Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two time champ, 3 straight final apperances ... but ranked 104. Had Serena played, would Wimbledon had seeded her?

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Why are you asking WTAworld? Who here knows?
Email the Wimbledon committee responsible for it and see if you get an answer.

Reactions: Brαm

·
Super Moderator
52,619 Posts
she would of been a dangerous floater if she wasn't seeded

Imagine someone like Justine meeting Serena first round on grass :drool:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Interesting what about Steffi Graf when she was ranked 77 and seeded 4 in 1997 or 1998 when she lost to Zvereva in thrid round, yes I know you can't compare the two in terms of Wimbledon titles, however I think she deserves a seeding, although I dont agree with this practise but Serena does deserve to be seeded, for me I would picture a two time champion and woman who dominated the tour in her time, Serena I think should be seeded in the top 16 around 14 I would give her. Thats just me

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
JDLover said:
Interesting what about Steffi Graf when she was ranked 77 and seeded 4 in 1997 or 1998 when she lost to Zvereva in thrid round, yes I know you can't compare the two in terms of Wimbledon titles, however I think she deserves a seeding, although I dont agree with this practise but Serena does deserve to be seeded, for me I would picture a two time champion and woman who dominated the tour in her time, Serena I think should be seeded in the top 16 around 14 I would give her. Thats just me
I don't think they can do that anymore. But anyway, Graf missed the previous year with an injury, and won it back to back in 95 and 96. Serena lost in the 3r last year, to Craybas, and she hasn't won the tournament since 2003.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Sure they could give her a seeding. Probably #2. I mean once you throw out the standard of having to EARN your seeding on the tennis court during the preceding year, then any arguement is possible for DESERVING players.

With this foolishness, Chrissie Evert could make a comeback and be seeded #1. She would DESERVE it based on ancient glory, right?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
Andrew.. said:
They can't. The top 32 ranked players must be seeded. The order is what is up to the seeding committee.
Exactly ;) They can seed the top 32 in whatever order they want, but they can't bring someone in from outside the top 32 and give them a seed.

People may not think its fair, but i'm fairly certain thats how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Sure they can bring someone in from the outside. They can make up what ever rules they want to apply. Once they start futzing they can do whatever whim takes their fancy.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
perseus2006 said:
Sure they can bring someone in from the outside. They can make up what ever rules they want to apply. Once they start futzing they can do whatever whim takes their fancy.
They can't though. The top 32 is the top 32. They can arrange them how they want to, but they can't remove anyone.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
No...

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
I doubt it... giving seeding to someone outside the top 100 would be a huge call to make.

I guess other seeds would just have to deal with the possibilty of having a tougher than normal early round match

1 - 13 of 13 Posts