Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
18,308 Posts
Hope Ostrava will be full of Polish fans to cheer her up. Actually the date of the tournament is during my annual leave and I booked my flight abroad so I will miss watching her live this time.

But it will be better for her as the last time I saw her play live was this ITF match against Trevisan where she twisted her ankle badly xD

·
Registered
18,308 Posts
I think if Iga goes back to Europe after Indian Wells, she might play Courmayeur for training purposes - to adjust to high elevation of Guadalajara YEC (provided she qualifies :p ). So Ostrava, Indian Wells and Courmayeur would be a reasonable schedule.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think if Iga goes back to Europe after Indian Wells, she might play Courmayeur for training purposes - to adjust to high elevation of Guadalajara YEC (provided she qualifies :p ). So Ostrava, Indian Wells and Courmayeur would be a reasonable schedule.
Sounds reasonably. But I'm afraid that Iga won't be the only potential participant of the WTA Finals who'd like to make use of Courmayeur's altitude. And a WTA 250 tournament is not allowed to accept more than one Top 10 player in their start list. Top 10 player is now defined as a player located within top 10 of the ranking on the tournament's entry deadline, so most of the Finals contestants will fall within this category. A tournament can rise the number of Top 10 players allowed by rising their prize money by $250K per player. So, to make room for, say, four WTA Finals participants that are also Top 10, the Courmayeur tournament would have to rise their prize money from $235K to almost one million. Can they afford?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sounds reasonable. But I'm afraid that Iga won't be the only potential participant of the WTA Finals who'd like to make use of Courmayeur's altitude. And a WTA 250 tournament is not allowed to accept more than one Top 10 player in their start list. Top 10 player is now defined as a player located within top 10 of the ranking on the tournament's entry deadline, so most of the Finals contestants will fall within this category. A tournament can rise the number of Top 10 players allowed by rising their prize money by $250K per player. So, to make room for, say, four WTA Finals participants that are also Top 10, the Courmayeur tournament would have to rise their prize money from $235K to almost one million. Can they afford?
Iga may not be a top10 player after Indian Wells tho. Her RG 2020 points will drop.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Iga may not be a top10 player after Indian Wells tho. Her RG 2020 points will drop.
We are talking about players that are within top 10 of the ranking on tournament's entry deadline. It's usually defined as 6 weeks prior to the start of the MD. For this autumn this term may have been shortened, but I don't think it can shrink to one week.
Besides, if Iga falls out of top 10 on Oct. 18, she will probably be off Race's top 8 as well, as on Oct. 18 the ranking and the Race list will be almost identical.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We are talking about players that are within top 10 of the ranking on tournament's entry deadline. It's usually defined as 6 weeks prior to the start of the MD. For this autumn this term may have been shortened, but I don't think it can shrink to one week.
Besides, if Iga falls out of top 10 on Oct. 18, she will probably be off Race's top 8 as well, as on Oct. 18 the ranking and the Race list will be almost identical.
Not at all!
Her 1400+ point loss in ranking will be significant to drop her at least 10 places, but not in race.
She is 5th in race and with one good showing she'll guarantee WTA finals.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Her 1400+ point loss in ranking will be significant to drop her at least 10 places, but not in race.
She is 5th in race and with one good showing she'll guarantee WTA finals.
The gap between Iga's ranking and Race points now is 1650. These are points Iga earned in 2020 or even 2019 (IW 2019 qualies). Most of them (1590, if not all) will drop off by November 8. But Iga's rivals are in a similar position. Their current ranking points comprise points earned in 2019/2020, most of which will be removed by November 8. Only points from tournaments included in the “Better of 2020/2021” system will continue in 2022. It's a group of tourneys that were held between January & March 2020 - I don't know which exactly tournaments are included, but it's not a large portion of points, I believe.

So a player's ranking on Nov. 8 will take into account her 2021 points and those from "better of" 2020 tournaments. As the latter are not many, the difference between the ranking and final Race classification shouldn't be large. That's why I believe that if Iga keeps her position within Race's top 8, she'll also find herself in the ranking's top 10.

Please read the announcement WTA issued on Sept. 4:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Iga and Hubert may play in a Poland and Czech Republic tournament be played in Zielona Góra on December 10-11.

"The Czech team will come to Zielona Góra to play against the Polish team. The guest team will include Petra Kvitova, Marketa Vondrousova, Katerina Siniakova, Jiri Vesely and Lukas Rosol"
"Soon we will know the composition of the Polish national team. The participation of Łukasz Kubot is certain. It is possible that Iga Świątek and Hubert Hurkacz will also appear in Zielona Góra."

Though last year Iga was getting some sun and warmth in Tenerife around that time.
Maybe she should do the same type of December training camp/holiday again to help acclimatise to AO2022

·
Registered
370 Posts
The gap between Iga's ranking and Race points now is 1650. These are points Iga earned in 2020 or even 2019 (IW 2019 qualies). Most of them (1590, if not all) will drop off by November 8. But Iga's rivals are in a similar position. Their current ranking points comprise points earned in 2019/2020, most of which will be removed by November 8. Only points from tournaments included in the “Better of 2020/2021” system will continue in 2022. It's a group of tourneys that were held between January & March 2020 - I don't know which exactly tournaments are included, but it's not a large portion of points, I believe.

So a player's ranking on Nov. 8 will take into account her 2021 points and those from "better of" 2020 tournaments. As the latter are not many, the difference between the ranking and final Race classification shouldn't be large. That's why I believe that if Iga keeps her position within Race's top 8, she'll also find herself in the ranking's top 10.

Please read the announcement WTA issued on Sept. 4:
None of that effects her race position, and like I said, she only needs one good showing to qualify for YEC

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Iga and Hubert may play in a Poland and Czech Republic tournament be played in Zielona Góra on December 10-11.

"The Czech team will come to Zielona Góra to play against the Polish team. The guest team will include Petra Kvitova, Marketa Vondrousova, Katerina Siniakova, Jiri Vesely and Lukas Rosol"
"Soon we will know the composition of the Polish national team. The participation of Łukasz Kubot is certain. It is possible that Iga Świątek and Hubert Hurkacz will also appear in Zielona Góra."

Though last year Iga was getting some sun and warmth in Tenerife around that time.
Maybe she should do the same type of December training camp/holiday again to help acclimatise to AO2022
Im not really a fan of these exhibitions in the off-season.

The off-season is the time when a player should:
A) rest and recharge batteries;
B) work on the major issues to improve in her tennis.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts