Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 748 Posts

· Registered
Guwniara z Paletkom
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let’s use this thread to post anything regarding Iga’s AO 2023 - social media posts, interviews, press conferences, articles, schedules, YT videos etc. Here’s a post I saw on Twitter from Iga’s practice today:

· Registered
9,497 Posts

· Registered
Guwniara z Paletkom
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
10,827 Posts
Guys, do you have any RELIABLE info (players/ coaches/ commentators) about how the courts in Melbourne play (speed/ bounce)?

· Registered
Iga Swiatek 💪 New one: Linda Noskova 😀
155 Posts
Guys, do you have any RELIABLE info (players/ coaches/ commentators) about how the courts in Melbourne play (speed/ bounce)?
Speed is probably similar to US Open (i assume it is a little bit slower) and bounce is clearly much higher.
But weather is important too.

Balls are normal so that's good :)

· Registered
Guwniara z Paletkom
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speed is probably similar to US Open (i assume it is a little bit slower) and bounce is clearly much higher.

Supposedly it’s going to be hot there when the tournament starts. I think Iga will handle the heat better than the rest of the players.

· Registered
9,497 Posts

It will also matter if Iga plays in day or night conditions during the first week.

· Registered
10,827 Posts

Supposedly it’s going to be hot there when the tournament starts. I think Iga will handle the heat better than the rest of the players.
It will also matter if Iga plays in day or night conditions during the first week.
One thing I pray for is NO RAIN and NO INDOORS. Indoor conditions is when Iga is the most vulnerable. Last year she lost to Collins under the roof, same vs Pegula in Sydney. The rest - she will handle just fine IMO.

· Registered
9,497 Posts
One thing I pray for is NO RAIN and NO INDOORS. Indoor conditions is when Iga is the most vulnerable. Last year she lost to Collins under the roof, same vs Pegula in Sydney. The rest - she will handle just fine IMO.
Last year you said Iga lost because she was exhausted from the three-hour battle against Kanepi in the heat the day before. I'm fairly sure the indoor conditions at AO had little to do with Iga's loss against Collins. Same when she lost to Jessie at UC.

· Registered
10,827 Posts
Last year you said Iga lost because she was exhausted from the three-hour battle against Kanepi in the heat the day before. I'm fairly sure the indoor conditions at AO had little to do with Iga's loss against Collins. Same when she lost to Jessie at UC.
I think it was a combination of factors. Definitely heat + fatigue + little time to rest played huge role. But indoors added to the equation IMO. Indoors makes the ball travel faster and bounce lower - perfect for Collins' aggressive ROS game.

It's likely Iga would have also lost if this match was played outdoors but maybe the scoreline would have been closer.

Anyway, I think it's rather obvious indoors is not Iga's preferred playing conditions.

As for fatigue/ little time to rest I hope the situation from last year will not happen again because Iga, as world no1 and the top seed, shouldn't get unfavourable scheduling.

· Registered
Iga Swiatek 💪 New one: Linda Noskova 😀
155 Posts
I have no quotes but i assume it will be medium fast and medium bounce like usual.
And like always they can change a little bit pace of courts.
"Australian Open resurface their courts every year and attempt to tweak the mixture used at that year’s tournament"
"In the end, to the extent that court speed can be controlled, it’s mostly a factor of how much grit the tournament organizers decide to put in the top layer mixture when the courts are resurfaced. And there’s also always a certain amount of variance from what they intended. Further, the speed of the balls, which also can be adjusted year to year, is a bit of a boogeyman. As is the effect of the weather in a given year."

1 - 20 of 748 Posts