Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Sociology class this afternoon the professor got us talking about teenage girls and birth control. She went around the room asking us that if we were parents today would we put our teenage daughters on the pill with their consent or just hope thye use protection when they had sex. I was like WHOA and I got all tongue tied and stuff and couldn't really speak right. At the end I finally calmed down enough to decide that I'd hope they used condoms. What would you do if you had a teenage daughter right now?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If I had a teenage daughter, umm I would lock her up in her in the house until she is 25 years of age LOL. Then she can have kids or have sex with whoever she wants, but she shouldn't come crying home to me if she screws up big time. I mean I would help her anyway that I can, although I would be very disappointed.

Seriously though, I wouldn't know what to do until I become a parent. Most of it would have to be instinct, I guess.

Btw, I'm taking Sociology class too. I think it's a really interesting subject.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd have put her in a strict convent school at the age of six and she wouldn't get out until she was 21 and her marriage to a very rich older man had been arranged. On the night before her wedding, I would explain to her about sex, intercourse, loving and all that. And she would laugh like crazy and refuse to believe me.

Put them on the pill and also buy them condoms.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
oooh hey! i took a sociology class as well :D .. its quite interesting.. i am thinking of changing it to my major..

..as for ur question i would seriously talk to her about it.. and put her on birth control just in case i mean its better taking precautions rather than it being too late.. and i would also make sure she uses condoms as well..

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
LOL @ tia clara

Also, I don't think I could accept my daughter or son to be sleeping around at an early age, teenage years. I would be disgusted and I just wouldn't have piece of mind.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Nah coz if ya lock her up till shes a pre adult god youve wasted an important part of her life. I couldnt just stress enogugh for her to use condoms

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if I could put her on the pill because it would be so weird to me knowing kinda sorta that my daughter was having sex. Like I just wouldn't wanna know but I'd wanna be a good parent also.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
yeah but if u think about it u could be ignorant to the entire pill issue just because u give it to her and give her access to it doesn't mean she will have sex necessarily its more so a precaution.. because if u choose not to give her the pill and she ends up with a kid it could "ruin" ( and i use that word lighty because i know that a mother would never want to change the facts and they would love their kid no matter what) but their life.. i mean it could ruin their future and possibly damper the parent to with giving them a burden when its simple enough to say "take the pill and use condoms if and when u decide to have sex.. its as easy as that..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's totally better that she uses condoms or is on the pill or both. :)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,480 Posts
I think that it's important to teach your kids things early on in life, talk to them about things like sex, because it's important to develop a trust between parents and kids especially during teenage years where teenagers are trying to find themselves and gain a sense of belonging and individuality.

If I were the parent of a teenage girl, I think I'd have discussed the top of sex well ahead before it actually became an issue, so that when it became an issue, hopefully she would realize she could come to me and talk if she had questions. I would teach her early on that her body is not something to be taken for granted, it should be respected, she should always respect herself and not allow others to take advantage of her moral standards. You need to give teens their freedom, and also realize that they may not always make the right choices, but I think if you are open about things then at least they will have the knowledge to at least use protection and be safe.

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
I would ask her if she wanted to take the pill when she had a boyfriend, not before, because she wouldn't be a slut anyway ;) (not with the way I would raise her ;)).
And of course I would talk to her about condoms, which are IMO more important than the pill.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Not hard at all. Tell her what she needs to know about sex. How to be safe whilst doing it. That she shouldn't do it unless she wants to. That if she wants to, that's fine. Why getting pregnant or getting an STD (same thing, really :rolleyes: ) are bad ideas, and that they can and will happen if she isn't careful. Because if she's gonna do it, she's gonna do it regardless of her parents.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A girl in my Soc class said that the pill isn't good for you or something. Is that true>

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
First I would explain my views on how much nicer intimacy is with the right person whom you trust. However I would also explain about birth control and if necessary help her get it (provided that she was reasonably mature, not say 13!). I would much rather if a kid was going to experiment that he or she did it safely in my house with birth control than in a park or the back of a car with the risk pregnancy, disease or mugging.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would put in a cuboard or closet that no one goes in much a stack of condoms (regularily chaging them as they expire) so she has easy access to them without the embarressment and I'll know she's being safe. Condoms help prevent against STD's while the pill doesn't but I'd like her to take both at the same time so she has double the potection.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I personally think that the Pill is a personal choice for women because not every woman is able to take this form of contraception for either medical or discomfort reasons. But if I had a teenage daughter (and/or son), the most important thing to teach them about is safe sex and how to use a condom correctly. I believe that once they are educated and the taboo is gone, it's less likely that they're going to go too crazy with the sex. They'll probably still have sex, but they won't be taking any unnecessary risks and will most likely be sensible about it, assuming that I had raised a child with common sense. The thing is to trust them. And if they do make a mistake, well, what can you do except accept it and live with the consequences?

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
This is quite funny cos my friend has just had a pregnancy scare!

She gies out drinking almost every saturday(shes 16!:eek:) and she got jiggy with this 27 :eek: year old POLICEMAN!:eek:! She can't remember the night but she thinks she did the deed!LOL! she took the moring after pill but found out its only 85% effective and her period has gone strange this month so shes doin a pregnancy test this weekend!:eek: I hope shes OK! The most shoking thing is shes an intelligant girl!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts