Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: Indeed, ANYBODY could be a WTA website manager!!!

Yeah that website is pretty bad. It may not seem like that big a deal but it's literally their job (or part of it) to promote the sport, and the website is one of the ways to do that.

·
Premium Member
36,973 Posts

None of your points were bad or illogical, but my answer to you is simple: The fans deserve it:shrug:. Granted, this is nothing at all compared to social justice causes, as with your gilets jaunes in France, but all the demands of the posters in this thread are quite reasonable.

Most compelling, there's no valid excuse for why the WTA staff CAN'T get this done because every other major pro sports organization--even the ATP within the very same sport--does significantly or even vastly better.
I need to take back what I said. I don't go often on the WTA site and shouldn't have said they don't maintain it with high care. I checked a bit more as of late and what they do there is decent. It's daily updated, informative, the efforts don't deserve the shit you wrote in this thread.

·
Premium Member
36,973 Posts

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/WTA_Tennis/14651/tennis-belgian-teenager-alison-van-uytvanck-wins-biggest-title-of-career-in-taipei/

The link above is NOT directly from the WTA site, it must be pointed out. I vividly recall when Van Uytvanck won this, her first title, because the WTA website's congratulatory article was geared towards WICKMAYER, as if Yanina had won the match instead of Alison. A week later, the headline still hadn't been changed and, after that, I just sort of shook my head and forgot about it for the time, so who knows if they EVER caught the mistake.

The value of an idea is NOT determined by how many people believe it, and anyone who has convictions in their beliefs should not be threatened but rather tolerant of disagreement. Still, it's worth noting that I've only heard of one person on the planet:lol: who felt that the current WTA site was top notch, and even HE did a complete 180 on his own opinion within a few days...which is at least somewhat curious;).

What's NOT in dispute is that most all professional operations have some degree of oversight; for example, if the wrong hour for an upcoming meeting is posted, someone else catches it and the error is corrected. What Wickmayer's Taipei 'victory' lasting at least a week shows us is that there IS no apparent oversight for the WTA site manager: He just goes whatever the hell he wants(with his magazines in his private room:p) and simply deletes any emails that are critical of the site so that his higher-ups can't ever read them.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Because of a bad tendency to be overly harsh at times, I figured that I might just be overreacting to the new "upgraded" WTA site when it first came out(to be fair, it's also true that there's a plaintive atmosphere that's often present at TF). However, I have at least 3 friends who are tennis fans and are also turn-the-other-cheek types, people who avoid conflict and are slow to judge others.

When every one of those mild-mannered friends agreed that the WTA site was amateurish in level of quality, that was all the confirmation that I needed. The site isn't tantamount to a MORAL shortcoming like predatory bank loans, but it's an embarrassing representation of a major pro sports league and is far inferior to every other one I've seen with the exception of the WNBA's--which has a much, much smaller global fanbase. My biggest concern is what may be a lack of oversight upon the site manager's performance;it's just hard to believe that the WTA brass would be proud of that page if they visited it and gave it a thorough review...unless they have grown callously indifferent to the WTA fanbase:eek:

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Actually I'm not going to try and defend them, if they found a way for Coco, they should have fixed Muchova too, this is just dumb and inexcusable at this level. So yes, I agree, these people are very bad at their job.
Guess what? You were right. It WAS do-able, as Muchova is no longer in the Gray Silhouette Mafia(GSM):lol:. You can't help wondering HOW that came about b/c it's clearly a somewhat-older pic, as evidenced by Karolina's natural hair color and complete absence of blonde highlights. Judging by Karolina's top and her side profile position, it looks like a candid practice photo, so I'm curious as to who submitted it.
In any event, here are the updated GSM YEC standings, now that Karolina is out of the running;)

1. Tamara Zidansek(world #56)-The two-time Croatia Bol Open champ has controlled this spot for a while and only lost it briefly after Muchova's Wimby run.

2. Elena Rybakina(#65)-Just won her maiden title in Bucharest. Somewhat surprising to see her here as many consider her gorgeous.

3. Jil Teichmann(#82)-The 2019 Prague champ is currently in the Palermo QFs with a respectable chance at her 2nd career title.

4. Astra Sharma(#91)-The 2019 Bogota runner-up was born in Singapore and some might call her exotically beautiful.

5. Whitney Osuigwe(#110)-The promising American junior won an 80K in Charlottesville in April right after her birthday.

6. Kaja Juvan(#111)-The youngster lost to her Slovenian countrywoman, Zidansek, in the Bol SFs before a very impressive effort against Serena at Wimby.

7. Greet Minnen(#122)-The Belgian gal has made two QFs via qualies this year...at Hobart and Rosmalen.

8. Xiyu Wang(#124)-The Chinese youth is considered a prodigy by many,and the 18-year-old won a 60K at La Bisbal d'Emporda, Spain in May.

Honorable Mention(and still with a good shot at the GSM YEC);): #134 Olga Danilovic, who not only won her first title at age 17 last year but was the first LL in over 35 years to win a tour event

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Guess what? You were right. It WAS do-able, as Muchova is no longer in the Gray Silhouette Mafia(GSM):lol:. You can't help wondering HOW that came about b/c it's clearly a somewhat-older pic, as evidenced by Karolina's natural hair color and complete absence of blonde highlights. Judging by Karolina's top and her side profile position, it looks like a candid practice photo, so I'm curious as to who submitted it.
In any event, here are the updated GSM YEC standings, now that Karolina is out of the running;)

1. Tamara Zidansek(world #56)-The two-time Croatia Bol Open champ has controlled this spot for a while and only lost it briefly after Muchova's Wimby run.

2. Elena Rybakina(#65)-Just won her maiden title in Bucharest. Somewhat surprising to see her here as many consider her gorgeous.

3. Jil Teichmann(#82)-The 2019 Prague champ is currently in the Palermo QFs with a respectable chance at her 2nd career title.

4. Astra Sharma(#91)-The 2019 Bogota runner-up was born in Singapore and some might call her exotically beautiful.

5. Whitney Osuigwe(#110)-The promising American junior won an 80K in Charlottesville in April right after her birthday.

6. Kaja Juvan(#111)-The youngster lost to her Slovenian countrywoman, Zidansek, in the Bol SFs before a very impressive effort against Serena at Wimby.

7. Greet Minnen(#122)-The Belgian gal has made two QFs via qualies this year...at Hobart and Rosmalen.

8. Xiyu Wang(#124)-The Chinese youth is considered a prodigy by many,and the 18-year-old won a 60K at La Bisbal d'Emporda, Spain in May.

Honorable Mention(and still with a good shot at the GSM YEC);): #134 Olga Danilovic, who not only won her first title at age 17 last year but was the first LL in over 35 years to win a tour event
Someone (maybe you) should make this into its own thread so maybe someone from the WTA sees it and fixes this stuff, like they did with the Wimbledon quarterfinalist.

And of course it was fixable, they did it with Gauff (because she was getting so much attention and it would have looked laughable if she didn't have a picture on the official WTA site no less), and I know she wasn't at the photo session thing they did during Indian Wells.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

I am pretty sure at some points Osaka was no1 at there wasn't a picture and/or what hand she plays..
She might have reached top 50 without a picture back in 2016 (could tell you one way or another), but number 1, that's just wrong. Osaka didn't just appear from thin air, she had been a top 100 player for almost 2 years before she had her breakthrough winning Indian Wells in 2018, then it took another 10 and a half months to get to number 1. She's had a picture there for years. Muchova on the other hand (and many of the girls we are talking about here) are just making their breakthroughs in the top 100.

·
Registered
813 Posts

How companies select service providers/vendors is a complicated game. It does not always end up with the best interests of the consumers in mind. The website is a very visible product by a shitty service provider but there are other off-the-radar procurement problems in the industry. Do not even get me started on things like the food supplier for the French Open which is a disgrace really but somehow tournament organisers have chosen to close their eyes on this.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Someone (maybe you) should make this into its own thread so maybe someone from the WTA sees it and fixes this stuff, like they did with the Wimbledon quarterfinalist.

And of course it was fixable, they did it with Gauff (because she was getting so much attention and it would have looked laughable if she didn't have a picture on the official WTA site no less), and I know she wasn't at the photo session thing they did during Indian Wells.
It's been said that TF is a den of whiners, and that's not a baseless accusation, so let's take things in the opposite direction by showing some gratitude!!!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AWFA_enMX735MX735&q=amy+binder+wta&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqsPO8-dDjAhUDZKwKHdVdA2UQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=911&bih=438#imgrc=NQQArAP_xiDxdM:
That's Amy Binder, WTA VP of global communications. She got at least one phone call this week about the website and also at least one email with a link to this thread. Then, in swift fashion, Muchova and the Top 4 on the list above all received profile pics. Coincidence? The odds on that being random are remote, IMO, so here's a sincere salute to Ms. Binder:hatoff::hatoff::hatoff:.Don't know if it's a long 'I' or the short sound in her last name.

As I re-inforced in my thank-you letter, she can easily distinguish that the WTA has a ways to go to catch up with other sports leagues in re the website, but her gesture of good faith deserves recognition, and we now have a completely 'visible' Top 100, with #110 Whitney Osuigwe the new leader in the Gray Silhouette Mafia;). As an act of thankfulness:angel:, I'll go at least a week without posting any criticism of the website here.

·
Registered
50,643 Posts

Another big mistakes in a WTA highlights video:

The match was Friedsam vs Cornet in Palermo.
But they wrote "Friedsam vs Jakupovic in Baltic Open" :tape: :eek: :help:
Embarrassing :facepalm:

·
Registered
911 Posts

She might have reached top 50 without a picture back in 2016 (could tell you one way or another), but number 1, that's just wrong. Osaka didn't just appear from thin air, she had been a top 100 player for almost 2 years before she had her breakthrough winning Indian Wells in 2018, then it took another 10 and a half months to get to number 1. She's had a picture there for years. Muchova on the other hand (and many of the girls we are talking about here) are just making their breakthroughs in the top 100.
Maybe I mistook wta site with itf - https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100194114

Do these profiles are updated by players? How "plays" can be "unknown" for her

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Maybe I mistook wta site with itf - https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100194114

Do these profiles are updated by players? How "plays" can be "unknown" for her
I think I also mistook what you wanted to say, and I think she definitely was the top player without a picture at some point.

The ITF profile I don't know, but since she never played juniors no wonder her ITF profile is so incomplete still.

And I don't know, I guess the players might upload photos of themselves there, on the ITF site, or maybe they just send a photo themselves to the people running that and she just never did.

·
Registered
16,199 Posts

We can add avatars to our profile here, but a player can't add her picture to her profile? What year is this? 1922?
Come on.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Kept my promise not to post here for at least a week, and it really wasn't any struggle:angel:. However, despite the gesture of good faith last week(likely brought about by Amy Binder) where they pictured every player in the Top 100 for the first time since at least May 2016(and possibly much longer), there's still LOTS of room for improvement.

Some might say that this doesn't fall under the purview of the site manager, but it's somewhat appalling to me that guys who are complete utter scrubs(translation: men over 25 who have won less than a handful of MD matches in their entire careers) still have profile pics on the livescores board while not one single WTA player--not even future HOF'ers--have been liberated from the Gray Silhouette Mafia.

That smacks of misogynistic disregard for the female players, IMO, and it shouldn't be that hard to fix if they were able to profile the ATP players correctly. Another option is to just delete the profile pics for the ATP guys and simply display all the players'(WTA and ATP) names and basic stats on the livescores w/o photos OR gray silhouettes

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Not much to add on this front. Paula Badosa Gibert entered the Top 100 for the first time on Monday, but she'd had a profile pic--and even some personal info listed--for quite some time. Whitney Osuigwe(#106) and Kaja Juvan(#108) are both in the Gray Silhouette Mafia, but it doesn't look like they're playing anywhere this week, so it doesn't seem possible for them to break into the Top 100 next Monday.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Not much to add on this front. Paula Badosa Gibert entered the Top 100 for the first time on Monday, but she'd had a profile pic--and even some personal info listed--for quite some time. Whitney Osuigwe(#106) and Kaja Juvan(#108) are both in the Gray Silhouette Mafia, but it doesn't look like they're playing anywhere this week, so it doesn't seem possible for them to break into the Top 100 next Monday.
We wait, for now it's all good fortunately.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

We wait, for now it's all good fortunately.
Osuigwe inched up to #105 and Kaja Juvan to #106, but #3 in the Gray Silhouette Mafia is 18-year-old Xiyu Wang of China at #115, and she's still alive in the 100K Vancouver draw.

After at least 3 1/2 years w/o a 'perfect' top 100, we've had one for almost a month now....we'll see how long it lasts. In other news, the livescores display at the top of the page is still set up in an embarrassingly-amateurish fashion. Let's see if they prioritize that before next season

61 - 80 of 181 Posts