Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I wasn't a tennis fan at the time of the stabbing

Votes: 7 30.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many Seles fans were fans of hers before the stabbing and how many became fans afterwards?

·
Registered
25,256 Posts
hello SK, I don't know playing tennis but I knew that Graft was demonating at that time but I don't know her coz seems very cold, then later I knew that Monica was the no.1!! I admired her but still didn'[t follow tennis much. Then the terrible thing happened, I am a person who hates injustice, I began to like her more and more and after realised that she is such a kind person, I can't stop LOVING and worshipping her, she is such a great person :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Since 1988 :)

I have since met her three times (once for a 10 minute conversation!!) and have seen her in person over 10 times and she is just the sweetest, nicest, most down to earth celebrity that I could ever imagine. She is a gem and she treats her fans very well. When I became a fan in 1988, I had no idea that she was such a wonderful person.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i was attracted by her great grunting in 1990, when i became her die hard fan. i like her style of playing- attack, attack and attack.:D

·
Registered
752 Posts
I wasn't a Tennis fan (or sport fan) before but when I saw Monica play in the Peter International (now is the Addias Internation), she captured my heart with her beautiful smile. Then I started to watch some tennis then that is it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I was 12 when stabbing occur, and i did not watch tennis then, but I have vague image of seeing it on the news and the whole film of her being stab during the changeover is broadcast in the TV. I read her book later on and I do agree that scream when she was stabbed has a very prolong effect on her. I can still remember her scream when she was stabbed. I did not follow tennis until 1996, so I know more about it later on.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
What was she like before 1996???
I'm only 15 and didnt follow tennis. Did some people hate her(like the Williamses in the early days)!???

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Jippo McScally,

I dunno whether you have read the Monica book, but it pretty much sum up what it was like when she burst into the scene.
She was not popular at all, and she is so young that she dunno what impression she is giving to other players. At that time she is so dominating that the press has nothing to write about her tennis, and thereby focus on some rumours. There are three incident which stick to my mind written in her book.

In her debut French Open, she was schedule to play Zina Garrison in the third round, and before she stepped into the court, she was offer a bouquet of roses, when she stepped into the court she try to get rid of it so threw it into the crowd, zina was furious ( and rightfully so if she did not know what happen) and the whole thing got out of proportion.

There is a big fiasco on her skipping Wimbledon in 1990 I think (because of some injury) There were rumour that she was pregnant!!! or even that she collect a big windfall for not playing in Wimbledon

Of course, how can anyone forget the next year she return to Wimbledon and that Gruntometer thing, some tabloids measure her grunt as comparable as a jet and she was so upset that in the final she did not grunt and lose so badly to Steffi.

I think these three incidents pretty much said how Monica is appreciated at that time, and plus the fact when her tragedy occur, no one step up for her in maintaining her ranking or even stop that tournament where she was stabbed!!! (that tourney continue as Monica just treated as being withdrawn) I mean a lot of people at that time said that if it was Steffi who has been stabbed then her treatment will be so much different from the players.

But the best thing is that Monica gone through that and is the most appreciated player on the tour. I think when she burst into the scene she was just too young and naive in thinking before saying. Just a bit like the trash talk between Williams sisters and Martina two years ago, look at how matured they are now!!!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I always liked Monica because of her grunt i used to copy it when i started playing at age 7!LOL!:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was a Seles- Fan before the stabbing.
She played for Yugoslavia then.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I fell in love with her and her style of play when she beat Chris Evert in the Final of the Virginia Slims of Houston --> the first time I'd ever heard or seen her.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sabatini was the only top-10 player who voted to freeze Monica's ranking at #1. gabby was truly a classy person.

·
63,517 Posts
I am huge fan of Tennis since only January 1999 :rolleyes:

I remember I saw front page in newspaper with The Stabbing of Monica Seles in 1993 but I don't read them because I was little boy.

So, I first saw her play against Jennifer Capriati at the US Open in 1999 on TV. I start fan of hers after I watch the match.

At the time, I was 14 years old, I don't know what does 'stabbing' means! I read Australia Tennis Magazine (January 1999) and I saw picture of Monica Seles at Hamburg in 1993. I thought she was confused that the crowd against her but I asked my mum for what does 'stabbing' means... after she tell me everything about what happened to Monica Seles and I was shock.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...interesting...

I was just curious, because Monica fans tend to (don't hate me for saying this!) stress their liking for her personality more than they stress their liking for her game.

Also, the pre-stabbing Monica was quite different to how she is now. Back then she was this fierce little Yugoslav with the power play and drive to win. Now, she's a loved veteran, the sentimental favourite and there are players on tour who hit harder than her.

For me, she's probably the most interesting personality on the tour because we've had a chance to see her develop. Possibly Navratilova is the only other player with an equally compelling personality.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I knew of Monica in 89, but only really became a fan in 91.

Before 93 Monica was fearless, fierce and extremely competitive. I think she lost a bit of that after her comeback. She also loved to colour her hair was into fashion, a very typical teenager. I guess everything I was too at that age.

"Now, she's a loved veteran, the sentimental favourite" ---> I liked the teenage Monica a tad better ;) I was also a teenager at that time and I really loved her because she was soo different and a little jealous or disliked by the others. I guess I identified with her more.

Now I don't identify with her that much, but still of course I love her play and wish great success in everything she does.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I became a fan of Monica in 91-92...Because I disliked totally Steffi Graf (who I find cold) and everybody (in France at least) disliked Monica. I like to defend the one who is disliked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts