Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times in the past few years have we heard that the women are so predictable because you always get the top seeds playing in the last week of a tournament?

How many times did we hear the virtue of "depth" extolled from the high heavens because the men's game is so unpredictable? Anyone in the top 100 can beat anyone else (or more honestly, anyone in the top 100 can lose to anyone else :eek: )

Now it turns out that the top 8 or so men are into the second week. All of a sudden it's a good thing that the top seeds make it deep into the tournament. :lol:

Did I miss something? :confused: :devil: :angel:

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
BigTennisFan said:
How many times in the past few years have we heard that the women are so predictable because you always get the top seeds playing in the last week of a tournament?

How many times did we hear the virtue of "depth" extolled from the high heavens because the men's game is so unpredictable? Anyone in the top 100 can beat anyone else (or more honestly, anyone in the top 100 can lose to anyone else :eek: )

Now it turns out that the top 8 or so men are into the second week. All of a sudden it's a good thing that the top seeds make it deep into the tournament. :lol:

Did I miss something? :confused: :devil: :angel:
I know what u sayin and it aint fair but as much as I luv me some WTA I gotta agree that ATP got more depth. When it come to the Slams ATP got mroe folk that can win it. Look at this year. Aint no one dude dominatin but for the WTA Miss Justine was the first brand new Slam winner in over 2 years. Miss Justine look like she gonna win the US Open so that mean the last 6 Slams was won by either Miss Rena or Miss Justine. That just aint happenin on the ATP cuz there are too many dangerous players out there.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I think you are missing something. Everyone says women's tennis has no depth because of the difference there is between the top players and everyone else. You won't see a Top ten skip more than five games (and that's a whoa) against someone ranked higher than 100. Most of the matches are not so entertaining (at least until QF)
On the other hand on men's tennis you see these whole loads of entertaining tennis in the first rounds (with no exception). Even the top seed has to battle his way into the QF and as the game is more competitive the matches are better. So that's the whole equation:

WTA Top seeds + easy matches = boring tennis (predictable)

ATP Top seeds + competitive matches = entertaining tennis (not so predictable)

Joaco

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
joaco said:
I think you are missing something. Everyone says women's tennis has no depth because of the difference there is between the top players and everyone else. You won't see a Top ten skip more than five games (and that's a whoa) against someone ranked higher than 100. Most of the matches are not so entertaining (at least until QF)
On the other hand on men's tennis you see these whole loads of entertaining tennis in the first rounds (with no exception). Even the top seed has to battle his way into the QF and as the game is more competitive the matches are better. So that's the whole equation:

WTA Top seeds + easy matches = boring tennis (predictable)

ATP Top seeds + competitive matches = entertaining tennis (not so predictable)

Joaco
I feel u on that! :worship: Like I luv me some WTA but the kinda matches like we seen for the top dudes just aint happenin to the ladies. I think Miss Aniko and Miss Emilie was the only one who gave the top seeds a test in the first week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.