Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus Williams played the same style of all-out, constant, relentless agressive attacking game that Martina Nav used to play???

That thought actually scares me.

I think Venus has the physical attributes (heigght, wingspan, athleticism etc) as well as the shots (heavy groundies and big serve) to be a lethal, dominant force on tour if she developed this style of game...

I guess the same could be said to a lesser degree for Serena, but with Venus's wingspan, and height, she'd almost be unpassable at the net.

Of course, to really develop this sort of game to the level Martina used to play, would mean a lot more practice and devotion to tennis, so its probably a pie-in-the-sky dream, but its a slow afternoon at work so dont hold it against me....:)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"I think Venus has the physical attributes (heigght, wingspan, athleticism etc) as well as the shots (heavy groundies and big serve) to be a lethal, dominant force on tour if she developed this style of game... "

I think I should have written MORE lethal and dominant.....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I see your point, but the press would have a field day if Martina was to coach Venus. Richard and Martina (and their respective fans) would be at each other's throats all the time....

I think Chris would be a great coach for Venus, though I'm not sure how she would go coaching Venus against Capriati or Hingis ;)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BCP - I wasnt suggesting Martina should coach Venus, Im just saying if Venus developed that style of play on her own.....

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I would enjoy More so seeing Martina Navratolova coach Alexandra Stevenson!!:)

Alex is beginning to really interest me with her game. She is attacking at the net more and wants to be a serve and volleyer. We just don't see that much anymore! Also with her one-hand backhand she can be deadly on grass!

Venus imho has already won Wimbeldon and with her kind of game and mental toughness she is fine already, but I would so enjoy Alex and Martina and coach and player. Hey didn't Martina Navratolova say one year that she was working with a player?? Hmm maybe it was Alex.. or maybe it was Venus. I do think she said that pre Wimby 2000.:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Sorry to sabotage your thread Czechfan.

Dawn Marie...AGREED:eek: :) I think that Alexandra would really benefit from Martina's experience. I don't think that Martina would put up with Samantha for very long unfortunately, esp in light of those lesbian allegations that Samantha took to the press a few years ago.... Good idea though........

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I disagree about Martina not putting up with Samatha. The press is moronic and I don't buy one bit that Samatha is THAT bad. Imho they may get along just fine. I don't buy into everything I read about tennis players and family. The press always say somebody doesnt like someone and we see those same people smiling and chatting amongst each other.

I would REALLY enjoy it if Martina would coach Alex.:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Wether we agree that samantha is that bad or not is a moot point. I would say the same thing for Melanie Molitor, Alla Kornikova, Damir Dokic, etc. Like Czech fan said in the other thread, it is impossible to coach someone who has been brainwashed into saying "My mom or my dad knows my game the best"........

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Maybe, but not impossible not at all. Alexandra would do wonders with Martina imho.:) It is the perfect match. Alexandra is getting her game developed and Martina knows that game.:)

·
25,388 Posts
Martina could help a Stevenson do much better IMO, because Alex plays an attacking game. However, getting Venus to play a more attacking style a la Navratilova would just mean more loses for Venus Czechfan.
It is 2002, the age of power tennis based on hard courts-not 1982, when 3 of 4 slams WERN'T on hard courts, placement still meant a lot, and racquets were different. I'm certainly NOT saying Venus , Davenport, Capriati are "better", but if Martina played today she would be forced to cut back on the serve and volley. Serve and volley, chip and charge tennis has gone(sadly) the way of the dinosaurs. Martina was it's greatest practicioner, but we've seen the last of the style with Novotna and Tauziat.

Look at it this way-even the men don't really serve and volley as they used to. Remember Martina's contemporary Edberg? Try finding his style around today on the men's tour.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Rollo I disagree, I think Serve and Volley can still hold it's own. Especially a player with a booming serve like Alex's or Venus's. If tauziat can hang in the top 10 with this kinda of field then ALex can do it. :)

I just have this good feeling about ALexandra lately. She is coming into her own:)

·
25,388 Posts
Tauziat wasn't winning slams Dawn. Not only that, but Natalie and Jana, even though they were called serve and volleyers, didn't do nearly as much of it as the women I remember from the 70's and 80's.

It's natural for Alex to play that way, it's her game. As for Venus, why fix what isn't broken,except for her numerous injuries? The problem is today's racquets not only give power to the server-they give even more power to the returner. It's fine if your serves aren't returned, but once a good reurn comes back the server is at more of a disadvantage these days than in the past. Serve and volley tennis was born out of the age of wood(raquets). If you've never palyed with wood Dawn, go out and try to rip service returns like you can with a modern metal raquet. You'll notice a difference.

Last point. Serve and volley tennis requires a solid first volley. Venus has a decent, but not great, traditional volley. Her forte is the swing volley, which is more of a finishing shot and is useless as a first volley after a serve. Shouls she serve and volley more? Sure, especially at Wimbledon. But there's no sense in changing her basic game.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Rollo I uderstand your points but I really think that If Alex were to play a game like Martina's that she can win slams especially wimbeldon. Venus and Serena can do it again too, as a serve and volley style that is. I just feel that way about that type of game. I can truley see Serena or Alex coming into the net on the kind of serves they posses.:)

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Keep in mind, Rollo, a strong serve is needed in order to be successful as possible with serve and volley. Nathalie Tauziat had a very flat serve. Girls like Alex, who have strong serves, would benefit from the serve and volley style.

·
25,388 Posts
Sure Vanity-there's no doubt of that-but again, the serve these days is more than countered by the return, especially in women's tennis. Don't get me wrong-I love to watch tennis where attacking the net is common. All I'm saying is it can't be done as regularly as it was in Martina's day. Navratilova used to come in on first and second serves, THEN she was coming in off opponents second serves. She wasn't going for aces as much(like Alex does) because the spin gave her time to get to the net for the volley. By the time Alex comes in off a cannonball it is either an ace, a fault, or the ball is often blown by her as the power is turned back at her. Most women have neither the speed nor the reach to deal with that kind of power off the return. If they did, women's tennis would be more like men's tennis, where the server holds 75% of the time.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I think if Venus develops an attacking game like Martina, she'll be as dominant as Martina, maybe just losing 1 match a year. ;) :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Martina will never coach Alex. Comments by Samantha about "certain players" in the locker room would've put an end to that idea. The best that Alex can hope for is to obtain one of Martina's old coaches like Craig Kardon, Mike Estep, or Billie Jean King. Oh wait, she's already run the ringer with Craig Kardon. I guess her choices are that much narrower now.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Rollo said:
It's natural for Alex to play that way, it's her game. As for Venus, why fix what isn't broken,except for her numerous injuries? The problem is today's racquets not only give power to the server-they give even more power to the returner. It's fine if your serves aren't returned, but once a good reurn comes back the server is at more of a disadvantage these days than in the past. Serve and volley tennis was born out of the age of wood(raquets). If you've never palyed with wood Dawn, go out and try to rip service returns like you can with a modern metal raquet. You'll notice a difference.

Last point. Serve and volley tennis requires a solid first volley. Venus has a decent, but not great, traditional volley. Her forte is the swing volley, which is more of a finishing shot and is useless as a first volley after a serve. Shouls she serve and volley more? Sure, especially at Wimbledon. But there's no sense in changing her basic game.
I agree that Venus' game should not be drastically altered. But to improve her 'decent' traditional volley would not be that much of an alteration. I think Czechfan is right about Venus opportunity to become more lethal by imitating Navr. and I do think Venus could pull it off.

Metal racquets do increase the server's and returner's power, but they don't allow most players to convert a booming first serve into a killer return. That would require either reflexes and coordination that are off the scale, or a whole lot of reliable luck. So if Venus booms a 130mph serve against her opponent, then that her opponent's going to send Venus something back that Venus can work with, if she sends anything back at all.

We've seen how Venus' speed, reach, agility and court sense shrinks her side of the court while her placement and power expands the side of her opponent--essentially turning the once rectangular tennis court into a great big triangle. Should Venus take on Navr's style, I'd be surprised if she ever lost a match.

·
25,388 Posts
The thing is Bright Red-no one these days has the tools to totally imitate Navratilova. For one thing, Martina chipped and charged off the backhand on return of serves. This requires a slice one handed backhand-which Venus doesn't have.I haven't seen Stevenson enough(isn't hers a one handed topspin?) but she could do that easier than Venus.

Your point about the serve is well taken-though I think Venus(or Davenport etc) is better off dealing with weak returns the way she does now: wait til it drops short and hit a winner off it. If you serve and volley-you commit yourself BEFORE seeing the quality of the return. Against 90% of the tour Venus could get away with serve and volley-but the odds go down IMO once your run up against the top 10.

BTW, Venus needs to learn how to win on slower surfaces, especially clay. A two time defending Wimbledon champ already has mastered faster surfaces. Copying Martina Navratilova will not help her on to a French title.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts