Tennis Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Re: Indeed, ANYBODY could be a WTA website manager!!!

at wtatennis.com/players
"Search for a player" box:

Henin - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.
Evert - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.
davenport - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.

but with the global site search box you get results

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #162

at wtatennis.com/players
"Search for a player" box:

Henin - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.
Evert - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.
davenport - Sorry, we couldn't find any players that match your search.

but with the global site search box you get results
Your complaint is legitimate, IMO, more so when you consider that even the previous(lousy) site used to have data on former players. Perhaps they decided that the number of players who have been ranked in the WTA, at some point, is in the tens of thousands(or possibly even MUCH, much higher) and that fans could just google for info on retired players so that the site could 'lighten' its database....Just guessing here.

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #164

Isn't this pretty much the old calendar?

https://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments/2020
You're pretty much correct. The only real difference is in format as they have traditionally offered it in pdf, but they'll probably do that before the start of next season; the pdf they have right now is for this calendar year's season.

·
Registered
17,536 Posts

You're pretty much correct. The only real difference is in format as they have traditionally offered it in pdf, but they'll probably do that before the start of next season; the pdf they have right now is for this calendar year's season.
Just change the 2019 in the link to 2020. The new calendar is already there, they just haven't updated it, yet. ;)

http://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/calendar/WTA_Calendar_2020.pdf

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

Just change the 2019 in the link to 2020. The new calendar is already there, they just haven't updated it, yet. ;)

http://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/calendar/WTA_Calendar_2020.pdf
Didn't see any 125Ks listed; have they discontinued those tournaments or are they going to be classified as ITFs next season? Another possibility, I suppose, is that the dates and locations just haven't been determined yet

·
Registered
21,802 Posts

Another horrible made for mobile design which is terrible for people that mostly browse on desktop.
I use mainly mobile and still use the desktop version.

·
Registered
76,420 Posts

Looks much better.

Annoying thing is on the rankings page though. For example, if you wanted to view the players ranked in the 800s, you would have to continuously keep scrolling for a minute or so...

·
Registered
14,512 Posts
Indeed, ANYBODY could be a WTA website manager!!!

Looks much better.

Annoying thing is on the rankings page though. For example, if you wanted to view the players ranked in the 800s, you would have to continuously keep scrolling for a minute or so...

It is annoying that you only see the top 20 before having to click “view more “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

IMO, they deserve some leeway to work out some kinks between now and the official start of next season. Still, they'll need to either include the players' ages or eliminate age as one of the sub-headings because it's bad for credibility and appearances to have so many players' ages listed as 'N/A' when that info is so easily attainable.

Back off-topic again, has anyone heard about plans for the 125s next season--have they been discontinued:confused:

·
Registered
21,802 Posts

I tried contacting my friend in the Communications Office who also works in the main office, but he appears to be in off-season mode.

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

I tried contacting my friend in the Communications Office who also works in the main office, but he appears to be in off-season mode.
Jasmine Paolini, at #96, is the only player in the Top 100 from the Gray Silhouette Mafia right now, and she might not fall too far in the rankings anytime soon as it appears she didn't do much at tournaments at last year's end.

More importantly, they still didn't have the schedule for next year readily available when I checked today. They DO have January but then you get a message that they "can't find any tourament data" for the succeeding months. Even so, I'm looking for feedback from other posters; has the site improved enough that we should change the title of the thread, as I posited last week? Or should we leave the title, as is, until more improvements are made?

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #176

Well, I asked the question a few weeks ago and nobody gave any opinionated answer either way, so I'll go forward with changing the thread title to one that's a little less brusque in tone.

There HAVE been some noticeable improvements between the previous site format and the current one, but there is still room for cleaning things up a bit. No H2H history is offered right now, and there should be profile pics for any player with any recorded on-court history plus at least a basic bio on her background. The WTA makes ample annual profits that they can afford research assistants who focus solely on that player data. We see glitches, from time to time, where there is just a blank square in between a series of boxed features, which is an issue of professional-looking appearance.

IMO, it would be a very nice move if the site didn't merely list prior champions but rather explored the cities where events are held...not necessarily the same tour of architectural landmarks every year. The focus could be switched up; e.g., meeting and interviewing local fans or looking back at the history of the city and/or region. This would help site visitors connect much better with places that they may never see in person....That's all for now but other suggestions will remain welcome, of course.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
In the old WTA site, there were mistakes for some years in the Rankings Explained section. ITF points in one column were misrepresented in day-month format.

Same mistakes are still there in the new WTA site. And the ITF tournament categories are outdated.

New WTA

Old WTA

Attachments

161 - 180 of 181 Posts