Tennis Forum banner
3781 - 3800 of 3816 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think none of us will know the reason unless you are a part of Iga’s team.

I just had a hunch she’d withdraw… no reason to argue about it methinks.
I am very tolerant of Iga's skipping starts. I always remember about her fragile ankles. She is justified to play less tournaments than other players, especially on hard courts.

·
Registered
18,275 Posts
Iga first of all cares for her mental health. All the covid bubbles do not help her to maintain that so therefore she needs to take a reset after mentally stressful event.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's good that she takes break when she feels that she needs it, she's just starting her career in an horrible condition(Covid) .
She already confirmed after her slam with 2 others titles and the 2nd week in the 3 slams,she is 4th in WTA race, that's already a very good year, 1 other good run and it will be an excellent year.
Yes, this. Since Rome she has had a lot of pressure to carry - could she defend RG, could she perform on grass, could she justify her position/ranking? Plus some self-imposed pressure at the Olympics. It has been a much tougher year emotionally than last year, which was just 'let's see how I get on'. As you say, a good run somewhere between now and the end of the year and it will have been an excellent year.

EDIT: I think the main target should be to get to the 4th round of the USO. That would show tremendous consistency over the year and Iga has said one of her main targets is be consistent. Anything more than that will be a bonus. 4th round of every slam, a 500 and an M1000 in your first full year on the tour is a great start to a career, never mind having a slam already under your belt.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just imagine, Iga playing on Iga stadium. Cool!
I think she made a BIG mistake to skip Montreal.
Most top players in the past skipped Cincy, if anything.
I'm sure Iga will come to Canada in the next years. 🤞

·
Registered
805 Posts
Iga will move up to #7 in the rankings, as Bianca loses 900 points.

But the way I read it, if
Andreescu, Muguruza, Kvitová, Halep, Brady or Azarenka
pick up a 900 point win at Montreal, Iga will drop in the #7 ranking.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
I guess the stadium sponsor is disappointed Iga is not playing on IGA Stadium, the centre court at Montreal.
IGA here stands for Independent Grocers' Alliance (an American concept of a network of independent retailers which came to New Zealand in 1955 and lasted for about 20 years, but is still going strong in many other countries).

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Yes, we have them in Australia too.
I have an IGA supermarket in my suburb.
I remember someone tweeted a photo of an IGA supermarket bakery when Iga handed out a breadstick or bagel once.
View attachment 195935
I've seen them when I've visited the West Island. :love: They didn't actually get organised in Australia until a lot later than in New Zealand, and the logo is a bit different as well. We used to do all our shopping at the IGA store nearest our home back in the 60s.

·
Registered
18,275 Posts
Just checked and WTA Tenerife will be played on the venue where Iga had had her prepararions before 2021 and she loved the place. So let's see if she plays (if she is qualified to YEC by then or she makes it far in Indian Wells she probably will not)

·
Registered
805 Posts
WTA Tenerife will be played on the venue where Iga had had her prepararions before 2021 and she loved the place.
It would be good to see her play there.
I think they said it is important to play places where she is comfortable and familiar.
I well remember how happy she seemed there, going from
"😶Seriously missing sunshine and playing outdoors😶" in Warsaw

To Sunny Tenerife in December

The locations of
November 1 WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai, China
November 8 WTA Finals Shenzhen, China
are still undecided I think, but she will qualify for one (Rank 1-19).
Hopefully finals of course, and that would be 2 weeks after the Tenerife tournament.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm sure Iga will come to Canada in the next years. 🤞
The thing is this year field is weak, and Iga would have a very good chance to go deep.
Cincy field would be stronger.
Besides, if she is tired, why bother with doubles in Cincy?
After Mtl, Cincy and USO, after that there is a month till IW.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Whatever happened, wasn't very serious since she was up and running reaching R4 AO few months later.
But she lost the entire 2019 Asian swing. She pays for it till now for the covid ranking amendments allow to still include points then earned and - if these amendments aren't revoked - will include them till autumn 2022.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The thing is this year field is weak, and Iga would have a very good chance to go deep.
Cincy field would be stronger.
Besides, if she is tired, why bother with doubles in Cincy?
After Mtl, Cincy and USO, after that there is a month till IW.
Iga is set to play two 500s. I doubt she will actually play both of them unless she will get caught by other players in Race which might happen because you can already see that top4-top12 will be goddamn stacked with very minimal differences and one or two bad tournaments can destroy your chances to qualify.

I hope she will play at least one 500, preferably Ostrava so i can watch her live :D

3781 - 3800 of 3816 Posts