Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Re: Indeed, ANYBODY could be a WTA website manager!!!

This is not a personal but a corporate management issue. And that is normally (in a non-criminal organization) public: >>> https://www.wtatennis.com/management-team

As you can see the Corporate communications duties are the responsibility of Amy Binder. But she is the new PR boss (since 2018). The WTA website in current form is a bit older than that.

Going back to the topic. The reason why this mess exists is lack of diversity. Someone earlier mentioned that Coco Gauff's photo was added last minute but not Muchova's. Well how the effin shit do we know that anyone at WTA's management level even knows who Muchova is? Half the tour are Eastern Europe, yet how many in the management are from (for example) the Czech republic? Big fat zero.

That silly "form" you mentioned to voice complaints will likely not help someone like Muchova who no body at WTA may have ever heard of. They'll just tell her the official procedure to wait until next year's (Indian Wells or whatever) photo session, just like every other player. WTA only respects power moves, which is what Coco Gauff did -- it's safe to say she didn't upload her photos in the middle of a tournament via that form. So if Muchova's team want her pictures in before next year's Indian Wells, they'd better call their friend Nick Bolletieri someone else who can pull strings.
I don't see any problem with going through the normal channels before escalating the issue. The mess may be exacerbated by the lack of diversity but underlying it all is the lack of competence. I wouldn't be surprised if the people in management have no clue who the rising stars are, and it might help to explain why they've done such a shoddy job of promoting them.

Either way, people at operational level will be the ones maintaining and implementing changes so it'll be interesting to get their response. I've just entered the tenth circle of hell and filled out the form. I fully expect a lacklustre reply that evades my questions and if/when that happens, I'd be all for taking it to social media.

·
Registered
14,687 Posts

I don't see any problem with going through the normal channels before escalating the issue. The mess may be exacerbated by the lack of diversity but underlying it all is the lack of competence. I wouldn't be surprised if the people in management have no clue who the rising stars are, and it might help to explain why they've done such a shoddy job of promoting them.

Either way, people at operational level will be the ones maintaining and implementing changes so it'll be interesting to get their response. I've just entered the tenth circle of hell and filled out the form. I fully expect a lacklustre reply that evades my questions and if/when that happens, I'd be all for taking it to social media.
I suggest Muchova skip normal channels and make a power move.

That's how Coco Gauff's profile is no longer empty as it was just days ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190711011041/https://www.wtatennis.com/players/player/328560/title/Cori-Gauff

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

I suggest Muchova skip normal channels and make a power move.

That's how Coco Gauff's profile is no longer empty as it was just days ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190711011041/https://www.wtatennis.com/players/player/328560/title/Cori-Gauff
She could and probably should do that - as should other top 100 players who are also missing a profile pic: Zidansek, Sharma, Teichmann. A bunch of players have pics that look different from the photo shoot style (eg Golubic) so there's no reason why they can't put a placeholder photo for the players above.

But it is just one symptom of the bigger clusterfuck of a problem that is the WTA website :lol: I'd rather they provide content with actual substance and improve the functionality.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

This is not a personal but a corporate management issue. And that is normally (in a non-criminal organization) public: >>> https://www.wtatennis.com/management-team

As you can see the Corporate communications duties are the responsibility of Amy Binder. But she is the new PR boss (since 2018). The WTA website in current form is a bit older than that.

Going back to the topic. The reason why this mess exists is lack of diversity. Someone earlier mentioned that Coco Gauff's photo was added last minute but not Muchova's. Well how the effin shit do we know that anyone at WTA's management level even knows who Muchova is? Half the tour are Eastern Europe, yet how many in the management are from (for example) the Czech republic? Big fat zero.

That silly "form" you mentioned to voice complaints will likely not help someone like Muchova who no body at WTA may have ever heard of. They'll just tell her the official procedure to wait until next year's (Indian Wells or whatever) photo session, just like every other player. WTA only respects power moves, which is what Coco Gauff did -- it's safe to say she didn't upload her photos in the middle of a tournament via that form. So if Muchova's team want her pictures in before next year's Indian Wells, they'd better call their friend Nick Bolletieri someone else who can pull strings.
Thank you for the support and information:hatoff:. Will attempt to contact Amy Binder or, at least, her administrative asst. Would like to share the link to this thread with her so she can see that there is complete 100% unanimity(which is VERY rare) ,among fans from all over the world, that the WTA site is not 'bad' but rather an atrocious joke. I suspect that the WTA higher-ups aren't aware of this because the site manager simply deletes virtually any complaint letter that exposes what an incompetent, goat-manure-level job he's doing

·
Registered
16,190 Posts

Why not simply design a system where the player uploads her own picture, the same way we add avatars to our accounts here?

·
Registered
16,190 Posts

Thank you for the support and information:hatoff:. Will attempt to contact Amy Binder or, at least, her administrative asst. Would like to share the link to this thread with her so she can see that there is complete 100% unanimity(which is VERY rare) ,among fans from all over the world, that the WTA site is not 'bad' but rather an atrocious joke. I suspect that the WTA higher-ups aren't aware of this because the site manager simply deletes virtually any complaint letter that exposes what an incompetent, goat-manure-level job he's doing
I'd be surprised if any of the managers listed here visit the site more than once a year.

·
Registered
813 Posts

The profiles of the management team are quite telling. Certainly, given their demographic they cannot connect either with today’s twentysomething-citizen-of-the-world WTA player or the audience which consumes content in a very different kind of way.

And where is the CFO by the way? On the ATP website, Chief Revenue Officer and CFO come straight after the CEO

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Well, I found the contact data for Amy Binder, WTA P.R. Director, and it wasn't hard at all, so any other poster here could do it, too, if he/she felt inclined. Can't say, obviously, if the phone # goes directly to Ms. Binder or a secretary, but it's probably the latter.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she truly respects the sport and simply doesn't realize how pathetic the site is. For that reason, I'm not going to list her contact data specifics, for now, as I don't want her to feel put-upon if she opts to visit the thread.

Still haven't decided whether I'm going to call or not(it's a # for the U.S. state of Florida, which is in the Eastern Time Zone, like New York City), but I'll at least email her with a link to this thread. When she sees the 100% agreement among fans from so many different nations, she SHOULD be motivated to speak frankly with the site manager. Let's hope that she's not some disinterested bureaucrat; however, if that worst-case scenario is true, we can move on to "Plan B"

·
Premium Member
36,868 Posts

I wonder why you complain about a missing picture of Muchova's profile when you have right below videos/highlights of her matches showing how she looks like, and how she plays. Not part of her profile, but on the same page of the site.

To me, it may explain something very simple: who needs old-fashioned profiles when on the internet you find videos, interviews, everything you want?

The WTA website is probably not maintained with high care. This forum shows we all know very well the players without even needing to check the WTA site. Hell, most of us probably don't even pay a dime to watch the streams of the tour. How many of us? 5%? I didn't renew my subscription for this year. That's not how they will find money and they know it.

A website for the casual fans? They will use google, check wiki, etc.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

The WTA website is probably not maintained with high care.

A website for the casual fans? They will use google, check wiki, etc.
None of your points were bad or illogical, but my answer to you is simple: The fans deserve it:shrug:. Granted, this is nothing at all compared to social justice causes, as with your gilets jaunes in France, but all the demands of the posters in this thread are quite reasonable.

Most compelling, there's no valid excuse for why the WTA staff CAN'T get this done because every other major pro sports organization--even the ATP within the very same sport--does significantly or even vastly better.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

https://www.tennisforum.com/81659921-post232.html

Not a Twitter 'storm', of course, yet more evidence that the fans here at TF are hardly the only ones who notice what a joke the WTA's fan outreach is, especially via the website.

My guess is that there was a tidal wave of complaints when the new site was made public, so the site manager simply buried/deleted them all and, after a while, fans just gave up when they saw that no improvements were being made. Since the WTA brass never SAW those complaints(and also because most tennis fans are the sit-down-and-be-quiet types who won't lodge strong complaints to WTA execs' faces), they just assumed that everything was okay:eek:

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I feel, they think, they have to be different from ATP, if ATP has only 3 event level (250/500/1000), WTA has to make 17 event levels, if ATP is dominated by 3 people, WTA has to be a 1+14 woman co-dominated chaos, so if ATP website is good, WTA website has to be bad.

·
Registered
50,542 Posts

Seriously who made this BAD highlights video ? :weirdo:
WTA should put the SPs/MP and BEST points who end with winners.
And not full with UEs. The worst WTA highlights video EVER. Embarrassing :help:

·
Registered
30,746 Posts

Typical example of WTA laziness/incompetence: in the ATP/WTA live app, the Palermo singles draw has still not been updated to reflect where qualifiers were placed and the doubles draw has not been posted at all. On Tuesday of this tournament :help:. That place is where I go to look at tournament draws, so this week I have not seen them until I finally went on the computer tonight.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Someone will have to warn them that there was a WTA tournament in Lausanne last week.:eek:

I'm not to greedy so I don't ask the speeches but at least post some final's highlights even bad ones as they used to just to act like they care about it.:help:

·
Premium Member
36,868 Posts

Someone will have to warn them that there was a WTA tournament in Lausanne last week.:eek:
There was a full article about the final between Ferro and Cornet last time I checked. I guess it's still there.

To post highlights instead of a full written article would mean they care more? ;)

41 - 60 of 181 Posts