Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
I would say meredith mcgrath, zina garrison, lori mcneil.......
someone with a lower profile, who'll commit for 3-5 years.

someone who lets the team take care of it, rather than trying too hard to create something that isn't possible, and upsetting all kind of nice, committed individual players along the way (amy, gigi, lisa, jen, alex).

Actually some of those players are a bit controversial (gigi, jen and alex) - maybe billie sees them as an easy scapegoat to use when things ain't going right LOL

Reactions: Rtael

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mary Joe Fernandez would be 2nd on my list, altho she's my all time fave!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think anyone would want that job the way some of you treat people! The legacy for most great leaders is that they do what they think is best and damn anyone else who thinks differently.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I think there are many possibilities:

Chris Evert
Martina Navratilova
Zina Garrison-Jackson
Mary Joe Fernandez
Gigi Fernandez
Pam Shriver
Lori McNeil

...not very possible but a great captain would be: Meredith McGrath!

I think it would be close between Zina Garrison-Jackson as second captain now and Martina Navratilova. These two women would be the Top 2 candidats for the USTA in my opinion. I personally would love to see Chris Evert as captain for team USA. :hearts:

·
Banned
32 Posts
Richard Williams, aided by Stefano Capriati.

Lol Pam Shriver, what does she know about tennis?

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
I doubt the people who're pissed at King would be much happier with Evert, Nav or Pammy.

Zina would be a good choice - she's had coaching experience, and Fed Cup experience, and she's not coaching anyone on an individual basis which might present a conflict of interest.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Richard Williams

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I would have to say Chris Everet as well, thing she would make an excellent captain..

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
i'd go with zina. she's experienced and fair.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Chris Everet would be by FAR this best cap!

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Chrissy has her own biases and her own (very strong) ego and, uh, "sense of self"

What makes you think her decisions would be any less controvertial?

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Richard Willaims knows the game, knows who the main players are in the executive boardrooms, and, based on the resultsof his players, in the best coach on the tour.

And of course, he has a very good relationship with the two best players in the world.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
As much as Martina I and Monica deserve it, I'm afraid that would reinforce the "send us your talented, your (will be) rich" credo that robs other countries of athletic talent. (The only athletes we really "export" are washed up baseball players who go to Japan to take advantage of the short fences and hit alot of home runs. In fact the Japanese League had to limit these "imports" to 2 per team).

·
Banned
41 Posts
Chris Evert.......coz she'll probably never ask
Williams to play Fed Cup...:)....j/k,

but she does have her own academy,
so she knows how to find young talents,

so the reason why is that i think she'll
have confidence in younger players,
and by having young players playing Fed Cup,
it's better coz they do gain experience

1 - 20 of 35 Posts