Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They're being held in New York City at the US Open site this year and the first round singles matches started yesterday. I'm in the Mens Open Doubles and Open Mixed Doubles. My first round Mens Doubles match is at 8:15 PM and the mixed doubles match will start no earlier than 9:15 PM. However, it's taking place right after whenever my Mens Doubles match gets finished, so I could take the court as late as 10:00 or 10:30 tonight.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and will probably add a couple of pictures as well. 700 people are playing in this in all the different divisions, so it should be a madhouse. Hopefully I get to play on the actual US Open courts and not the park courts adjacent to them!

If anyone wants to come down and go have a drink (or several, my next matches won't be till Friday night if I end up winning lol) afterwards, send me a PM ;)

-McCarton

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Like I said in another thread, there aren't enough words to describe how envious I am of you. Win if you can, lose if you must, but HAVE FUN! :bounce:

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
hey good luck...:) go kick someass ;)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
One more thing: if you lose, it's your partner's fault. ;)

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Hey how do you enroll in thischampionship??Whats criteria??Do you have to pay also??

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Mightymirza said:
Hey how do you enroll in thischampionship??Whats criteria??Do you have to pay also??
You have to be a USTA member ($35 for a one-year membership), and there is an entry fee for this and any USTA tournament. SOMEBODY'S got to pay for the NTC to stay open to the public. ;)

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Goood luck!. Hope the weather holds up for you today.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Best of luck! :wavey:

PS. In your trophey acceptance speech don't forget to mention WTAWorld MB! ;)

·
Registered
35,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I just got back from the tournament (yes, it's 3 in the morning here...I don't even want to talk about it). Way too tired to give a huge detailed report, so I'll just cover the basics.

-Went to watch my friend Olivia play in the womens singles and as she checked in with her opponent, the tournament director said "You two will be playing on Arthur Ashe Stadium." They both laughed. Then two men came to lead them to the court! They weren't kidding! So she actually got to play her 2nd round match on AAS. She got killed 6-3 6-0, but was just happy to play on the court. I jumped on after the match to take a few pictures of us (and one of me in the umpires chair lol), so I'll definitely post those soon!

-The tournament is really nice. We get to use the Players locker rooms and Players lounges that everybody in the US Open takes advantage of. Complimentary Mets tickets, a fashion show tonight...they really treat everybody in this tournament like royalty.

-My mens doubles match tonight was played in far less glamorous locale than Arhur Ashe Stadium...practice court 2. The mixed doubles match ended up going on court 4 though (one of the bigger outside courts), so I did end up getting to play one of the authentic courts. Won both of my matches by 6-0 6-4. I played well, although both matches had the same issue. We went up 6-0 2-0 in both of the matches and then sleepwalked through a game and lost it. Once our opponents got on the board, they relaxed and started picking up their games to make a match of it. I need to learn how to get on the people I'm playing and stay on them. All in all though, it was great just to move on to the quarters of both tournaments.

-However, the matches at this tournament were BACKED UP. My mens doubles match was supposed to go at 8:15 but didn't go until 9:40. My mixed doubles match was supposed to go on at 9:15, but didn't go on until MIDNIGHT. We finally clinched the match at 1:30 AM!

-Funny moment of the tournament: The TD announcing over the loudspeaker at blaring volume..."Mens 45 singles, Jerry BONER. Will Jerry BONER please come to the tournament desk! Mr. BONER to the front desk, please."

-My quarterfinal mixed match is at 1PM today and the quarterfinal mens doubles match is at 8PM. Hopefully it goes well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts