Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and the straw that made me flip off on this topic was the big assuming Vakulenko -had- to be injured so that Olaru could have beat her, like she was some challenger level player who qualified by luck.

After Fed Cup, she has a record of 20 wins 2 losses (20-2) all on red clay. Those are:

- 50K$ title in Spain (lost one single set the whole tournament)
- 25K$ final in Turkey (info below)
- WTA Fes semifinais in Morocco (with qualifying)
- Roland Garros 3rd Round (so far, with qualifying)

Her 2 losses on her 22 matches:

- 25K$ final, against Daria Kustava 6-3 2-6 6-3:
After 10 matches on 2 weeks, spanning through 2 different continents, physical breakdown.
Before that, on her 4 tournament matches there, she lost a total of 10 (!) service games. That makes an average of 2.5 games per match lost.

- WTA Fes semifinal, against Milagros Sequera 0-6 6-2 7-6(5):
Sequera won the match mentally. Olaru started with a bagel, then tanked mentally. Came back to lead 3-0 on the second set, tanked again. When she found herself in the middle of the tiebreak (she was down 5-0 on it) it was too late already.

There's also a loss, 6-4 6-3 to Jelena Jankovic on Fed Cup. I'd say a one-break-each-set loss to a top 5 player with the Tier I Rome title is pretty good, no? Few players could do that.

Some wins on clay;

d. Schnyder 4-6 6-2 6-4 (Fed Cup)
d. Kudryavtseva 7-5 6-4 (Fes 1st Round - Kudryavtseva qualifed for Roland Garros and is also on the 3rd Round)
d. Petkovic 6-4 5-7 6-4 (50K$ Final - Petkovic qualified for both Berlin and Roland Garros, where she lost a tough 2nd Round)
d. Errani 6-2 6-4 (RG Q 1st Round - Errani defeated Bammer, Kanepi, Gagliardi and Garbin on clay this year already)
d. Wozniacki 6-4 6-4 (Fes QF)
d. Poutchek 6-3 6-0 (RG 2nd Round)
d. Marrero 6-0 6-0 (50K$ 2nd Round)
d. Ferguson 6-0 6-0 (25K$ QF)

A little disclaimer:

- No, I don't mean Olaru should have beaten Vakulenko with those results. I'm just saying the surprise isn't that big and Vakulenko did NOT have to be injured for it to happen. Actually, I keep hearing Julia wasn't injured from people who were there.

- No, I don't think Olaru will beat Ivanovic. But at least I -hope- she'll make Ana work, like she did to Jelena last time. I know my face will be rubbed if she gets thrashed by Ana, even though that wouldn't erase all Olaru has done so far.

- No, I don't mean to belittle the players shown here. They're very good players on their own rights. I'm just showing that Olaru is good because she beat them.

- I guess most replies will have to be redirected to the 3 lines I wrote above.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
... and the straw that made me flip off on this topic was the big assuming Vakulenko -had- to be injured so that Olaru could have beat her, like she was some challenger level player who qualified by luck.

After Fed Cup, she has a record of 20 wins 2 losses (20-2) all on red clay. Those are:

- 50K$ title in Spain (lost one single set the whole tournament)
- 25K$ final in Turkey (info below)
- WTA Fes semifinais in Morocco (with qualifying)
- Roland Garros 3rd Round (so far, with qualifying)

Her 2 losses on her 22 matches:

- 25K$ final, against Daria Kustava 6-3 2-6 6-3:
After 10 matches on 2 weeks, spanning through 2 different continents, physical breakdown.
Before that, on her 4 tournament matches there, she lost a total of 10 (!) service games. That makes an average of 2.5 games per match lost.

- WTA Fes semifinal, against Milagros Sequera 0-6 6-2 7-6(5):
Sequera won the match mentally. Olaru started with a bagel, then tanked mentally. Came back to lead 3-0 on the second set, tanked again. When she found herself in the middle of the tiebreak (she was down 5-0 on it) it was too late already.

There's also a loss, 6-4 6-3 to Jelena Jankovic on Fed Cup. I'd say a one-break-each-set loss to a top 5 player with the Tier I Rome title is pretty good, no? Few players could do that.

Some wins on clay;

d. Schnyder 4-6 6-2 6-4 (Fed Cup)
d. Kudryavtseva 7-5 6-4 (Fes 1st Round - Kudryavtseva qualifed for Roland Garros and is also on the 3rd Round)
d. Petkovic 6-4 5-7 6-4 (50K$ Final - Petkovic qualified for both Berlin and Roland Garros, where she lost a tough 2nd Round)
d. Errani 6-2 6-4 (RG Q 1st Round - Errani defeated Bammer, Kanepi, Gagliardi and Garbin on clay this year already)
d. Wozniacki 6-4 6-4 (Fes QF)
d. Poutchek 6-3 6-0 (RG 2nd Round)
d. Marrero 6-0 6-0 (50K$ 2nd Round)
d. Ferguson 6-0 6-0 (25K$ QF)

A little disclaimer:

- No, I don't mean Olaru should have beaten Vakulenko with those results. I'm just saying the surprise isn't that big and Vakulenko did NOT have to be injured for it to happen. Actually, I keep hearing Julia wasn't injured from people who were there.

- No, I don't think Olaru will beat Ivanovic. But at least I -hope- she'll make Ana work, like she did to Jelena last time. I know my face will be rubbed if she gets thrashed by Ana, even though that wouldn't erase all Olaru has done so far.

- No, I don't mean to belittle the players shown here. They're very good players on their own rights. I'm just showing that Olaru is good because she beat them.

- I guess most replies will have to be redirected to the 3 lines I wrote above.
:worship: :D

I haven't heard much from others on Olaru in terms of her match vs Vakulenko. Which topic?

Other than that, I agree. There should be credit to the player who won and people shouldn't automatically assume that Julia was injured to lose to someone they've never heard of before.

·
Registered
242 Posts
she is a good player and very friendly... but she was lucky with the day julia vakulenko had.. she was acting all the way the fallen top player and she was smacking the ball in the net and the fence and not running to very bad drop shots by iona. and after a miss she was smiling like.. how can i miss this one i am the great julia vakulenko.. but i said to my parents and gf that olaru will be top 30 in a year :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
11,195 Posts
Ana Takes her tennis seriously......she is in hot form so far.....

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yeah, she is not getting credit for her good form. But I don't think it's going to hurt her. She has taken the sensible path (all those challenger wins are better practise than WCs into maindraws and 1st round or 2nd round losses, better for fitness and confidence) and it's going to pay off for her.

Reactions: tennismaster8820

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
The thing is, alot of people around here don't follow juniors and or challengers, so know shit about which players are coming up the rankings. ;)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thing is, alot of people around here don't follow juniors and or challengers, so know shit about which players are coming up the rankings. ;)
;) As usual.

You just couldn't pass this chance, could you. :p

Well, I watched her against Poutchek after I created this thread and she was even better than I expected. She wasn't anything close to that against Ivanovic... you can't really ask a debutant to be regular against top players though. I'm still really happy with her progress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts