Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to be spelled that way??? can you explain!!

·
Registered
115,305 Posts
There's a thread about this in Russian Roulette.
Vera, her mom, calls her Elena.
But we still choose to call her Alyona as a fond nickname.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you didn't answer my questions though.. are the other Elenas common nick name supposed to be Alyona also in RUssia??

·
Registered
115,305 Posts
fresh2flash heard Elena D. call Elena L. and Elena B. Alyona.
So he called Elena D. Alyona. And it stuck.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
no, it doesn't have to be Alyona, although some girls do prefer Alyona... Basically, it's a matter of preference. I do know though that Elena D. call herself Lena. (not Elena or Alyona)

it's like here: Robert, but you can also call him Bob, William - Bill, Michael -mIKE...

·
Registered
115,305 Posts
I'm glad you took over.
So it's definately Lena, not Elena?

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Elena is an official way, Lena is non-official. Alyona could be both.

Elena D. often screams to herself when she makes a bad shot: "Lena!!!"

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
"Alyona" is very cozy, very loving way of putting this name. You won't name someone that way if you have no personal sympathy. It's a name from Russian fairy tales..

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
actually, my teacher in high school was Alyona Vladimirovna... nobody liked her, but we had to call her Alyona.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
tenn_ace said:
actually, my teacher in high school was Alyona Vladimirovna... nobody liked her, but we had to call her Alyona.
Yes, if a person calls herself that way and treats it as a full, rather than diminuative name, there is nothing you can do..

·
Banned
31 Posts
It's basically just a way to separate all the Elena's.

Bovina and Dementieva refer to themselves as Lena.

Bovina says her full name is Elena... and I don't know about Dementieva.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Actually Alyona is a full name just like Elena... Usually Elenas prefer to be called Lena or Elena and Alyonas prefer to be called Alyona. I think why some Elenas are called Alyona is because of religion rules...
Sorry I don't really know how our religion is called in English...Is it Christian as well??
The thing is that when the child is given name in church Elenas recieve a name Alyona 'cos there is no Christian name Elena. (Alyona is the closest Christian name to Elena).
The same is thing is for example with the name Victoria...There are a lot of Victorias in Russian, but their Christian name is Nika (which has the same meaning), but nobody calls them Nika.

Reactions: Bella

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
wow thank you for that in depth explaination! it was very insightful.
much appreciated Lady

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
In the Ladies Kremlin Cup draw, I saw Elena Likhovtseva's name listed as Yelena Likhovtseva.

Yelena Likhovtseva? Yelena Bovina? Yelena Dementieva?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts