·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Oh no :sad: :help:

This doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Shame, it has to be something very recent, because I've seen video from her latest training this week :sad:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are speculations from insiders that there may be other reasons, exam year in high school included, so I guess it's good news health-wise if true.

Anyway, her debut season on WTA was excellent, moving from #175 to #60 (and to top 50 at one point) playing just 15 events, grinding through qualis, and still never receiving a single WC.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
players subforum
:rolleyes:

This is not some trivia about her doggie getting its new collar with blue crystals or some other fluff. And Iga isn't some 500+ ranked scrub either.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Shame, she was putting together such a solid season and really had a shot at ending the year top 50.

Oh well, at least this means she'll have no points to defend this time next year and that could only be a positive for her if she keeps this steady progression up the rankings.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Iga kind of got her ass handed to her by NastySevasty at the end of their USO 2R match (i was there) and it definitely pissed her off, she wanted a bigger showing. I think maybe she and her people just decided to end the season a bit early and have a period of reassessment heading into '020, when the expectations are obviously going to be quite high.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
there are speculations from insiders that there may be other reasons, exam year in high school included, so I guess it's good news health-wise if true.

Anyway, her debut season on WTA was excellent, moving from #175 to #60 (and to top 50 at one point) playing just 15 events, grinding through qualis, and still never receiving a single WC.
The powers that be don’t want the players from “smaller” tennis nations to get wildcards like the Americans and other bigger profile nations/players get...

Same thing happened to Bianca. She only ever got a WC to the Citi Open in 2017, which I’m sure was a trade for Rogers Cup the week after, and Indian Wells which she earned by winning the Oracle 125 challenger in Newport Beach...

Sometimes these gifted players have to fight their own battles to get anywhere and likely that’s what will keep them at the top...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

Her bestie Juvan hasn't played since Wimbledon and gave the reason as school. Why would Iga say injury, if it's just school?

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
I think she overexert herself on hardcourts this year. She's not used to that

·
Registered
7,857 Posts

The powers that be don’t want the players from “smaller” tennis nations to get wildcards like the Americans and other bigger profile nations/players get...

Same thing happened to Bianca. She only ever got a WC to the Citi Open in 2017, which I’m sure was a trade for Rogers Cup the week after, and Indian Wells which she earned by winning the Oracle 125 challenger in Newport Beach...

Sometimes these gifted players have to fight their own battles to get anywhere and likely that’s what will keep them at the top...
Iga got a wild card into Auckland qualifying - it was the first one she had ever received at WTA level. I watched all her matches and was lucky enough to meet and spend a few minutes with her after one of them. Bianca also came through qualifying at Auckland to finish runner-up, but I can't remember if she got a wild card or qualified directly.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Iga got a wild card into Auckland qualifying - it was the first one she had ever received at WTA level. I watched all her matches and was lucky enough to meet and spend a few minutes with her after one of them. Bianca also came through qualifying at Auckland to finish runner-up, but I can't remember if she got a wild card or qualified directly.
Are you sure she got a QWC into Auckland? Wikipedia obviously isn't concrete fact, but they show the 4 QWCs as Hourigan, Ventura, Ivanov and Routliffe, all Kiwi's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_ASB_Classic_–_Women's_Singles#Second_qualifier

Plus this site has her 176 ranking at the time, more than adequate to get in, with many players ranked below her also in qualifying:

WTA Entry List: 31 Dicembre 2018 - 6 Gennaio 2019

Unless she was initially awarded one, but then it wasn't needed or something?

She was also given a MDWC into Wimbledon, which also goes against Honalee's statement that smaller nation players don't get offered them. As it turned out, Iga didn't need her WC as Wimbledon handed 5 back, but she was the 5th alt, and only 3 withdrew before qualifying (CoCo V, Marakova and Andreescu), so her ranking normally wouldn't have been good enough, and had Wimbledon offered MDWCs to the likes of Watson, Swan, Dart, Lumsden, Jones, Raducanu, Dunne and Bains, then Iga would have had to have gone through qualifying, but by announcing her as a WC initially, Wimbledon made sure that she would definitely avoid qualifying.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
But back on the actual topic, whatever the reason (injury / school), I hope she comes back fresh in January, and continues her solid progress.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:unsure: Iga was DA into Auckland qualis

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Are you sure she got a QWC into Auckland? Wikipedia obviously isn't concrete fact, but they show the 4 QWCs as Hourigan, Ventura, Ivanov and Routliffe, all Kiwi's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_ASB_Classic_–_Women's_Singles#Second_qualifier

Plus this site has her 176 ranking at the time, more than adequate to get in, with many players ranked below her also in qualifying:

WTA Entry List: 31 Dicembre 2018 - 6 Gennaio 2019

Unless she was initially awarded one, but then it wasn't needed or something?
:unsure: Iga was DA into Auckland qualis
My apologies - I was sure that this had been announced because of her status as Wimbledon Junior Champion, and that maybe her ranking jumped enough between the original announcement and the actual closing date for entries that it wasn't needed. However, as with every other International tournament, it seems highly unlikely that a qualifying wild card would be awarded to a foreign player unless there were exceptional circumstances, so it's more likely I was just misremembering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts