Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Is any of the money being dispersed to the players? If not, this does nothing to help support your claim.
I haven't read all the details but the LTA, which is mostly funded by Wimbledon, has announced a £20 million package to help support British tennis players, venues and officials. The British tennis community is lucky Wimbledon had insurance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is any of the money being dispersed to the players? If not, this does nothing to help support your claim.
there have been vague comments that the money will be utilised to support everyone who would be involved in the event. what that ends up looking like is anyone's guess.

Wimbledon is the only grass event that makes a big profit. Queens does OK. The rest of them are money pits for the LTA so they really won't be devastated that they don't have to run them for a year.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How does an insurance policy make it the best slam? :unsure:
Lol I’m at this same mindset. Wimbledon is the wealthiest slam by far, and had the money to afford insurance. I’m sure the other slams will follow suite in the future, but I can’t imagine Rolland Garros is raking in the cash and wants to spend 2 million a year on insurance.

If they cut the players into the insurance payout, then I agree that they are the standout slam. I think if they do, they do it on a reverse payout system where lower ranked players get more money.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A bit of a loss too, better than nothing...

While the $141 million will soften the blow, it’s still a sizable loss of revenue — according to the Daily Mail, this year’s tournament was expected to generate $309 million in revenue.
Yes, but you can also remove a whopping amount of expenses that won't be incurred with the cancellation of the tournament, starting with half a million in per diem payments to the players, another half a million for accommodation and food, and tens of millions in prize money. It's not like they're going to have a financial loss of the difference between the 309 and 141.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
Not saying I don't like Wimbledon, it's always been my favorite, but I don't think an insurance policy burnishes its credentials any.‍️

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not saying I don't like Wimbledon, it's always been my favorite, but I don't think an insurance policy burnishes its credentials any.‍️
I think it's more the foresight that the 2003 committee displayed, and the strength that subsequent committees have shown by keeping the policy in full force, even though there has been nothing even close to a pandemic in that time - until now. I'm sure they could well have used that million pound premium on other things every year, but good on them for having the guts to keep the policy going.

Obviously none of the other Grand Slam tournaments have considered that anything, let alone a pandemic, was at all likely to force the cancellation of their pinnacle events.

·
Registered
113,409 Posts
Lets wait and see. If they do play the French Open with no crowds, it might still be a great tv event
Its hard to judge. I'm looking at global markets and US stocks are flying up this week, HSI, KOSPI, ASX FTSE, DAX, CAC-40, SMI all up
There is more optimism around the world now and by October, most sports might be playing with no crowds.
Yes, that insurance was great, but athletes want to get paid, and sports will try to continue.
The UFC is first up. Lets see how that goes

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes, it just shows they are an incredibly well-run business. Whether they are the best slam as regards the tennis is a matter of personal opinion.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Contrary to the title, this can make Wimbledon seem humble and wise. After SARS they understood if something global happened movement would be limited. They knew that they weren’t above people’s health and well being and didn’t want to have to scramble for money or pressure people into seats and or lose money- so just have an easy way to cover it- insurance. Yes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts