Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Re: Indeed, ANYBODY could be a WTA website manager!!!

We've discussed the mediocre linguistic quality of many of the postings on the site in addition to the substandard caliber of writing on display, but I'd like to briefly address the borderline-insulting TONE of the wording and messaging that's often used.

A perfect example was when Sharapova released her candy line, Sugarpova. The business venture itself was newsworthy because Maria is one of the standout faces of the sport and she was branching out into a new adventure that would garner international attention. However, on the date of release, the WTA site offered us links on where to purchase each flavor of Sugarpova under its News subheading--along with articles about tournament results and legitimate stories that affect the sport. That's all; there was no commentary whatsoever, rather it was like a fixed version of a pop-up ad for Sugarpova. It would have been reasonable, IMO, if the site had just given Maria normal ad space to promote her product, but it was asinine to list that simple promo under 'News'.

·
Registered
28,795 Posts

Does anyone still go there?

Long gone are the days when I would read that site every day after coming home.

·
Registered
21,418 Posts

Give me like a week with it and I can guarantee you that it would be so much better than it is now, you wouldn't recognize it.

·
GIMME SHELTER
47,996 Posts

It became even more gonzo and confusing now, pls fire the draftsmen

·
Registered
21,418 Posts

Considering someone in the WTA Communications Office also works in the main office, should I volunteer my services to help improve the site?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Considering someone in the WTA Communications Office also works in the main office, should I volunteer my services to help improve the site?
It would be nice if you can leverage your connections with the Communication Office to see if something can be done with the website department. A simple "by the way..." might do.

Get paid though.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #150

They have a new format as of this morning, and I wonder if anyone remembers seeing any announcement about that(?). Will have to glance it over for a while before judging it, but one thing that I noticed right away is that American youth Catherine Mcnally(#117) USED to have a profile pic yet, for some odd reason, she is back in the Gray Silhouette Mafia(GSM).

Anna Kalinskaya, at #101, is the highest ranked in the GSM right now but Paolini, Gracheva and Zavatska are right behind her at 105, 106 and 107.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

Looks fresher.
Now what's this on the new "Rankings Explained" page:
"(+125 per round-robin match played; +160 per round-robin win)" - What?

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #152

Since I was the OP, I'd like some honest feedback on what posters think about the new site format. Like the poster above, I agree that it's a better format than what it was, but I'd like to hear if most of you feel that the WTA site is at least resonably comparable in quality to other sports sites. This was NOT set up as a trolling, bashing thread, rather I hoped that someone at the WTA would see the plaintive posts and take corrective action.

If most of you think that the new format is at least adequate, then I won't close the thread, as that would be disrespectful to eveyone else who posted here, but I'll go back and change the title to something more tone-neutral like, "Recommended Improvements to the WTA Website". I'll likely stop posting here, myself, in that case...unless the site regresses as it did before with the previous format we had. I still believe that there's no reason for ANY player to be in the Gray Silhouette Mafia unless she's a relative unknown hermit-type who barely even plays the smallest ITF events on the schedule.

·
Registered
21,418 Posts

It looks much better, but let's see if they can keep it up. I guess there's no reason to say anything to anyone then.

·
Registered
14,044 Posts

Looks fresher.

Now what's this on the new "Rankings Explained" page:

"(+125 per round-robin match played; +160 per round-robin win)" - What?

Hum another mistake? a new change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

It looks much better, but let's see if they can keep it up. I guess there's no reason to say anything to anyone then.
Do you think it's reasonably comparable to other sports' sites? And what do you mean by 'keep it up''? Do you mean NOT changing the format, like they did with the previous one, to an awful set-up that isn't fan friendly? Hopefully, they learned their lesson after hearing about the harsh criticism from fans.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think they changed it NOW--instead of waiting until next season--as a sort of olive branch to dissatisfied fans, an incentive of sorts for that fanbase.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

So.... the whole H2H database has disappeared on the new site

·
Registered
242 Posts

I actually like it. Spent all morning looking around, felt like a bunch of new content all at once instead of seeing a new article once a month. The additional content in sections; charity, photos, tournaments. The layout of new graphics. This rivals of other sport websites - the WPSL looks like it was a high school project. The larger score banner up top is a nice touch.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

The missing calendar is huge especially this time of year when fans are looking for the start of play Down Under.

I think it looks okay for the most part. Let's hope they keep it updated.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts