Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The win over Venus was great. The last signficant player she hadn't beaten, and her first Slam Semi in 29 months. Not to mention vindication for her on a couple of other levels. I was pretty excited.

Monica has beaten Martina. 2 in a row right now, in fact. So this would not be a new achievement.

The top 10 rankings are very obviously the 10 best players in the world right now. All 4 players in the top half are in that group. Two of them have given Monica nail-biters. The other two have actually beaten her on occasion. A win over Martina is NOT a title.

Monica did not fly 9000 miles to play a few rounds, lose to a player she is "supposed to lose to", collect her QF check, and go home, despite what Wertheim tells you. She proved that against Venus. I don't think she made that journey with a Final berth as her goal either.

Monica flew around the world to try and win the Australian Open. When and if she does that I'll celebrate, not before.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
disposable,

So what? You enjoy your wait; we will enjoy our celebrating! I don't care if you DON'T celebrate, and I hope you don't mind if I DO!! :cool:

To each his own, said the old maid as she kissed the cow. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice words, mon....

This island will rock if she wins, because I will go absolutely nuts. But I agree...she has to win it first.

Here's cheering on to another two victories this week!

·
Banned
692 Posts
I will be happy any way if martina looses or win especially if she does win. But im not holding n e wagers on it. Lets just see how it turns out!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
ALL I WANT TO HEAR WHEN MONICA GIVES HER AUSTRLIAN OPEN WOMENS CHAMPION INTERVIEW IS HEAR tHAT GREAT GIGGLE OF HERS thAT WE ALL KNOW AND lovE!!!:bounce: :bounce:

C'MON MONICA, QUEEN OF AUSTRALIA!!!

As much as I like Marti, she is still so young and has many many more chances to win a slam, but Monica's chances are getting slimmer and slimmer, but I want her to prove that wrong! It might not be Wimbledon, but she doesn't need it to become a legend!!

C'MON MON, GET YOUR GRANDSLAM COUNT IN DOUBLE diGITS!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daniel_Forever, Monica cannot become a legend. She would first have to stop being a legend, and that could never happen.

·
Registered
25,264 Posts
Lets go Monica, may this marks the beginning of your redomination, fly higher and higher, Monica :D

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
What I meant was, be inducted to the hall of fame. Sorry if you mis-judged it!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Dan, that one is no good either. :D

The Hall Of Fame has long since been waiting for her to retire so they can put her in. She could have walked away at the end of 91 and gotten in. :cool:

What this title could do is make her a leading candidate in "All-Time Greatest" debates again.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I would be celebrating if Monica made the finals!! :p :p

·
Everything Fades Away
129,509 Posts
I will celebrate too, if she makes it to the final. C'mon Monica, kick her ass!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
To be honest, I have been celebrating ever since Monica came back from the stabbing, and every time she steps on the court, I celebrate again. Like all of us, I continually celebrate her courage and her spirit, and am THRILLED to see the sparkle back in her eyes! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
so, if Monica wins the australian open, will this be a bigger "comeback" story than the Jen comeback story? I'm not pitting the two against each other in terms of the difficulties they've both faced, but just wondering how people think it will play out in the media. since Monica has won a post-stabbing slam, maybe this will not be seen as big a comeback as Jens story.
my guess is that it won't be as big a story in the media as Jens comeback.
well, we'll see. I would really like her to win, but am VERY nervous about tonight's match vs hingis. VERY NERVOUS. I'm putting all my Venus hopes onto Monica. In the past, I have been a jinx to Monica - she plays well and plays well and then I decide to tune into a match and she gets beaten...hopefully that won't be the case tonight.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think it's just great to see when Monica wins and keeps smiling

·
Registered
25 Posts
I WILL NOT CELEBRATE !!
okay. Maybe I will juuuuuussstttttt a little bit.

If Monica takes the whole thing, then I can die happy

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
First of all, "hi there"...

Now, I'm afraid I have to disagree with something you said, dear.

Monica did not fly 9000 miles to play a few rounds, lose to a player she is "supposed to lose to", collect her QF check, and go home, despite what Wertheim tells you. She proved that against Venus. I don't think she made that journey with a Final berth as her goal either...
Tsk, tsk. Our girl has stated over and over that she plays tennis because she loves it, (not for the titles, record books, etc...)
So IMO she flew "9000 miles" because she loves tennis, (and her fans) feels fortunate to make a living at it, and enjoys the challenges it represents.

If you want to wait to celebrate, far be it for me to try to convince you to do otherwise. As for me, I'm absolutely ecstatic at her getting to the semis. (But then, I celebrate just to see her happy, healthy and on the tour-- period.)

The wins (especially the big ones) are simply layers of icing on an already delicious cake.

:kiss: ~ec

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I can't help but be thrilled.

Win or lose against Martina, Monica has played some great tennis recently :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts