Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:rolleyes:
:confused:

if she win, will the press have a hard time on Venus and say it was cos Serena wasn't in the draw?!?!

And has Serena pulled out to let Venus have a slam?

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
tyk101 said:
:rolleyes:
:confused:

if she win, will the press have a hard time on Venus and say it was cos Serena wasn't in the draw?!?!
Venus won't win.

And has Serena pulled out to let Venus have a slam?
Yes, but Venus will lose anyways.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yeah,yeah, it's the same for every player that will win the US-Open ----> cause Serena wasn't there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Serena pulled out because of a surgery.

Some people think that a healthy Venus would have won Wimbledon, so these people would also have liked the chances for Venus at the US Open. I think the feelings will be mixed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
!) i doubt serena would pull out of a tournament just beucase she wants to let her sister win-why doesn't she just let her win in the final if she wanted her to win it-dumb ass,
the only people her withdrawal has benifited is the belgians and i don't think she'd want to do them any favours...

2) Venus williams is the 2nd best player in the world fact! and would have 9 slams had it not been for serena- she would have beaten an other player who faced her in the last 5 slam finals she's been in- the only question mark would have been the french....
Any player who wins the open will have benifited from serena's absence- its only fitting that the person who's most likely to is her sister- the 2nd best player in the world...

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
bleh, whoever wins the USO wont give a frig what the press think about Serenas absence (unless its Kim. that girl is too damn nice)

im sure the paycheck of $1 mill ( :eek: they are getting paid crazy money now) will ensure the tabloids fall upon blind eyes and the whispers upon deaf ears :angel:

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
villa said:
2) Venus williams is the 2nd best player in the world fact! and would have 9 slams had it not been for serena-
bah, speculation is for selesrules :eek:

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
if Venus wins the USOPEN, will it be because Serena isn't there??

Regardless of how we twist it, the answer to this question has to be "Yes" for all those who think Venus is currently the 2nd best of the tour. That's what 2nd best implies.

I just realized I fall into that category too! :eek: Wait... Wait... Let me rephrase... I don't really... Huh... Well... :confused:

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
i agree with greg2, whoever wins the US Open will win it because serena wasn't there.

some people will say that whoever wins had a performance that would have been good enough to beat serena, but you're going to be more confident against anyone who isn't serena and so would probably play better, and would definately look better than what it would against Serena. I look good playing against my housemate, but as soon as i come up against anyone in the Uni team i look crap.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
No. Serena's not in the field. You can only beat the players in the field. Serena's not in the field, so whoever wins the Open will have won it fair and square. You can go back in history and say "So and so only won (insert Grand Slam) because so and so wasn't there"

Take the Graf/Seles rivarly. Many say Graf only won slams because Seles was stabbed.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
greg2 said:
yeah,yeah, it's the same for every player that will win the US-Open ----> cause Serena wasn't there :rolleyes:
Preach! If Miss Kim wins peeps are gonna hate on her sayin that if Miss Rena was there yoddy yoddy...

If Miss....

Get some rest Miss Rena! :kiss:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
it will be because she won seven matches just like anyone else who wins it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
OK, first let me say that even though Serena is not my favourite player, I am really upset for her and for tennis that she can't play. There are others catching up, but if she played she would be the fave to win, no doubt about it.

BUT, part of being a professional is about keeping yourself well, fit and uninjured enough to play. Hence, if Serena was not able to manage a full year uninjured , then whoever wins in her stead completely and utterly deserves the win because they were able to get themselves there in one piece to play. Of course it gets complicated where the injury has nothing to do with the way the player has chosen to handle her career (eg Monica's tragedy) but nevertheless a tournament is held between the 128 people who are able to play, and thus the best of those deserves the win.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i reckon venus will get a hard time if she wiins.

·
Banned
821 Posts
:eek:

This is pre much the same circumstances Graf had to deal with when shen won the 93 french in Monica's abesense. She was herself not happy about it cuz she herself knew she would have had a slimmer chance to win it had there been Monica. Venus won't be given as much credit as she would win it beating Serena without a doubt. The field has been considerably weakened by Serena's pulling out. Whoever wins should not be given too much credit.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Serena was battling knee injury last year this time. Her knee was wrapped when she lost to Chanda in LA. I guess it just deteriorated to a point where she had to do something. Venus (If she is healthy) must now be considered the favorite. However Kim is riding a hot streak and taking down all comers not named Williams. This has to do something for her confidence. So she is my second choice. I just hope they are on opposite sides of the draw. :cool:

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I think Venus had a good chance to win even if Serena was there, since she could have won the Wimby final, she won the 1st set then the injury obviously got worse. But obviously if Serena had played the US Open this year she would be the heavy favourite so in a way everyone benefits from her being out, including Venus. But if Venus or anyone else wins it will not be totally because of Serenas absence, that will just be a contributing factor (it will create easier draws etc).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts