Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...can we call her 2002 clay run a fluke? She only has 2 clay titles in her career...they just happen to be the biggies Rome and Paris.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well maybe, but I think not, I just think now, people are not as intimitated by the power which the sisters bring to the game, like on clay, or other slower courts.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I don't think so.

She may not be winning many clay title at the moment, but neither is Capriati nor Venus. But they all consistently get to the Semi's and Finals. It's definitely not a fluke.

Reactions: vs1

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
its not a fluke, but it just shows that Serena isn't as good a clay courter

before Berlin, she had never advanced past the QF of any clay event...EVER

atleast Venus had won a Tier I and some others on it

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
...can we call her 2002 clay run a fluke? She only has 2 clay titles in her career...they just happen to be the biggies Rome and Paris.
Serena´s clay court events

W Paris 2002... Venus
W Rome 2002... Henin
RU Charlesston 2003... Henin
RU Berlin 2002...
SF Rome 2003... Mauresmo
Qf Charlesston 2002... Schnyder
Qf Paris 01... Capriati
Qf Rome 99... Hingis
Qf Berlin 99... Arantxa
Qf Rome 98.... Venus
4th Round Paris 98... Arantxa
3rd Round Paris 99... Mary Joe

Very impressive to See Serena has never lost in the first round of a clay court event. Her worst loses in that surface are in hands of Schnyder (who beat Pierce, Mauresmo and Capriati in that same week) and Mary Joe Fernandez a former Roland Garros Runner up.

I don´t know why you are calling her performance a FLUKE.

Reactions: selesfan

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Babygirl is no fluke on clay! :hearts:
Hopefully she'll be stepping it up next week to defend in Paris!! :)

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
i would think it was a fluke if she lost early, not a fluke that she has won those 2 big titles. this coming from a non serena williams fan...

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Oooooh she lost to Amelie... big deal!

And if she doesn't win the French Open then it means that somebody played better than her on the day. It has no baring on last year. She won last year because she was the best during those 2 weeks.

I was just waiting for someone to question her great run last year and at the beginning of this year.

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
this coming from a non serena williams fan...
Unfortunately, the thread was created by a non Serena fan also. LOL :rolleyes:

Anyways, Serena is not the best on clay. It's not a surface that compliments her or Venus's game, however I'm amazed that she did win the French even when this is a surface that she is not the best on.

This year will be a new challenge for both her and Venus on this surface. I wish both of them good luck in Paris. :)

Reactions: vs1

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rolleyes: Great, now people are telling others who I root for and who I don't :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I may not be Serena's biggest fan, but I don't root against her

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
DiVaMoNiCaSeLeS said:
Oooooh she lost to Amelie... big deal!

And if she doesn't win the French Open then it means that somebody played better than her on the day. It has no baring on last year. She won last year because she was the best during those 2 weeks.

I was just waiting for someone to question her great run last year and at the beginning of this year.
As i said i other threads, Serena should not win every match she plays. No one does. Even less with the great talent that womens tennis has nowadays.
She is human and she can lose.
4 straight slams on the different surfaces has already shows what she is capable of.
Thinking of a FLUKE after what she`s done, is not only mindless but also stupid and with a little of jealously after his fave (which i don`t really know who is) has not been able to acomplish what Serena has.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
well, i think it would depend on how early she loses. If she exits before the QF..then yes, I would think so (maybe). If she gets to QF then I would think not..and that maybe the other players improved. If she gets to the SF or does better..then I think definitely not!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Shes had lots of great performances on clay. Of course its not a fluke. Shes had a better clay career than Venus anyway, I'd actually say Venus' final last year was a fluke because she didnt have a tough draw and didnt win any other big clay title while Serena did :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
If Serena loses in Paris I'm going to organise a fucking huge celebration party. :devil:

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Experimentee said:
Shes had lots of great performances on clay. Of course its not a fluke. Shes had a better clay career than Venus anyway, I'd actually say Venus' final last year was a fluke because she didnt have a tough draw and didnt win any other big clay title while Serena did :rolleyes:
have to disagree on that on. the way see played against chanda and monica was brilliant, and it is not her fault she drew fernandez in the semis (who see summarily dismissed anyway), whereas serena in reality could have easily lost to capriati in the semis.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don´t know why you are calling her performance a FLUKE
It's rather simple,
Anything to take the sting out of Venus losing 4 consecutive slams to baby sis.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Fluke?

Than you would have to call all say Lindsay Davenports Grand Slams a fluke, for she couldn't win Wimbledon again, Usopen nor Australia.

You'd have to say Jennifer' French Open was a fluke from 2001. you see where im going at? When a player wins a tournie, you can't say that their clay run that time was a fluke. You have greats that won like back to back in the past, than lost 1 year, and come back the following year and swept like the years before. But Serena will run away with her 5th straight.

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
:rolleyes: Great, now people are telling others who I root for and who I don't :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I may not be Serena's biggest fan, but I don't root against her

:rolleyes: Dallas you are too funny. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
mentos said:
I don´t know why you are calling her performance a FLUKE
It's rather simple,
Anything to take the sting out of Venus losing 4 consecutive slams to baby sis.
unfortunately, I think you are right mentos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts