Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html

In particular, see Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario. There's plenty to choose from -- she was six times in the finals at Roland Garros between 1989 and 1998, winning three of them. Watch her speed, guile, court craft and above all, her indomitable spirit. You'll see why she was one of the most popular players ever to grace the courts, and she wrote the book on retrieving. I cannot understand why so few seem to remember her in debates about the past. After all, only Graf, Evert, Navratilova and Wade won more career matches.

Also, see how Martina Navratilova brought serve-and-volley to the clay courts; her physical presence, those strategic slices as a precursor to a net assault.

See the might of Graf's forehand, her gazelle-like speed, and, contrary to popular belief, the accomplished topspin backhand she possessed at critical moments. In particular, watch the 1996 French final (an epic in which she ground out Sanchez 10-8 in the final set, after over three hours) and her first, in 1987, when she proved herself as the world no.1 in winning her first grandslam title.

Watch not only the greatest clay court player of all time, but she with the best passing shots in the history of women's tennis - Chris Evert. Some of those were just breathtaking.

And last but not least, watch the caged monster that was Monica Seles in her prime.

I'm sorry....but watching these clips just confirms to me that the game on the women's side has not advanced, but has actually receded.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
thank you for the link

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
always hate talk about 'how good the old days were'. was watching tennis for about 15 years and yes tennis was good then, but people have short term memories and forget all the bad stuff.

no depth back then, the players in the top 8-20 couldnt challenge the top and upsets were so rare because of the lack of depth.

boring first weeks at every slam, most of the top girls would win 6-1,6-2 and be off the court in less than an hour

maybe there was more strategy back then but there was also more moonballs, powerpuff serves, and boring matches

i'm not saying anything about any of the greats that you mentioned, they were all the exceptions. just too bad that the rest of the tour was a big joke back then. but those clips are wonderful. love some things about back then, but not everything.

Reactions: dearplastic

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,212 Posts
Don´t worry, Arantxa will be still considered as a no one player if you put her today against this "greater" new era of tennis and against the "GOATS".

Still thanks for the links i definetly enjoy watching old matches quite a lot.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
always hate talk about 'how good the old days were'. was watching tennis for about 15 years and yes tennis was good then, but people have short term memories and forget all the bad stuff.

no depth back then, the players in the top 8-20 couldnt challenge the top and upsets were so rare because of the lack of depth.

boring first weeks at every slam, most of the top girls would win 6-1,6-2 and be off the court in less than an hour

maybe there was more strategy back then but there was also more moonballs, powerpuff serves, and boring matches

i'm not saying anything about any of the greats that you mentioned, they were all the exceptions. just too bad that the rest of the tour was a big joke back then. but those clips are wonderful. love some things about back then, but not everything.
This is true. Rarely did the top players get pushed. But that's why it was exciting at the same time. You knew the top girls would reach the QF, SF, F, so the match up's everyone wanted to see happened. It made tennis so popular because fans LOVE a good rivalry, and when the top players continue to face off against each other in the QF's, SF's and F's of every major, it made for good tennis. 98, 99, 00, 01 were great for this. Even 02 and 03. 03 saw the emergence for the good four Venus, Serena, Justine and Kim. 2 of the 4 slams had those 4 in the semis. Its what the media, the fans, and the tournament wanted.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

But these days the reason the likes of Jankovic and Kuznetsova are two of the favourites for slams is almost by default: the other women are not competitive enough. That is no indication of depth. As much as I'm an admirer of Sveta's physique, nobody can watch her matches and claim that she's a great hitter of the ball. She's not awful, but she leaves a lot to be desired. And was anybody touting Jankovic as a huge prospect a year ago, or even two years ago when the general consensus was that she was top 15 material at best? Kim Clijsters retires at 23; Davenport could never be bothered with clay at any rate; Mauresmo may be in terminal decline; Sharapova has already shown her limitations; Serena and Venus are rarely fully focused and cannot stay injury-free; Justine does not possess the health to carry the tour on her shoulders; Ivanovic is a cheap Lindsay Davenport; Vaidisova doesn't seem to have the killer instinct; Shahar Peer is a poor man's Clijsters; Nadia Petrova is probably on the way down, as is Elena Dementieva; there are serious doubts over Myskina's future; lastly, there are no prodigious juniors pushing up the rankings.

Wow.

·
Art & Futures
20,922 Posts
Sanchez had some good anticipation. just like jelena if u know what i mean ;)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
thanks for the link!
Supergrunt, your remark was unnecessary.

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
Aranxta :hearts:

Mary :hearts:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It's interesting to see this thread, as I spent some time watching it all yesterday.:yeah: Not a Steffi fan but her footwork and shotmaking was just awesome. Monica reminded me why I miss her so much, and Agassi and his flambouyancy was hilarious. Chris just staged the court like the little sexpot/darling she knew she was. :eek: :devil:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
You listed only the top players from each past generation to support your argument that tennis was better "back then."

Why don't you name the 1000s of players who regularly served in the 50 mph range, and would lose 6-0 6-0 to Graf (sometimes in Grand slam finals)?

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You listed only the top players from each past generation to support your argument that tennis was better "back then."

Why don't you name the 1000s of players who regularly served in the 50 mph range, and would lose 6-0 6-0 to Graf (sometimes in Grand slam finals)?
Well all I can say is at least they competed rather than retired with a sore toe nail, as is very much in vogue in today's 'competition'.

And to be honest, if players took a little power out of their 'strokes' and served a little slower, there would be fewer injuries, less fatigue, more prestigious fields, no premature retirements and most of all, BETTER TENNIS. You can see in all of those excerpts that there was plenty of power hitting. So there was still velocity and frantic scrambling, but there were multiple layers to matches. About the only other dimension Sharaposer brings is her dress and that contrived howl. As least Monica's was natural.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Womens tennis has come on leaps and bounds since then..there was no depth and skill has increased dramatically along with power consistency and athleticism.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts