Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
upset I can't delete posts anymore
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well would you?

I'd love the USA to win the Fed Cup, and they do lead 9-0 against Italy in Fed Cup Meetings.
But Italy I think gets the choice, and they'll probably choose clay.

But on any surface, the WS are the best choices anywhere. Even in doubles.
But I think it would be unfair for players like Glatch, Huber, and Oudin who really fought to get the US to the final, only to be relegated onto a second tier for the WS to take the glory.

Then again, maybe they wont even want to play .

ps+ Zina, drop your lawsuit. MJF got to the final and has a chance to win Fed Cup with this team. You just kinda sucked as a captain

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
MJF said she wants the WS to play, she wants the best team. I am sure Melanie and Alexa will be there. They are young and will have more time to win Fed Cups, USA wants to win and if that means having the WS play and benching the ones that got us here then so be it.:shrug: They will still feel the glory of the win I am sure.

·
Registered
33,066 Posts
I hope it will be:

Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Alexa Glatch
Liezel Huber

Alternates: Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Melanie Oudin, Jill Craybas

Yes, I would let the Williams play, but no one else who hasn't been there yet.

·
Registered
25,825 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt Glatch, Huber, or Oudin will feel like they are second-tier just because the WS are playing. They want to win just as bad as anyone and I'm sure they know having the winners of 29 slams combined playing will greatly increase their chances.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Fed Cup is about winning at the end of the day, nothing else. Yes it's unfortunate neither of them played the first two rounds but if they can make it to the finals then of course they should be allowed to play. Anyway, even if the likes of Glatch or Oudin won't play in the final, they would still have been a huge part of the winning effort.

and btw, Huber is the best in the world at what she does, she wouldn't feel second tier to anyone.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Absolutely, we want the Williams sisters to play. Kudos to the Americans for getting to the final. What happened to Glatch -- this is by far the best she's ever played. Hope she can transfer this confidence to the regular circuit.

·
Registered
44,559 Posts
The WS had faith and knew their teammates will pull it off, so they wanted them to show what they can and save their energy :p Once they know they are needed they will play if their schedule allows it

·
Banned
48,006 Posts
WS Will Win the fedcup for US and Beat Italy to dust :inlove:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Absolutely, we want the Williams sisters to play. Kudos to the Americans for getting to the final. What happened to Glatch -- this is by far the best she's ever played. Hope she can transfer this confidence to the regular circuit.
If you look at Alexa's results this has been something of a breakthrough season for her. She's been building to this and is finally back on track after her motorscooter accident.

I agree though, that if one or both of the Williams sisters wants to play it's hard to say no. If the US wins, Alexa doesn't have to pick up a racket to have earned her props and our appreciation for a great performance.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
I'm not sure we'll get both Sisters. If we can get one, Glatch or Craybas would be good for the clay.

I see the team as Venus, Beth, Glatch, and Liezel. Of course, this is in NOVEMBER. If an American gets hot, they should get the nod. We'd need Venus to win both rubbers and then partner with Liezel to win the doubles.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
If you look at Alexa's results this has been something of a breakthrough season for her. She's been building to this and is finally back on track after her motorscooter accident.

I agree though, that if one or both of the Williams sisters wants to play it's hard to say no. If the US wins, Alexa doesn't have to pick up a racket to have earned her props and our appreciation for a great performance.
I watched her at Forest Hills in 2005 and you could see the game was there. She made the semifinals that year. That accident ruined everything.

·
Registered
53,535 Posts
I'm not sure we'll get both Sisters. If we can get one, Glatch or Craybas would be good for the clay.

I see the team as Venus, Beth, Glatch, and Liezel. Of course, this is in NOVEMBER. If an American gets hot, they should get the nod. We'd need Venus to win both rubbers and then partner with Liezel to win the doubles.
Yeah, I think the team would most likely be Vee, Beth, Alexa, and Liezel. That's if we can get one of them. I wish they'd both play. :eek:

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,486 Posts
I'd certainly feel bad for anyone who worked hard to get them this far only to be bumped off in the final, but ultimately the captain needs to go with picking the best players for each tie based on who has made themselves available. If Venus and Serena make themselves available to play in the final, then I think you have to go with them even if it comes at the expense of 2 of the players who got them this far. I hope that the team stays as is though, as I think that they deserve the chance to play the final after working so hard to get there, win or lose.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you the USA, answer is Yes as Flavia and Francesca will defeat the other members with ease on clay. USA got a huge break this year with a home tie against an average Argentina team and an away tie on hardcourts against an inconsistent Czech Republic team.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The WS had faith and knew their teammates will pull it off, so they wanted them to show what they can and save their energy :p Once they know they are needed they will play if their schedule allows it
Nonsense! Noone expected this US Team to win this round. Serena, after claimimg she was injured in the Miami final, went a few days later to Spain to play an insignificent CLAY court tournament for which she probably got a nice appearance money fee. If she really cared about the Fed Cup she would have rested her injury and been part of the team. Serena cares only about Serena, then Venus. She could care less about the US winning the Fed Cup. Now that the dirty work has been done, perhaps she and her sister might want to go for the glory of the Williams Sisters by winning the Fed Cup. I would rather lose with sincere people than winning with phony people.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I'd certainly feel bad for anyone who worked hard to get them this far only to be bumped off in the final, but ultimately the captain needs to go with picking the best players for each tie based on who has made themselves available. If Venus and Serena make themselves available to play in the final, then I think you have to go with them even if it comes at the expense of 2 of the players who got them this far. I hope that the team stays as is though, as I think that they deserve the chance to play the final after working so hard to get there, win or lose.
So do I. I hope the team that took pride and wanted to play for their country and got the USA to the final are the ones playing in the final. They deserve it win or lose.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
In tracks its common to use the weaker runners to run the qualifying relay races and put the stronger runners in the final. What's so wrong with tennis doing the same?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts