Tennis Forum banner

If Sharapova had known about the worldwide CoronaVirus outbreak, would she still retire?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharapova lost against Vekic on January 21, 2020. End of January is exactly the time, when the shit hit the fan in Wuhan and the world.
The world really didn't know back then, what was coming.

But 4 weeks and an article in VanityFair later, she retired.
In the mids of February, the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona was canceled, for example. So, things got more serious.
People were aware.

But in the meantime, Maria was typing a story for VanityFair (an exclusive sport magazine...lol)

So here is my timeline. If you have a different one, please let me know:
01/21 lost to Vekic
01/26 or so back in L.A
02/?? starts calling VanityFair, for what ever reason
02/26 that's it, retirement

11 days later, things got waaay more serious.
03/08 IndianWells gets canceled.

She now only has Sugarpova left. That's everything she got and that's what she is promoting on Instagram for weeks now
No Porsche, no Nike, no nothing. Endorsements for an active athlete are always higher of course.
So what do you think?

Was Sharapova's retirement caught out by the CoronaVirus?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Far question. I think it depends entirely on the circumstances of her contracts. Hard for us to tell if pretending to be an active tennis player for the remainder of the year would have brought her any significant financial benefits.

For years now she's been a businesswoman first and a tennis player second; if she had more to gain without needing to put in the hard work, I'd say she would have probably not retired yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Far question. I think it depends entirely on the circumstances of her contracts. Hard for us to tell if pretending to be an active tennis player for the remainder of the year would have brought her any significant financial benefits.

For years now she's been a businesswoman first and a tennis player second; if she had more to gain without needing to put in the hard work, I'd say she would have probably not retired yet.
I thank you for your answer.

I think her "Sugarpova" is produced somewhere in Spain or so.

That is why she couldn't advertise it within the last 4 months on Instagram.
Not a single word. No quote. Nothing. Her Baby. The business woman.

But, now, Spain will open up again. Maybe that will change...

·
Perpetually under-ranked.
2,566 Posts
She retired because her ranking dropped to 369, her lowest ranking since she started her career and with the next slam being RG, you do the math.

At 32, she saw no place for herself picking up her own balls at ITF tournaments. She would be the joke of the tennis world. This 'keeping up appearances' illusion of still being a tennis player to squeeze the last morsel of endorsement money would only make her look like a shyster taking advantage of a suffering world in the midst of a global pandemic. Retiring in an article in Vanity Fair meant she retired in the most Maria way possible. She did the right thing.

·
Registered
15,113 Posts
She simply had nothing to gain . I don’t see how she was going to pretend to still be an active player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
To the extent that it would have given her more time to source a meldonium replacement to revive her embarrassingly stagnant post-dope career, I suppose not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Of course she would have, even if she still had contracts, which would probably be already watered down by her ranking, the economic crisis hitting her sponsors would have made her the least priority, I doubt even for better ranked players it´s a big difference to be "active" or not during this crises and besides, she´s not in financial problems, her limited liabilities to the Sugarpova brand will not touch her millons

·
Registered
51 Posts
She has been pondering about retirement as far back as 2015. I believe she has planned her retirement for at least months. Those articles on Vanity Fair aren't being written in a moment's notice. She also booked an appearance on Shark Tank.

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
Poor Maria. She's only worth about 100 million and has nothing but an exciting carefree life of travel and doing whatever her heart desires ahead of her. 😂
😁

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
To the extent that it would have given her more time to source a meldonium replacement to revive her embarrassingly stagnant post-dope career, I suppose not.
March to July are five test-less months. Could of worked out with M* and had given her enough boost for a WC to win an MM and spare enough time for the carpet.

Too lazy to look up the half-life.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yes.

She was physically compromised before the doping ban, and 15 months off did little to heal the body enough to play a full season. She doesn't have the ability to play 8 events a year and be a contender. Her career was essentially over before she was banned. All the ban did was get her rested enough to give her career another chance to try, and put a chip on her reconstructed shoulder to keep floundering for another 30 months.

She knows that even taking a year off isn't going to transform her into a physically capable player anymore.

·
Heaux
29,751 Posts
Most likely. If her chronic forearm injuries didn't heal sufficiently (by surgery or otherwise) after the suspension, I don't think this lockdown would've miraculously cured it. She essentially couldn't hit through her BH anymore during the last few months she played. When a player loses such a renowned shot, it's curtains unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts