Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because the following week Jennifer will lose points from Oklahoma so Venus will start the week FOUR POINTS ABOVE Jennifer, so a first round loss at Dubai would still put her at #1.

I'm a huge Jennifer fan but I will congratulate Venus on reaching #1 - thoroughly deserved. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
So Venus is actually playing THREE tournaments in a row??? WHY?? I don't get it. She should be leery of injuries. I know she filled in for Serena in Belgium and she's probably getting a lot of money for playing Dubai but it's not worth risking an injury.:sad:

I hope she plans to rest a bit after Dubai.:cool:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Jen is my absolute favorite but I think it is very cool that Venus will become number 1 with a win tomorrow. I really like Venus and think it is great for the game that she is playing a full schedule. Even better is a tight race for number 1 with Jen. It makes women's tennis incredibly exciting. Let's hope Lindsay can comeback soon and join the race.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well... she is probably deserve a rest..

Hopefully she won't start missing tournaments again as soon as she has reached her goal to be #1... the next goal of her should be maintaining that #1 spot.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Three tournaments in a row is not unusual. Venus has had a bye every week, and got a walkover. If she makes the Dubai Final, that's 11 matches in 3 weeks. Not a big deal as far as injury risk.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Congrats Venus! :D

You can do it!!! :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Plus she will take over 1 month off after this tournament.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Essielewis,

After Dubai, V. doesn't play until the Ericcson in mid March since she & Serena did not enter Indian Wells this Year.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Are you sure of this, Mark? By my calculations, Capriati has:

4825 points now;
defending 141 from Week 8 (OK City) last year

New total:

Venus had 4481 points at the start of the week;
was defending 113 from Week 7 (Nice) last year;
gets 195 round points for winning Antwerp;
4 Quality Points for defeating #89 Kournikova;
35 Quality Points for defeating #13 Farina Elia;
43 Quality Points for defeating #10 Mauresmo;
43 Quality Points for defeating #9 Henin.

New total:

4481 - 113 + 195 + 4 + 35 + 43 + 43 = 4688.

So it's actually SEVEN points.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but I was using faulty numbers that were off by eight points in Capriati's favor, so I was originally going to post a message saying that Capriati would be #1 by one point. :eek:

Of course, Capriati should end up at #1 following IW, if she can reach the final in Scottsdale.

Having said that, Venus is probably going to have to start worrying more about *Hingis* in the race for #1. Hingis does seem to have upped her play, and doesn't exactly have good results from the rest of the year after Dubai. Of course, after Scottsdale, Hingis will still be ~1000 points behind Venus.

Good for Venus and the Tour for her to be playing a reasonably full schedule! (I must admit, however, that I'd prefer to see *Dementieva* #1, with my preferences following that being Rubin, the Belgian girls, and Bedanova and Hantuchova. So I'm really rooting for Henin tomorrow. :p )

·
20,610 Posts
No... I did some calculations of my own. It is indeed 4 points that Venus will have over Capriati :p

You can see the calculations in the Williams Tennis Association thread in the players forum if you want to see my calculations :)

·
Banned
692 Posts
Mark I cant totally agree with u here.

Your Saying Venus weill position herself to Number 1?

Ok u are right here but what depth ha she earned it. I mean being a good overall achiever she deserves number 1 like anyone else. But If anyone in the top 5 played and won 2 tournaments in a row can sure win it to. and whatabout the field of the event I mean its not exactly strong.? any questions?

·
20,610 Posts
Linton said:
Mark I cant totally agree with u here.

Your Saying Venus weill position herself to Number 1?

Ok u are right here but what depth ha she earned it. I mean being a good overall achiever she deserves number 1 like anyone else. But If anyone in the top 5 played and won 2 tournaments in a row can sure win it to. and whatabout the field of the event I mean its not exactly strong.? any questions?
Right.... at least Venus is holding on to 2 slams and only 15 events when she becomes number 1?

What about Martina when she was number 1 last year? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
it's about time for her. this would only show that somebody has to work her ass off in order to reach the no.1 ranking.;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Disposablehero, yes I agree she's played 11 matches, but have you factored in Amelie? That girl is a really tough customer, I'm sure playing her will be like playing five matches. Even Venus said it felt like a grand slam final. Playing and her thrice in three weeks is not something I'd wish on any player easily.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts