Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Queen Elisabeth,

You dare ask: "Since when did Americans stopped being nationalistic"

Have you not watched the US Open? Or any of the other Teir1, teir2 tournaments in America? Clearly, nationalism doesn't apply to the Williams Sisters.

Cire

· Registered
11,104 Posts
I guess every country will support their country's players over everyone else, especially in the Fed Cup!! It's only natural!!

· Registered
2,739 Posts
Cire,

I did see the USOpen Final between Serena & Venus, and the ceremony before was a piece of nationalistic theatre i've never witnessed before in my life. But i do agree that in most tournaments nationalism in general doesn't apply for the Wiliamssisters at all. But it would surprise me very much that in a competition like the Fed Cup the crowd wouldn't back up their own players.

· Registered
17,877 Posts
since fed cup is much like the olympics on a much smaller scale, I'd say the USA will support the USA. but if it's just tennis, they'll support everyone but Vee and Ree unless it's in LA, Miami, Charleston and San Diego.

· Registered
17,877 Posts
but before then, it was all for Serena. even Serena remarked that she was surprised at the support in Charleston since she boycotted it for a few years.

· Registered
2,739 Posts
Ok, i only saw the final, i'm sorry.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Kim but if she plays for Fed Cup i support her all the way. I don't think it will be any different with the americans. And besides i'm sure that people who hate the Williams sisters so much that they won't even support them when they play for their country, don't bother to come and watch this Fed cup tie.

· Banned
1,856 Posts
cirelowe said:
I believe that there's such a desire for the Belgians to consistently challenge the WS, that even in America, I suspect the crowds would cheer the Belgians!

Cire
This "desire", like "hope", springs eternal...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Of course the crowd will cheer for their own. The levels of paranoia on display here are ludicrous... especially after the RG semi, no-one in their right mind is going to be vocally rooting for Henin amid a fiercely partisan American audience. I think it would be far more interesting if the tie was held in Belgium, just to see whether the Belgian crowd would quieten down knowing that their travelling fans hadn't behaved with much decorum at RG... that and it would significantly increase the Belgians' chances of winning, of course.

· Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
Because it would be billed as USA vs. Belgium, an American crowd would root for the sisters. If it were a regular tournament, however, they would root for Kim and Justine (using the same "David vs. Goliath" excuse that the New York crowd used last year during the Venus-Mauresmo US Open semi). ;)

· Registered
956 Posts
For those who buy into this "I always root for the underdog" crap, there's a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you. Should Venus play in the USOpen, she will be the underdog to both Justine and Kim. don't hold your breath for her support from the crowds. It makes no difference whether it's Fed Cup, the Olympics or just another regular tennis match. Some of you people have taken naivete to rediculous levels.

· Registered
20,498 Posts
cirelowe said:
......American audience support the Williams Sisters (if they are chosen) over the Belgiams (kim and Justine)? One ponders!

Cire
I saw the first round of 2003 FedCup with Williams humiliating Czech girls... about 99.9% of the crowd was still rooting for them... so sleep tight, pussy cat. :devil:

· Registered
2,406 Posts
calabar said:
For those who buy into this "I always root for the underdog" crap, there's a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you. Should Venus play in the USOpen, she will be the underdog to both Justine and Kim. don't hold your breath for her support from the crowds. It makes no difference whether it's Fed Cup, the Olympics or just another regular tennis match. Some of you people have taken naivete to rediculous levels.
And some of you have taken paranoia to ridiculous levels. IF Venus is fit enough to play in the US Open, she sure as hell isn't going to be the underdog against either of the Belgians. In case you hadn't noticed, she has quite a good record at the US Open in comparison to Henin and Clijsters, both of whom have never beaten her on hardcourts. People will cheer for the underdog if the match merits it, not through some in-built aversion to the Williams sisters.

This is the kind of issue that makes women's tennis such a drag. I'm going to be following the men's matches far more closely because I know the crowd will actually be following the tennis. Why can't they do that in the women's? Oh yes, of course - because the depth is so non-existent that people have to find something else to focus on, no matter how unrelated it is to the sport that they are playing.

· Registered
17,958 Posts
BOOOO HOOO The Williams sisters have it sooo tough. Honestly, who cares that they have millions upon millions of dollars and 10 grand slams between them, no matter where they go there are always people who somehow manage to dislike them. HOW DARE THEY! NOTHING IS EVER FAIR IN THIS WORLD. EVERY WHITE AMERICAN IS RACIST! WHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

· Registered
17,958 Posts
In case you couldn't figure it out from my previous post, I am sick and tired of all the whining about the Anti-Williams crowds. From what I have seen/heard, no one is Anti-Williams. Maybe they don't cheer as loudly for Serena as they do for Monica or Anna, but that is the choice of the individual members of the crowd. I don't see how you could call it a racist choice, but then again I seem to miss the big deal in most instances of "racism".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.