his death. Have you ever heard about this? I'm sure I didn't dream this up, and I would love to have it verified. <br />
<br />

—Thor Evenhouse, Santa Cruz, Calif.

<br />It's true. And the poor guy's name was, no joke, Dick Wertheim -- a phrase, as I understand it, that crops up repeatedly on tennis message boards.<br />

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Well, I am certain Wertheim used to cruise the Sanex board for material, because on several occasions I would see him make an observation out of the blue on a topic nobody was talking about. Except of course me on the Sanex board 4 or 5 days earlier. For instance, when I commented on Lindsay's Tier II winners check compared to the runner up of the Masters Series event held the same week. Guess what revelation Jon suddenly commented on. I also remember someone's "tennis books never written" thread, that we all contributed to and he stole a bunch of our stuff verbatim. Fortunately, I don't think he has found this board.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's found it. But if we're all as hot sh*t as we think we are ( I do include myself here), we should be happy he's using our stuff instead of relying on his own, n'est-ce pas?

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Volcana ]</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts