Tennis Forum banner

Please choose the option(s) that most closely reflect your opinion.

• <1 Doubles Slam = 1 singles slam (doubles slams are worth more than singles slams)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
A person with one singles slam is greater than a person with 100+ doubles slams.

For example: The Bryan brothers in ATP, none of them is greater than any of the slam winners in Singles.
They're greater than albert costa....thomas johanson...petra korda....... I could go on....... The only one slam wonder they probably arent considered greater than is Andy Roddick, but Roddick made four other slam finals and had he not existed during Federer era probably would have won more. (that said they should be considered greater than him)

Anyway, I dont think you can compare the two. Different games. Those saying when talking singles you dont care about doubles. I disagree completely. Look at the players who are tied in singles, but also played doubles....

Nav pretty much dominates Evert
Venus tops Henin
Hingis Better than Sharapova

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Not sure it can be evaluated

But if you wanted to try:eek:h: surely the value of a doubles title has to diminish over time?? Certainly since I have started watching tennis there may be the odd blip here and there but the overall trend in terms of the quality of the doubles field has been in only one direction - continually downwards. People will say it is a different discipline which it is but surely nobody is seriously arguing the best players in the world are playing doubles? And at one point many of them did.

And the value of doubles may keep diminishing as many of the young players coming through seem to have very little interest. Ironically the nearest thing to a well known young player in a doubles draw these days is Jelena Oysterpancake.:eek:h: Even Ash Barty seemed to have better things to do this Wimbledon.:[
Su-Wei, Barbie are almost in the final. Wait, are you calling them "old"? :SNE:

Mertens and Sabalenka are fairly serious about their doubles. And Mladenovic is well known.

But of course, personally I agree - Ostapenko clearly is the main draw in doubles these days - it took both Andy Murray *and* Serena to outshine her hype. And it takes a Federer-Nadal for me to even consider skipping her semifinal :laugh2: :p

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I randomly chose 5:1 because it felt about right. But honestly it is more to do with an indefinable greatness in the discipline than just a counting stat - and I would say that someone like Cara Black had "it". The 60+ year old Navratilova somehow, some way, still seems to be able to bring it - at least once in a blue moon in an invitational match - to me, her doubles slams and titles are not meaningless at all in assessing her overall greatness. Hingis is another one like that.

·
Premium Member
20,393 Posts
The HOF counts doubles as a criteria so it absolutely counts. Does it out weigh singles? Probably not but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. It takes training and skill just like singles. The fact that singles gets more attention shouldn't mean doubles is ignored.

Someone like Pam Shriver is absolutely greater than a one slam wonder in singles.

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
They're greater than albert costa....thomas johanson...petra korda....... I could go on....... The only one slam wonder they probably arent considered greater than is Andy Roddick, but Roddick made four other slam finals and had he not existed during Federer era probably would have won more. (that said they should be considered greater than him)
Bullshit. The Bryans would lose against these players in singles.

Reactions: MoonballPusher

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Bullshit. The Bryans would lose against these players in singles.
And yet Doubles record:

Costa: 30–57
Johnason:76–98
Korda: actually won a doubles slam but most people dont know his name.

also as far as greatness, I assumed we meant name/historical recognition not actual tennis skill.

·
52,614 Posts
The greats of the WTA such as Court and Navratilova have the boxset in each and even mixed for good measure.

·
always getting what i want
17,842 Posts
If doubles slams count for anything then Navratilova >>> Serena, no contest.

·
Registered
37,747 Posts
If doubles slams count for anything then Navratilova >>> Serena, no contest.
Idk, Serena has 14 doubles Slams herself. Navratilova >>>> Graf for sure, though.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts