Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully she can she definetly has a good enough game..what do u think?and which major would be the most likely she would be able to win

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
selesadmirer said:
hopefully she can she definetly has a good enough game..what do u think?and which major would be the most likely she would be able to win
I don't really envision Jenny beating the WS, Kim and Justine in any combination which is what she will most likely have to do to win a slam.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
yeah, it's just not enough to beat one Williams sister or one Belgian...you gotta be ready to take on two or more of the foursome to go all the way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If she is to win another slam it would be in australia when its early in the season as the WS will probably not play as well as they would later on. she would also need a VERY favourable draw for her to win. e.g. if she can get into the top 4 at the end of the year she could have a easy run to the semis and face kim who imo will have a big chance and hope that the williams sisters are in the other half of the draw together and beat one of them in the final.

But thats a very big if and she will be very lucky to get this scenario.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't see jen beat te WS or the belgians at least not 2 in a row. it would be great if she did though. but it also depends on what the youngsters do. sharapova is dangerous now but players like zvonareva and kuznetsova, mikaelian, douchevina. i'm mainly thinking of zvonareva, petrova, kuznetsova, lina k, mikaelian, tulyaganova. if they can step there games up another notch or 2 then things will be more interesting and less predictable which would give jen a better chance of winning because these sort of players could cause some upsets over top players.

but if the WS and the belgians are in the slams i don't think she'll get there. if 2 of them were out with injury like us open this year then she has a shot but otherwise it won't happen.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The answer is "NO".... After what we've watched at the US Open Semis this year... We should all know that clearly!!!

Jennifer is lack of self-belief and self-confidence to close out a match against a top player right now!!

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Unless there's another Williamless or Belgianless grandslam, I don't see Jen winning another grandslam :sad:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
NO! Her game is about defense she has no PLAN B. She can't close out matches.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
i say yes if jenn belives that she can and i think she does. jenn was only a few points away in the semis from a 6-4, 6-3 win. and we all saw at wimbledon that jenn can still keep up with serena. jenn has all the physical tools, she just needs to remeber that she is former world #1, 3 time grand slam champ, and gold medal winner. jenn's a fighter never, never count her out.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I won't ever count her out. If she is playing well it's definetly hard to beat her....Belgian, Williams, or anyone....she's tough to beat. Good luck to her!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It is evident that the top players are mentally stronger than Jenn, so I don't see her winning a major title again. She can't beat even a cramping opponent already.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
There are at least 4 players more likely than her, possibly more than that. I'd give her a 1 in 5 chance of bagging one at some point during the year.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
NO...!!!

"She blew her best chance at the US Open 2003..."

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Jen can work on her mental game if she wants to win enough. she has alraedy improved greatly since the start of the year. People said before that Jen would never win a slam. like when she wasnt even ranked in the top 100.....:rolleyes: and look what happened? you should never count Jen out...she is capable of winning and hopefully she will see that very soon. :kiss:

whatever, even if she never wins another major again she has achieved more than half of us on this board will ever achieve. she was the best in the world at something.....how many of us can say that?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I think it's all down hill for Jennifer from here on out. You can see how thick her body has become- possibly from performance enhancement therapy. She has always had some of the cleanest, most crisp groundies out there, but she's never been the best thinker, and there are 5 or 6 players at the top of tennis who can and do beat her regularly. This U.S. Open was her last best chance. Once the Williams sisters return, Jennifer returns to having no chance, and she's only getting older, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
She sure has a great chance. She keeps getting better and better, and the top players never overlook her, they know that they are going to have to play at their absolute best to beat her. Just like Justine said about her semi with Jen, " It could have gone either way, I was lucky". Check out Jennifer' GREAT ATTITUDE after her semi....
Q. We sometimes ask athletes what it's like to lift the trophy at that moment of triumph. The harder question is what is that feeling of loss after over three hours, there's that finality, it's sweeping over you? Can you describe those feelings you must have?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: It's pretty hard to put it into words. I mean, it's definitely, you know, after that kind of defeat and then, you know, have to come here and kind of answer these questions... (Smiling).

I mean, that's what it's all about, you know. That's the risk you're taking. I mean, that's what being an athlete is. You could get such joy in winning, but there's the other side of it. You know, a true champion, a true player, that's how they can handle it and come through that kind of defeat.

You know, still almost ‑‑ I mean, I still, like, thrive on this kind of match. You know, I do want to come back and try it again, you know.

Jen has a great shot at the AO, a surface well suited to her playing style, and if she continues training in the off season, she will be ready.

And for those who say she is getting old... that is bullshit. Jen has been virtually injury free her whole career, and she was off the circuit for 3 years in the middle of her career. She has atleast another 3-4 good years left in her body.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I believe Jenny will go on for a few yrs cos of all the tennis she lost at the beginning of her career. I mean she is actually probably physically as good as anyone out there. I have faith she can win another slam, not to sure she does which is really what counts. Apart from Serena she can beat anyone out there in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts