Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously this isn't for Monica's fans:

Imagine US Open '04. It's Monica's last Slam, she's retiring immediately after it. She reaches the final and plays against your #1 fave. Who would you cheer for? Would you stick with your fave or you'd like Monica to go in style?

·
Banned
191 Posts
My fave.

·
Momomental
7,542 Posts
I love Monica and all but no way am I cheering against Amélie (ue's and all :p)

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Monica is one of my favorite players,
but I'd have to go with my baby girl.

Even if I rooted for Monica
she's 1-9 against my baby girl
and would most likely be beaten in two easy sets.

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
Lindsay is SIMPLY THE BEST, but I would go for Monica. Unless it was also Lindsay's last slam, then I'd go for her.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Difficult question. I think I'd take the point of view that a retiring Monica doesn't really "need" another Grand Slam, and the title would be more useful in the pocket of a young and active player. But if Seles was winning I wouldn't be annoyed - it would be a moment of tennis history in the making and I would be delighted to see it. In fact it would be a bit like the Ivanisevic-Rafter Wimbledon final for me - I badly wanted both players to win, knowing that they both deserved it and it might be their last chance in their careers. Most of my current faves are at the beginning or middle of their careers so there would always be other Slams, but even so, I don't think I could root against them if they got that close to winning one.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
youre "baby gurl" has enough titles and slams she doesnt need to win it...doesnt matter though cause if it ever did happen im Sure Serena would take it easy on "my idol" and give the slam to her...serena would be thinking "awww she is retirin' and im gonna win at least 20 more slams....what the hell?"

As for me if she faced Jennifer in the finals id root for either to win, and would be equally pleased if either one won! (remember 91' semi's in N.Y??? those where the days!)

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
I'd stick with Venus.

Besides, making a GS final IS 'going out in style'.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I love Monica too but would still have to go with Juju, sorry! Monica has made her huge mark on the game and will never be forgotten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.